M14 Forum banner

Another Tiger in the USA!

1277 11
Aloha,

Taz asked me to post these pics of his "tiger striped" stock for him. When I saw the pics, I thought "Holy Cow"!!! That is Gorgeous!!! So, I quickly put these pics up so that I could make this post!

I hope Taz comes by soon to tell us more about how he got this stock, and if he refinished it, how he did it... etc. Now, this will be a GREAT "stock" report to hear!

Aloha and Best Wishes,

Tom O.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Oh my, that is a beautiful stock! Wow... 8O

Congrats Taz!! :D

·
Registered
357 Posts
Dig:
Thanks for posting the pix! As I go along, maybe I'll learn how to post them myself. Not EVEN gonna try the animation, I'll leave that to the master.

I found the stock on ebay, and it was very dark. I could see some striping, so I took a chance. When I got it, I stripped it with CitriStrip. I found two hairline cracks in it. I had refinished several walnuts, but was confident enough to try repair. I sent it to Rick Borecky, and he said he could fix it, and wanted to know if I wanted him to refinish it. Since I knew he was much more experienced than I, I told him to finish it however he thought the striping would show up best. I'm not sure what he used, but he did an awesome job, and at a VERY fair price. Andrew Preistly saw it, and said it wasn't true tiger striping, just "gnarly grain". But, the way he described tiger striping, mine is. Dark and light parts switch when the angle of light is changed.

I currently have all my GI parts ready, and am in the process of swapping for a SA receiver. When I get her assembled, I'll try get some pix (Dig?) posted. Thanks, Taz

·
Registered
144 Posts
Refinishing

Taz,

As I said earlier, it sure is a nice stock. If in the future you ever want to try redoing one yourself (or anyone else, for that matter), I'd be happy to help you out. I've done quite a few various stocks and it's really not that hard. Right now I've got a LRB rifle that I built myself sitting in a birch tiger that I redid myself. It gives you a sense of self-satisfaction when you look at it. Take care and have a great Thanksgiving.

Darrell

·
Registered
357 Posts
You're exactly right. It would be real easy to buy a ready to fire rifle, or just tell someone to build you one, but it's like of like taking a deer with a cartridge you loaded yourself. Also, I figure if I build it, doing what I can, I'll learn and know much more about the function. I have had several people recommend some really good 'smiths (Fulton, Ron Smith, etc.) to install the barrel and headspace the bolt. I even have had several offer to do if for me. I'm really tempted, but on this first one, I think I'm going to go with a good smith here locally. He does have experience with military gas guns, and I know he will let me watch him while he does his part, and then let me work in his shop while I assemble the rest of it. If it doesn't turn out, I can also have it reworked, and I'll chalk it up as a learning experience and go the other route on the next one. Oh, did I say next one?

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Aloha Taz...

As you can see... everyone here appreciates nice things!!! Hey, quite a few of the members here are also from Texas!!! Wow! Pretty cool!

Posting these pics were my pleasure and no problem! Definitely send the finished rifle pics and I will post them as well.

Aloha and Best Wishes,

Tom O.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.