M14 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was curious if that when creating a NM M14,or Nam era M21 if you will,one of the things done IIRC (according to old NM instructions) was to lift the HG off the barrel using rubber (???) spacers similiar to "stick on weather stripping" for windows,that maybe the milled clip would hold tighter tension. I know about pushing the HG as far forward as possible and staking the clip slots on the barrel,,just kinda wondered is the extra tension from the milled clip helped at all.
Thanks Gus.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
On that I can't tell any difference. A blob of Auto-Zone silicone between the handguard and the barrel and a dab between the clip and the handguard keeps things in place. All silicone I see any more is rated "hi-temp," 600 degrees F more or less. Use it up front, too, where the handguard slips into the band. If there's an advantage over gluing in with epoxy it's being able to disassemble easier if you have to.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Has anyone found any advantage to using the old WW2 "milled" handguard retainer clip as opposed to the standard late flat clips????
When I do a Garand, I do prefer to keep it as close to "Classic" as humanly possible, even when I tune them for NM accuracy. Having milled parts of the rifle is as classic as the design. It's like using a vented M14 handguard vs the solid one. I LIKE the vented handguards. I just make them thicker and stronger. I am talking with Mike Sadlak when I get a couple finished. If he wants to put them in production, fine by me. It's one of the ways I cheat the USMTU guidelines for accurizing an M1A. It allows the barrel to free float and it works better then the USMTU style of attaching the front band to the gas cylinder. As soon as I find out ways to post more stuff, I'll pull sections of my "project" and let you all get some "peeks".

·
MGySgt USMC (ret)
7,066 Posts
I was curious if that when creating a NM M14,or Nam era M21 if you will,one of the things done IIRC (according to old NM instructions) was to lift the HG off the barrel using rubber (???) spacers similiar to "stick on weather stripping" for windows,that maybe the milled clip would hold tighter tension. I know about pushing the HG as far forward as possible and staking the clip slots on the barrel,,just kinda wondered is the extra tension from the milled clip helped at all.
Thanks Gus.
The Marine Corps RTE Armorers solved the problem of handguard movement by usng Hysol Epoxy Patch Kit glue to glue on our handguards to the handgaurd clip and front band. Actually, they had used the same stuff to glue on M1 Handguards when they found it sometme in the mid to late 60's.

In the early 70's, we were still staking just ahead and just behind each side of the handguard band on the clip slots, but eventually dropped it as there was no reason to do it using Hysol glue. It's funny that I have still not found anything better than Hysol to glue handguards and still use it today though I use the Black color 11C more than the White Color 1C we used on Active duty and only because the black color seems to blend in better esthetically speaking.

I have never used the silicone to keep handguards off the barrel very much at all, except for a couple of rifles the owners requested it on standard G.I. type rifles. I'm thinking of using it on my Walter Mitty rifle the next time I take it apart that far, though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.