M14 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Fort Lewis, WA is another place to shoot. The base has opened range 15 "The Sportsmans Range" to the public. The cost is $4.50 for those who have a valid military ID and $5 to those who do not. And one free target.

The range has rifle and pistol spots. The pistol is 10 & 20 yards while the rifle is 25, 50, 100, 200, & 300 yards. They have shooting benches on every station and it has a roof.

Hours are 10:00AM to 4:00PM Saturday and Sundays. from July through October they are open Friday through Sunday.

Directions:
From Hwy 512 exit @ Pacific Ave and head south to Spanaway. At the Y take Hwy 507 south, go about 5 - 6 miles and turn right @ Ft. Lewis East gate. From the east gate go about 1.5 - 2 miles and range 15 is on the right.

Keep in mind you are on Federal installation and your subjected to searches. Make sure that your ammo and guns are locked up separately during transport and unloaded. Your (CPL) Concealed Pistol License is NOT valid on post.

I like to shoot at the very end (right) of the rifle line. I normally wear a purple or camo hat with the W logo and shoot remodeled Mausers and M1 Garands. Come early spots fill up fast. MCORPS1

·
Registered
135 Posts
That is great news. I'll look into this more. Sounds like fun to me. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Thanks BrokenVet! I used to shoot on the M60 range back in the 80's when you could just drive onto the base. Times have really changed!!

I still come down sometimes with the County when we train with the Ft. guys. I haven't ever come down as a sport shooter though. I wonder what the Ft.'s take on off duty LEO's is?

It would be a good place for an alternate meet up for the group. Can you check into what it would take for a group meet at the range? I could bring my new to me Devine down. (bribe intended;-)

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mercman,

Not sure how they would handle LEO's. From what I have heard of federal, they only recognize federal.

I will check on the group meet.

·
Banned
937 Posts
Ft. Lewis in the Good Old Days

Fort Lewis, WA is another place to shoot. MCORPS1
I remember the good old days of the late 70’s and all the 80s well. The NW Long Range association use to host three long range matches at KD-22 every summer, sixty shots total. 20 at 300, 20 at 600 and 20 at 1000 yards. And the Washington Army National Guard hosted the 41st Division matches at KD-22 over the 4th of July weekend in the 80s and early 90’s. Yeppers, back in the good old days when Lewis was an open post and the 9th Division had a MTU. We use to hold team practices with the RA guys once a month. We practiced all day Saturday and then had a 50 shot team match on Sunday morning. Those were great days back then when you had command support. Back when there was a real interest in training the trainer in both the RA and in the ARNG and the USAR. Back when getting competent NCOs trained to be able to teach Soldiers how to shoot better was a priority.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Unfortunate that they only go out to 300. It would be worth the trip for me if they hit 500+

·
Registered
639 Posts
Saturday - bluebird day. I decided to try out this Range 15. Packed my gear and got there about 10:30. The range was full. fortunately they have a wait list and I only had two on the list in front of me.

One of the guys got aggravated and bugged out about the time his turn came up. He was pissed because people were shooting across lanes. I think that got fixed but he just didn't like the company there. I thought the range would be real strict, but it seemed just a little less than that. One guy had his rifle on a bipod sitting on the ground pointed at the back of the shooting line. I asked the range master to look at that. I usually don't try to get into those things, but there comes a point where I might say something.

So, you pick up your target board when someone brings one back in. And they call your name on the PA when your turns comes up. Actually, things cleared up by 12:30, so no wait then. Looks like everybody was in a rush to make the first shift.

I was the only one shooting out to 200 yards, and it took so long to get my target out there and get back while all the others were waiting. The range master mentioned that I might want to drive out there.... I thought he was joking. However, there is a driveway that goes up the edge of the range and all the way back around. I might try that sometime.

I shot at a metal target 300 yards out, but couldn't tell if I hit it. Probably need a spotter. I wonder if they would let me put some orange bright paint on the metal?

I did pretty good at 200 yards, the rifle is deadly accurate. I fired at the the outer rings because I couldn't really see hits in the dark center of the range issued target. I would paste one of those splatter targets over the center next time. after about sixty rounds I wasn't doing so well. Hmmm.. checked the Basset scope mount and the gas plug.. they were ok. I knew something was wrong so I decided to call it a day. Then I found that my rail mount bipod had shaken loose. I'm always learning something.

Breeze was blowing in my face then shifted a little but didn't seem to be an issue at 200 yds. Then I noticed that the dustups were barely drifting, so windage didn't seem to be much of an issue.

Pretty good range. I wouldn't normally want to be on the range on a weekend, but they are on weekends right now. July - October, they also open up on Fridays. I might like to see how busy it is on a Friday.

I found the base East Gate to be four miles from the Roy Y and Range 15 to be three miles in from the gate

I decided to go the the gun shop on Canyon Rd. to pick up another 20 round mag and was almost shocked to see the Dag battle packs up to $139 from $109. One of the guys said something about the price of copper going up. He indicated ammo prices were going up. So, I dropped by Surplus Ammo in Lakewood and picked up two MEN packs for $89 ea. They also had two packs of South African for about the same price but only 160 rounds. They said that South African was harder to find. And they had boxes of 250ea Bitterroot Valley, don't remember the price, but we figured that the MEN was the best buy. So prices can vary widely, depending on what the retailer thinks the supply and demand will bear.

Anyway, the range seemed like a civilian range with all the typical stuff going on. No fifty cal going off or auto fire. However, they got 300 yards to play with.

·
Registered
639 Posts
And.... I forgot to mention that the shooting benches are fixed in height and are set somewhat low. I had to create a booster seat by sitting on my ammo box.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Thanks for the range report. I may try it some day as I have a few military buddies I can bring too, my regular club only allows one guest. I second the heads up about Surplus Ammo, great bunch to do business with and good prices on most ammo.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts