M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well we all like to show off our cool stuff and I'm no different so here's a little eye candy for the EBR fans. Pretty sure this is the final configuration for this one.
Bought this a few months ago and like I do, I disassembled it for inspection. Found it needed a good cleaning and a new op rod guide and the folks at Sage were happy and quick to oblige. Thanks to Tammy and Sage. I was struggling a little with a DCSB scope mount but decided that i'd prefer a receiver mounted scope mount instead so I went with a Sadlak and a Leupold VXR Patrol 3x9 with Leupold rings, all bought as a package from a member here. Another good deal and easy transaction here on M14.com. The sadlak fit the receiver perfectly and after milling off the first three recoil lugs of the top rail, it fit the EBR chassis with no issues. Little heavy but rock solid. The VXR Patrol is a really decent scope for the price.
Hope to get it to the range soon.

Here are the details on the build:
Rifle started as a SAI SOCOM but about all that's left from SAI is the receiver and barrel.
NOS TRW bolt
SEI extended bolt stop
SEI Gag cylinder -- Shimmed
SEI Gas lock
SEI SOCOM gas plug
Sadlak NM op-rod spring guide
Chrome silicon op-rod and hammer springs
New one-piece forged op-rod
NOS USGI SA trigger group
Tritium front sight
Troy Claymore muzzle brake
Coated piston
Atlas Bipod and ADM QD attachment.

Sorry for lousy cell phone pics...

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks guys although I can't take a lot of credit for the build. I bought the rifle mostly in the condition it's in other than replacing the op rod guide and adding the optic and mount...that and a thorough cleaning and inspection. I did notice that the crown on the barrel (if you can call it that...it's more just a bevel or countersink) isn't very concentric with the bore so I'm not expecting a whole lot AFA accuracy. Hopefully get to an outdoor range soon.
She is a mean lookin' lil' thang, isn't she. GI5
Jury is still out on the scope, too...heard a lot of complaints about the reticle but this isn't a paper puncher, it's a battle rifle. I figure with a max of about 500yds, it should be fine on man size targets. We'll see. Glass is awesome and for it's size it's very light.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Nice stick!

( I would flip the scope rings around so the nuts are on the left side for ejection clearance )

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
That's a great suggestion! Thanks!
NP.
Been there and done that.......

Grease up your rifle good and tighten the top chassis rail screws and OP rod guide block , double check scope mount then fire it like you stole it!

·
Registered
510 Posts
Niiiiiiiiiiiiice! Looking forward to getting my M-1A back out to the range. Just ordered a Sadlak NM gas piston, so I will probably wait until it arrives so I can test it for accuracy against my stock SEI one... I didn't get the grooved piston as I intend to feed it a lot of M-80 as well as the 168/175 SMK's.... Actually haven't fired it since I installed the Sadlak NM spring guide for that matter......

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
NP.
Been there and done that.......

Grease up your rifle good and tighten the top chassis rail screws and OP rod guide block , double check scope mount then fire it like you stole it!

Nice looking rifle!
I wish I could get a different grip to fit my stock. That Ergo has GOT to go...either that or I'm going to do some serious re-shaping.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Niiiiiiiiiiiiice! Looking forward to getting my M-1A back out to the range. Just ordered a Sadlak NM gas piston, so I will probably wait until it arrives so I can test it for accuracy against my stock SEI one... I didn't get the grooved piston as I intend to feed it a lot of M-80 as well as the 168/175 SMK's.... Actually haven't fired it since I installed the Sadlak NM spring guide for that matter......
Is there really an accuracy difference between the coated piston and the standard one? Probably one of the last upgrades I would consider. This rifle is supposed to have a SEI gas cyl and coated piston but the piston is silver. If it's coated, it's not Ti coated.
Edited: just looked at the SEI website and it looks like it is the SEI unit. Guess it's GTG.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I asked this to a previous poster and figure I'll ask you as well.

Did you lap and headspace the new bolt?

Reactions: sfoxwell

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I asked this to a previous poster and figure I'll ask you as well.

Did you lap and headspace the new bolt?
I didn't install the bolt (or have it installed). I bought the rifle as is, but it's probably not a bad idea to check. Thanks for asking.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I didn't install the bolt (or have it installed). I bought the rifle as is, but it's probably not a bad idea to check. Thanks for asking.
I'm just trying to make sure people don't have issues.

I hope people don't think M14s are like AR-15s where a bolt can just drop in. I can easily see someone thinking that with disastrous results.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts