M14 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have read posts on lenses shooting rifle w/irons and with scopes. Understand concept of using single distance lens only using scope by adjusting scope eye piece.

What about using single RX distance only if you are shooting RH and left dominant? My rt eye is also weaker and sometimes closes and I have difficulty getting it to open. I sometimes have to block the left lens so I can open both eyes to use the right. This is for shooting scoped rifle.

Also how about shooting a shotgun. If I open both eyes I sometimes see a double target when left takes over. I have used scotch tape on left lens at times to give the right to look down the rib but the obstructed vision is irritating. Thinking single distance lenses both eyes or regular progressive right lens and distance only on left might work for shotgunning only.

Comments please.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Left handed and right eye dominance here. At least with pistol cross dominance works. I ended up shooting rifles right handed. Now I can shoot left or right handed with a lot of dry fire practice to strengthen the left eye. Still shoot rifles better right handed.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Smoothy

Yes I also have no real issues with handgun, shooting at times with left eye closed or slight body shift and shooting with dominant left eye.

Have tried rifle left hand and can but more comfortable right hand. Only real issue is the once in a while trying to get lazy right open. Unpredictable when it occurs (sometimes when aiming for long periods before the shot). A patch solves it but do not always have the time under hunting situation. Deer do not always cooperate and wait for me to rig up patch.

Shot clays (trap) when I lived in Australia 1991-1999 closing left eye. Shot about 5000 targets per year in local competition and did alright but one eye does limit field of vision.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
Lived with cross dominance and shooting for 60+ years now. Doubt I will change now. 😁 Thanks tho.
I have the same problem! I grew up right eye dominate and was taught to shoot that way all my life being a 'lefty'... then... had a head injury and had my eye dominance changed... Can no longer shoot open sighted handguns worth beans any more!... But did get my driver's license back after a while...
Have to use a scope now.

·
Eye Master
4,121 Posts
If you are cross-eye dominant, you need to block out the dominant eye.

1. Opaque eye patch. Not a good idea. THere is some sympathetic dilation of pupils, so if one dilates or constricts, the other will follow. So when you shutter one eye, the good eye will dilate in response.
2. Translucent blinder, like scotch tape. Works well, causes the brain to disregard the blurry image, but allows both eyes to dilat properly.
3. Use a +2.0 Add to +3.0 Add lens in the non shooting eye. Here you will force the non shooting eye to focus so close that the target is uselessly blurry, but the good news is that now that eye can see logbooks clearly, or if you opt for the stronger +3.00, you can see the sight settings while slung up.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you are cross-eye dominant, you need to block out the dominant eye.

1. Opaque eye patch. Not a good idea. THere is some sympathetic dilation of pupils, so if one dilates or constricts, the other will follow. So when you shutter one eye, the good eye will dilate in response.
2. Translucent blinder, like scotch tape. Works well, causes the brain to disregard the blurry image, but allows both eyes to dilat properly.
3. Use a +2.0 Add to +3.0 Add lens in the non shooting eye. Here you will force the non shooting eye to focus so close that the target is uselessly blurry, but the good news is that now that eye can see logbooks clearly, or if you opt for the stronger +3.00, you can see the sight settings while slung up.
That add is to close RX (or to the distance RX)? Thanks

·
Eye Master
4,121 Posts
Yes, the ADD value is the inverse of the focal length (in meters). An ADD of 2 will focus you at 1/2 meter ( about 20"). An ADD of 3 will focus you at 1/3 meter (about 12 inches).

Focusing that close will make objects at distance seem fuzzy, and if they are fuzzy enough, your brain ignores them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.