M14 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, another one of these and I'm sorry. I simply cannot find my problem anywhere on here.
So here's my problem. I've got a socom 16 with an ARMS 18 mount. I have a trijicon ACOG TA11E on top of that. Set up the mount precisely to the directions (at least I think so) took to the range and shoot a good six inches high with the scope adjusted for point of impact all the way low. Yes I'm sure I didn't adjust the scope wrong. I figured the mount wasn't level with the barrel so I remounted the mount several times with the same result. I've read number pus problems about this mount however it seams to fit on there just fine with no forcing. I'm not sure if the problems people have with this scope mount not fitting spring fields leads to this problem or if the mount simply won't fit the reciever. Anyone with any amount of help would be awesome because I'm about ready to shoot the mount and get a new one.
Thanks in advance
-joe

Premium Member
Some Springfields dont like the ARMS18. Try putting another half turn down on the front screw to raise the mount up a hair in the front. It dont take much to see an improvement. If it does then loctite it. If that does not bring your group down into your scopes range, you may have shave a bit off the rear dovetail. Hope that helps.

Registered
I am wrong sorry need to think before type

Registered
I really like how low the ARMS 18 mounts but I too had the same problem but just took the mount off and left it that way. I guess any advice given on this thread can help me too.

Registered
Mine was hitting the stripper clip guide causing it to cant forward. I took a little off the back with a grinding wheel and it ended up working out fine.
Some springfield rx have a little different spec then usgi receivers, which is evident if you go to the sadlak industries web sight and look up they're mounts and the way they help get it fitted to different RX's, maybe a call to a.r.m.s. would help, see what they say or find a competent smith and have him fit it to your RX.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mine was hitting the stripper clip guide causing it to cant forward. I took a little off the back with a grinding wheel and it ended up working out fine.

Did you try shooting it before you realized the problem? I aint the smartest dude but i assume if it was canted forward then i'd be shooting low instead of high. Am i correct in this thinking?
Anyway the mount sits centered along the length of the reciever.
Anyone know of a good reliable way to determine whether the mount is level with the bore of the rifle? That would help out but i can't seem to find a way other than holding two T-sqaurse on the mount and one against the end of the barrel and seeing if they match up level.
Thanks for the help guys.

Registered
36CFjoe;1153063 Anyone know of a good reliable way to determine whether the mount is level with the bore of the rifle? QUOTE said:
36CFjoe,

Run a piece of heavy thread through the rear peep and stretch it forward over the front sight post. Hold it in place with a piece of masking tape on the stock comb and flash hider. (No optic/rings in place, of course.) That should give you a good reference for the Mark 1 eyeball to access the alignment of the ARMS 18 on your rifle. HTH

Reactions: los

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
36CFjoe,

Run a piece of heavy thread through the rear peep and stretch it forward over the front sight post. Hold it in place with a piece of masking tape on the stock comb and flash hider. (No optic/rings in place, of course.) That should give you a good reference for the Mark 1 eyeball to access the alignment of the ARMS 18 on your rifle. HTH

That's a good idea. Thanks man I appreciate it.

Registered
36CFjoe,

This is the method I used to align my Arms #18. It works very well.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all te input guys. Used the string trick to check level and ended up taking some metal off the piece that attaches to where the stripper clip guide was. Looks nice and level now. Ill take it to the range in the next couple days and see if I'm all good with this mount/acog.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.