M14 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering, if so what your master blaster 1911 or M9?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
1911 built by an ex-USMC gunsmith years ago but still tight as a drum.
I could never get used to the grip width or the pull length on the M9.

·
Super Moderator
11,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1911 built by an ex-USMC gunsmith years ago but still tight as a drum.
I could never get used to the grip width or the pull length on the M9.
Build spec's what do you think is the most important too a well running accurate pistol too the least, or better put were does one start the order of the build/tuning?

#1 side and frame fit.
#2 barrel bushing too slide
#3 bushing too barrel
#4 barrel too hood
#5 barrel feet too slide stop.
etc.etc.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I haven't got into bullseye yet but, when I do, I have an AMU built 1911 waiting in the safe. Hands down the most accurate 1911 I have ever owned!

·
Registered
460 Posts
I have a S&W model 41 for rimfire and a S&W model 52 .38 wad cutter for center fire. Can't shoot either one worth a hang but I have fun trying.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Build spec's what do you think is the most important too a well running accurate pistol too the least, or better put were does one start the order of the build/tuning?

#1 side and frame fit.
#2 barrel bushing too slide
#3 bushing too barrel
#4 barrel too hood
#5 barrel feet too slide stop.
etc.etc
I leave the fit up to the gunsmith. The biggest thing to me is the feel of the trigger. I shoot a Marvel with a custom lower for .22 and I actually had to have him take it up to about 3lb because it was too clean and felt too light.
Have a number of CF guns that I play with S&W 52 (fine trigger), 1911 custom 9mm, Benelli .32.
I have been traveling too much to shoot this year but going to Perry anyway!

·
Senior Chief, U. S. Navy, Ret
407 Posts
Colt GM Mark IV/Series 70 built by Don Nygord and a S&W Model 41.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Ive got a 41. A marvel conversion and a custom
Mkii ruger. All of which i shoot poorly. Ive got a springfield range officer i shoot as a wad gun and am getting ready to have a brand new milspec sent out to be a ball gun. Also have one of the new gold cup national matches

·
Super Moderator
11,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Well here is the deal, before I moved away from Az I scored a sweet deal on a SS SA made in 1992 it was in a box completely apart, at the time I thought it was set up as some dorky bowling pin action blaster. It had some hookey grip panel scope mount but no scope. Briley slide racker and some wierd ghost ring cross hair dove tailed front sight. The one grip was Pach wrap that was cut off so only one side was used. The grip safety was a rat tail with ring hammer the trigger is some black plactic adj that is now soft and gooey from age. From the looks it was in very sad shape.

After getting it home and giving it a good cleaning it was still very sad looking, but clean and put back together.

Three years later and collecting a few small parts here and there I started too look at it again, like I need another project. Anyway turns out the cut for the Briley slide racker is the same as a BOMAR BMCS, I think I got lucky here and dodged a bullit? Kensight makes a BOMAR copy.

The front sight dovetail the best I can measure/eyeball with my caliper is .330x60*x.070 so the question is? Is this common for dovetails sights?

The ring hammer and rat tail grip are DISCO, replaced by a Colt spur and Colt SS grip safety, never been a fan of the SAI nub of a safety so that is also a SS Colt tear drop. Main spring housing is a SS 30lpi that I don't remember who made or where I got it, fits well with no gap on the sides. Matching front strap checkering can wait. Current grip panels are full checkerd rosewood there is a faintly readable IMBEL 2000 under the left side.

Slide, frame, barrel have almost no slop/play, feels like oiled ball bearings. The bushing and barrel are tight at the muzzle without needing a bushing wrench too remove it from the slide. Barrel hood too slide has very little springback up and down, so I will blast this one away and replace it in the future with a KART. I hear they shoot both cast and jacketed bullits well. Bushing will be a NM that I picked up somewhere for cheap, so why not use it.

I'm no fan of all a all SS 1911's they look too pimpish, with this being the case I will get the slide baked with something Black for a two tone look. The rounds and small parts of the frame I can blast with some Alum Oxide from a glass etching kit and call it good too go.

Sights, trigger job, ditch the hex head grip screws for some plain SS screw heads, and I think it will be ready for some HB Bullseye action?

·
Registered
227 Posts
It's been a few years but used to a LOT. Indoor gallery in winter and any match that could be had locally in the summer.

High Standard for a 22, Clark long slide for 45 and another Clark for hardball. They all shoot great.

Phil, your comments on the SA pistol seem to be what I recall having worked in an LGS in the early 90's. Standard grade were had a very tight fit. May not need much in the way of tightening. The barrels were typically fairly tight as you've mentioned.

FWIW you may want to try it as is at 50 yards and see what the outcome is. The original barrel could be adequate and the bushing/hood/lug fitting to be done after you get in some practice with it 'as is'.

Check the rule book, I'm not sure if a dovetailed front sight is ok from the no external mods standpoint. It hopefully will be. This is only for a legal hardball pistol, not an issue in the 45 cal class.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts