M14 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got stationed at DLI, wife is AF I am a Former Marine. Wanted to stop in and say hello and ask a question. Now that we live out here and I had to leave all the evil black things in the safe back at my parents I am itching to fire a rifle. I am considering either purchasing a Loaded SA SS, or getting a LBR reciever and having it built from the ground up. This brings me to my question, is the LBR thing even a possiblity out here? I would be sending it to Smith Enterprises for the build and would want to do the short bush NM barrel job but I am completly confused about the whole muzzle break device. Are either of their breaks Kali approved? I emailed Smith a few days ago but have yet to recieve a reply and I hope its cuz they dont think this is a lost cause. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks guys!
Semper Fi

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Welcome Aboard the Firing Line - Pesty0311 =D>

Glad you decided to join the family. There are lots of California shooters here and a whole pot-full of "shorty" lovers - good folks. I'm sure you can get all the advice you need in making your decision.

Whether you get an SA or do the build is entirely a personal preference and how much you want to spend. I've got a loaded SS and love it - never had a problem with the rifle but others have had different experiences so you may want to check around the forums to get a feel for what others have to say.

Can't help much with the muzzle brake issue but there's plenty of "cussin' and discussin'" about them in the Firing Line forum.

I'll copy your post into the Firing Line Forum so that more folks will see it - I'm sure you'll get some good advice from the folks there.

Jump right in and enjoy the forums - you're among friends here.

Pull up a chair and we'll set a place at the table for ya. \:D/

db

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yes, you can bring in a stripped receiver (I live in Cal too).

Finding an FFL is as easy as going to Gunbroker.com and doing a search.

I found one who will do the transfer for $25 plus DROS, rifle, receiver etc.

Our club buyer(s) have gotten a bit expensive these last few years!

Talked to both LRB and FA, they both will ship/sell receivers to California.

Ref. the muzzle device, I've have only used the SA Inc, unit, it's the best known to the powers to be here.

hth

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. I am certainly registered as a Republican to vote here In Cali now. Before I moved here I lived in Maryland, so it was like jumping from the frying pan into the fire so to say when it comes to firearms. At this point I think I may just go with the SA Loaded SS rifle and have it cut down to Bush length. It seems I live in an area that dosnt offer much I seriously have to take road trips to buy stuff and we do have one range close Luguna Seca I think, but it only goes out to 100yrds. Once again thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Pesty0311 said:
I would be sending it to Smith Enterprises for the build and would want to do the short bush NM barrel job but I am completly confused about the whole muzzle break device. Are either of their breaks Kali approved?
Monterey California. What a rough assignment ;-).

Yes the Smith brake is approved by the BATFE as a brake. The M14 design locks the device in place with a set screw so the bureaucrats in Sacramento don't get their panties in a twist about the threaded barrel. I have one on one of my M1A's and it works well.

The Smith Vortex is a flash suppression device and as such is not legal in California.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Just to let you know, a threaded barrel is not a assault weapon feature for rifles by california law. Thats only on pistols.

Welcome to Cali, where we have lots of um.... nice weather?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Weather here in Monterey sucks! Cannot wait to get to the next duty station in GA. Wife approved the purchase, so it looks like next month I will get an SA Loaded SS w/ black stock. Cannot wait! Sending it out to Smith as soon as I get it for the cut down. And I want to get a stock from Law. I allready know that I will have to have a second, and I think I will build it from reciever up. Wish I was back home with all my other toys, all I have out here is a few pistols and my M590A1 which is fun to shoot but....I miss my rifles.

Semper Fi

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.