M14 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been putting in a new furnace, . . . got the filter frame put in today (had to make it first, . . . ).

Decided to go bust a few caps, . . . my M1A is off to the repair shop, . . . thought I'd just better check the zero on the AR, . . . JIC, y'know.

I bought a 6 inch steel plate a couple years ago, . . . never hung it up, . . . today I got it out.

Hung it on ropes at 100 yards, . . . got in "position" and threw 5 rounds down range, . . . nothing.

Boogied down and checked my cardboard I put behind it, . . . shooting a foot high, . . . straight over it, . . . 12 inches up.

Came back, . . . dropped the sights down, . . . first round made him go ding, . . . then the second, the third, fourth, and fifth.

The third shot took out the left side rope, . . . 5th took out the right side rope.

Ah well, . . . live and learn.

And, . . . I felt pretty good for myself, . . . open RVN type sights, . . . small port, . . . 100 yds, . . . 5 dings on the metal bell.

That's also with 72 year old eyes and no glasses.

May God bless,
Dwight

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Nice!
I would rather hit a steel plate than shoot paper any day!
I have to drive over an hour to do it so I have just been saving gas and doing Paper.
ARs are funny! On at 50 makes you high at 100.On at 100 makes you about 2.5 low at 200. The newbies sight in at 25 yds and than the fun begins. The Rpund is still on the way up but who cares!
Hits at 100 with the "rare" These days irons are on the money!

I am glad you had a fun day!

Reactions: dwight55

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually I think it was the flying steel and lead when that little 3500 fps 5.56 round slammed into that steel, . . . it shattered in all directions, . . . and some of it cut the rope.

I started to chain it, . . . but didn't have enough chain, . . . thought I'd try the rope, . . . that will be the last time.......

But it WAS fun, . . .

May God bless,
Dwight

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
It's 30 +/- here today-too cold for these old bones to shoot. Been thinking about getting an old ice fishing shack(on wheels), moving it out to range, cutting shooting hole in side, putting heater in and popping a few but haven't found one cheap enough,yet. Glad to see someone could get out to shoot some. Way to go, Dwight.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's 30 +/- here today-too cold for these old bones to shoot. Been thinking about getting an old ice fishing shack(on wheels), moving it out to range, cutting shooting hole in side, putting heater in and popping a few but haven't found one cheap enough,yet. Glad to see someone could get out to shoot some. Way to go, Dwight.
That was another reason I got out today, . . . tomorrow is supposed to be 40 maybe, . . . today hit a tad over 60, . . . my hoodie was a bit much on the range, . . . but I left it on anyway.

I also could not recollect where I had left the sights when we were shooting last, . . . decided to make sure, . . . glad I did.

Have you thought about a single axle pull behind camper??? Drive along the edges of suburbia, . . . sometimes they can be had for a song, . . . you could go camping in it or shoot out of it, . . . just get some heavy duty ear protection.

May God bless,
Dwight

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
Been putting in a new furnace, . . . got the filter frame put in today (had to make it first, . . . ).

Decided to go bust a few caps, . . . my M1A is off to the repair shop, . . . thought I'd just better check the zero on the AR, . . . JIC, y'know.

I bought a 6 inch steel plate a couple years ago, . . . never hung it up, . . . today I got it out.

Hung it on ropes at 100 yards, . . . got in "position" and threw 5 rounds down range, . . . nothing.

Boogied down and checked my cardboard I put behind it, . . . shooting a foot high, . . . straight over it, . . . 12 inches up.

Came back, . . . dropped the sights down, . . . first round made him go ding, . . . then the second, the third, fourth, and fifth.

The third shot took out the left side rope, . . . 5th took out the right side rope.

Ah well, . . . live and learn.

And, . . . I felt pretty good for myself, . . . open RVN type sights, . . . small port, . . . 100 yds, . . . 5 dings on the metal bell.

That's also with 72 year old eyes and no glasses.

May God bless,
Dwight
I would count that as a good day Dwight!

Reactions: dwight55
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.