M14 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I'm assuming my rear sight should be easy to adjust eh?
yeah... doesnt seem so...My windage knob, doesnt like to move at all. and the elevation knob doesnt do jack for the rear "peep hole" and I have no idea how to actually centre the rear sight...using the lines on the rear of it that are vertical it is all the way to the right, no idea how to change it..

[This is my actual first firearm keep in mind that I've really had to do anything...yeah civi life..]

So since i've been researching the M14 to the moon, I've learned a lot [mostly from this forum] but no idea what I'm doing wrong..Elevation knob doesnt seem to do anything.

Shifty

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
that depends.

how good are you with a jar of pickles... i mean a real booger.

bare hands or are you tappin it on the counter first?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BIG UPDATE: I did some staring, thinking and put some strength to it and actually centred the rear sight, but that doesnt really solve my problem with the knobs not really working lol

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
okay okay, now i feel stupid i didn't figure this out earlier..got it centred, got the windage knob working i believe and the elevation but is the elevation knob suppose to wiggle? i doubt it. its pretty lose. and whenever i tighten the screw down it moves the rear sight up and down. when i adjust the sight again it loosens the screw?

shifty

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
1) The 'screw head' in the center of the elevation knob should be firmly tight. Use a screwdriver and turn clockwise. The screw will tighten and the ramp will rise, when the ramp is at the top it will stop - just snug-up the screw a tiny bit more.

2) The 'nut' in the center of the windage knob is used to adjust how much force is needed to rotate both the windage and elev knobs. The nut moves in 1/2 rotation 'jumps' - you'll feel it drop into place. Turn the nut counter-clockwise to make the knobs move more easily. If the nut is difficult to turn with a screwdriver, then use your thumb to press hard inward on the screwhead of the elev knob while turning the nut. The windage knob should not turn when the nut is turned.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
If your rear sight is all the way to the right then center it and move your front sight to bring it to zero. My front sight on my polytech is just about hanging off the dovetail.
Bob

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone, got it all sorted out and good to go! Bringing it to the range tomorrow for the first time since i got it...hoping it shoots good. only thing I'm waiting for is some proper grease and a castle nut screw.

shifty

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
you can go to the auto parts store and get any lithium grease.

i bought a can of coastal brand grease, put a couple tablespoons in a tin, then spray some rem oil into it untill you get it a bit thinner.

so then you have a good grease, with teflon!

thats kinda my back up though, stuff smells like burt bacon....

Tetra gun grease smells good so thats what i use most of the time.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
shot it today! Only put 40-45 rounds through it, however it worked flawlessly..i was planning on properly sighting it in, but i said screw it and just shot for fun aha!
Went home and finished making up the gas system shim for it so even better there. lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts