6,986 Posts
i don't think super glue will help this one

major depends moment

sling swivels are ok

·
Registered
7,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was not a slam fire... And yes, I have an interesting binder with several catastrophic failures documented. I've witnessed a couple and several have been shown on the net. I'd note that most are caused by hand loads with high primers and some from defective parts, but this is not any of those. Catastrophic failures are an interesting subject. I just can't comment on this one until we see how it irons out.

·
Premium Member
15,448 Posts
Waiting for your report Ted.
Thanks for the thread.

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
Hello,
Yes, OUCH for sure..and throw in a big WOW to boot...
OOB for sure. Stuck firing pin??? How's the hooks on the hammer and sear? they look intact.
Someone has some explaining to do...

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
A friend's Galil .223 did that right after I handed it back to him.

Not quite as ugly as this, but if he'd been holding the mag when it blew open it would have broken his hand in many places, or worse. It wouldn't be fun to take that straight through the palm.

His had cracked/lifted receiver rails, grenade mag, ripped dustcover.
Totaled the rifle.

This one looks way worse.

·
Registered
7,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When the extractor was damaged the shaft fell out and released the firing pin. The firing pin did not appear to be damaged... There is a lot of guess work going on here. I think everyone will be surprised by what actually happened. It isn't something all that uncommon and it could happen to any firearm. We have to wait and see if SA honors it's lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Wow, scary and wierd. How is the firing pin out? It seems the only thing that got ruined was the stock and magazine? Almost as if the round flew through the magazine into the stock, but no hole in the magazine.

I'm interested to see how this happened as well.

How often does something like this happen? And why to you guys say never hold by the magazine? I would think that if your hand was on the stock, youd still be screwed. Is it because in something like this the front of the magazine slides down or something, just cant picture this not messing you up, no matter how you hold it, I must be missing something in my mind.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts