M14 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The buzzword, or buzz phrase, is "Common sense Firearms Laws." The federal government here make an announcement today that will tend to further normalize the ownership of firearms in Canada. it will be recalled that previous governments had been making ownership effectively illegal, treating owners like actual felons. The new changes are technical but potentially profound, esp in that when passed the new laws will defang provincial authorities that were ramping up harassment against owners after the Feds had cancelled the long arms registry last year, the one that uselessly burned up about $2 billion in past years.

Someone has reminded me that, before 1968, Canadians had the same gun rights as anyone in the USA, and now we are about halfway back, and still continuing to turn back the night- hopefully. Wish us luck!

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, Canada is the only country that I know of that's removing restrictive gun laws instead of adding them. Living here, I have to like that.

·
Registered
8,481 Posts
Good for you brother, We've done allright lately in some of the red states , I wish we could get more of our states headed in the right direction, although there are a few I have lost all hope for.

Reactions: Sweets

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
I remember...
in the not too distant past ...
working in small towns throughout rural Saskarchewan erecting steel buildings.
Small towns ....
as in so small that they usually had only one hotel, which doubled as the local pub.

Slipping down to the pub after work one could see that almost every vehicle parked outside the pub was a pickup truck, with a gun rack in the back window. Usually with a .22 rifle, a pump shotgun, and a "sporterised" .303 Lee Enfield out on public display ...
and most of the hot Summer days, with the windows rolled down.

That was then and this is now ... try that today snd it would turn i to a SWAT team callout.

The times they are a' changin'.
But perhaps we might actually get some "common sense" back i to ourCanuckistanni gun laws.
Perhaps ...
all I know is that I can buy a Chinese Norinco T97 Bullpup and a Norinco M14 without any pper trail. Sadly, the THREE new Norinco M4gry AR 15s that I just bought still need paper.
One can hope ...
LAZ 1

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
Yup, "common sense" is one of the buzzwords the anti's use down here...

But, wait...there's more!

"reasonable"
"gun safety"
"comprehensive"
"universal background checks"

It seems the infection has headed your way....

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
I was living in rural farmland Ontario, Canerduh in the late 60s early 70s . . I remember open carrying a 1911 to the local hardware store in Thamesville to make sure to get the proper ammo for it . . I was 16 yrs old, that was 1970. Also remember my Uncle Roger had a Thompson, don't know what the deal was on that . . this was in the Kent Bridge/Chatham area . . I attended HS in Ridgetown . .

The Times They Are a Changin'

1 - 8 of 8 Posts