M14 Forum banner

101 - 112 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
I never received a reply as to whether SAI actually replaced this rifle. They were not really responsible for the mishap.
The cause of the failure turned out to be the use of the wrong powder in reloading. The owners wife had emptied the powder measure prior to a change of powder to reload .308. She failed and he failed to check the powder measure to insure all traces of the previous pistol powder were completely emptied. Looks like 40 or so grains of 2400 was a little more than the M1A could handle. My best advise is to double check everything when reloading ammo.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Thanks Ted.
The majority of mishaps, like the one in this thread, have been caused by ammo irregularities. Pistol powder has been the culprit on many occasions.
Reloading is an important part of the hobby and can be very safe if the proper precautions are taken.

·
Registered
7,007 Posts
I would guess that since SAI expressly forbids the use of reloads in their rifles if one expects a warranty;, that they probably didnt feel obligated to replace anything. Not to say they might not do so in the interest of PR though. If you even mention reloads on the phone with them, they about have apoplexy!

·
Registered
101 Posts
I see a lot of comments on reloading - but there is a lot of quality control checks that realistically need to be done when reloading. Some are covered here, but this is why it is important to double check and gauge, and measure. Emptying a powder measure is fundamental. So is final inspection ( for high or missing primers) and gauging finished ammo. A case that will not pass a case gauge can stop before it is seated and head spaced, and if ( as in ARs, M14s and others) inertia can cause the firing pin to move forward, and OOB event can easily occur.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I'm going to go ahead and raise my flag of learning here. This is very instructive.

Reactions: nf1e

·
Registered
125 Posts
Many years ago in CA we were shooting a match in northern CA. We were starting the 300 rapid fire stage, heard something that sounded like a separate explosion go off then pa shouting cease fire, a M1 Garand had literally exploded into several pieces. Couple of weeks later we learned the older gentleman admitted to using the wrong powder. He loaded up with some WW231 in a 30 06. Wasn't pretty, he had a few stitches.

·
Registered
768 Posts
When using my powder measure (RCBS Charge Master) , I treat it like making moonshine. Even if I know for sure that the last powder ran thru the system was the same and I clean it out thoroughly after every use, I always throw away the first charge.

·
Registered
7,007 Posts
No, its a waste of good powder. If its clean its clean. I pan load on my scale and rarely use powders that meter well. Reminds me of how my dad used to always throw away the first pancake off the cast iron skillet!! I dont do that either.

101 - 112 of 112 Posts