M14 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know every rifle cartridge has a max and trim too length.
My question is do you guys always trim back to trim too length after every firing or let them grow toward max length then trim back?

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
A trim should work for a few firings. I usually trim a bit shorter so the brass can grow after 4 or 5 firings like you said. Then I''ll check the cases length to see if I want to put em through another few firings. I trim to 2.005ish. (+- .005).
I'm sure you do, but Keeping track of once, twice...etc. a case has been fired is a good thing to do.
More consistancy with results and easier to see when brass will start to show its age.

Deuces

·
Registered
9,270 Posts
It depends on your goal.

If you build ammo that is designed for general duty blasting then I'd trim them to minimum the first time and then see how much they grow after the first firing and resizing. If you only get a couple of thousands of stretch then I'd stick with the minimum trim-to-length so that you only trim them once or twice in their usable life.

If you want max range and accuracy then I'd trim-to-max length all the time. Long range accuracy usually requires hotter than normal loads and a longer case will allow just a little more powder and slightly faster speeds

Then too, I've seen brass that stretches beyond the max trim-to-length on every firing and in that case I'd only trim to maximum length and then I'd trim them every time I resize them.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
1.995min- 2.015max. This is what Rammac above tought me a few months ago.
I have some that are trimmed to 1.9995 and they fired fine. I did adjust after those few to 2.005 to feel at ease.

Deuces

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I trim each and every time, I have my trimmer set for 2.007" +/- .002" and only bump the shoulder back .003" for semi auto and neck size for bolt gun until it get's tight then bump it .001"

·
Premium Member
15,776 Posts
I run batches of 500 and have the Giraud set so they come out at right under 2.00.
That is just one of the stages that get hit on every reloading. Most of the time nothing is removed and then all of a sudden one is just a hair long. I have been using an RCBS SB X-die so nothing should ever need trimming more than once.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts