M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This one was not as difficult as some of my "birch" projects. This started out as a HRA Service Grade Special Garand in walnut (and finished that way too, I guess). In this project I only focused on finishing the stock, which was a brand-new walnut CMP as made by Boyds. Came a bit dry and on the light side, so I thought I'd spruce it up a bit.

Stripped it. Did some light sanding. Stained and finished it off in pure tung oil. Color came out rather good, which was quite surprising as before I hit it with the PTO, the wood was actually a very light tan. The PTO really brought out the red/darks, as well as the grain.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Duce you did it yet again!

Hopefully this is similar to how my CMP Walnut will turn out, that color is amazing.

Do you have any pictures from when you just had the stain and not the PTO on it?

Reactions: Duce

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I mentioned this on another board where I have this posted. Not sure if I've seen much mention of this before, but in this recent project I've tried to recreate a USGI look, that being a 60+ year-old arsenal finish. I've never seen color pictures of what these rifle looked like leaving the armory after having been freshly made. I doubt if they looked like what they do now, nor how I've got mine stained here. My guess is that during production, the wooden stocks and handguards were simply just dipped into a vat of PTO or Raw Linseed Oil (RLO) for a period of time, after which they were removed and allowed to naturally dry. I highly doubt if they were stained, but I guess they could've been, or at least coloring agent may have been added to the PTO or RLO. In any event, I have a feeling that over time, the stock I have pictured here, while looking somewhat "correct" now, will take on a much darker hue because of the PTO. Of course, only time will tell.

I have one more walnut Garand stock I'm working on right now. I'm going to try and stain it in the same fashion, but instead of using PTO, I'm going to use Boiled Linseed Oil (BLO) as the finishing agent. BLO has some hardeners in it which act as sort of a varnish, and I am interested in how these two stock sets will change color, if at all, over time.

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Looks fantastic. What brand of PTO did you use? I've never tried that stuff before and don't know what's good and what isn't.
On this project I used PTO from Rockler. In the past, I've also used PTO made my WoodRiver and available through Woodcraft. I can't detect a difference between the two.

There are others out there, but these were available in my local area.

·
Registered
336 Posts
On this project I used PTO from Rockler. In the past, I've also used PTO made my WoodRiver and available through Woodcraft. I can't detect a difference between the two.

There are others out there, but these were available in my local area.
Thank you much! I recently ordered some Transtint from Rockler to color my Mosin stock. It's almost the same color as your stock. I've used many different finishes before, but surprisingly, never PTO. I wasn't sure if I wanted to go shellac, BLO or another oil-type finish like I'm used to. I'll order some up and give it a shot.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have Garand envy! The one rifle I have yet to acquire. All the local Garands that come up for sale are beaters and they want $1k or more. I seriously need to get a CMP rifle before what little is left is gone forever. Thanks for sharing.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.