·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reactions: racer

·
Registered
876 Posts
And then when they get "caught" they LIE...and if they don't get caught the people (vets) they are supposed to take care of are and continue to be the "joke". Most of these people don't respect any vet and what that vet and their families have given them. I'm not sure our present commander-in-chief repects any vets or just pays verbal homage to them to acquire votes.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I will be banned from here in .0000001 seconds on how this makes me feel.

So instead I will keep it cleanish. Very disturbing that the men and women who are willing to put their lives on the line to protect this great country are treated with so little respect when they ask for a little care and help. If you, senators and reps are not willing to take care of our vets when they return then don't send them in harms way.

·
Registered
131 Posts
How to make the VA stats look better

My father is a WWII Navy Vet and will be 89 within a month.
He lives in PA and I am in CA.

He has been a VA patient for 8 years. Last month the VA tells him he needs his DD-214 to continue getting treatment!

Lets see he got out in 46 several years before the DD was invented, hard to get the form that did not exist when he was discharged.

He can not find his WWII era discharge paper. He asks me if I have it!

So I start the process of finding out how to get the papers he needs. Looks complicated and worse, Long! How much time do I have to get it at 89?

I contact his congressman, an Air Force Vet, to ask them to track the process with me. They assure me it will be much faster if they do the whole thing and that makes sense.

Well it has been a few weeks now, my father has been in the hospital for a intestinal blockage they were going to do emergency surgery on and still nothing.

The hold up? HIs records are in the national Archives and has become a Public record. Anyone can get them for any reason. Great, let me have them.

Sorry, you have to pay 70 dollars to purchase a photocopy.
OK, can I pay over the phone. Only by mail.
Freedom of information rules for billing that would be just a few bucks do not count by the way.
Joe

So we are still waiting for the old fashioned letter to get to them after it was emailed to me by the congressman.
I will be banned from here in .0000001 seconds on how this makes me feel.

So instead I will keep it cleanish. Very disturbing that the men and women who are willing to put their lives on the line to protect this great country are treated with so little respect when they ask for a little care and help. If you, senators and reps are not willing to take care of our vets when they return then don't send them in harms way.

·
Registered
81 Posts
They don't wonder,they know. They have some very good people. Unfortunately, the majority are not. The bad ones (in my opinion) took the job for the hours,the benefits,the ability to cover their incompetence in a government bureaucracy.
In their defense, I used them for years when I didn't have health insurance. I do appreciate them for that. Then I got a job with excellent insurance and stayed with them out of misguided loyalty. Oops!
I started having trouble swallowing, was biting my tongue,throat hurt,ears hurt,etc. Got blown off a bit (gargle with salt water) "Doc,my tongue is pulling to the left." "Why yes it is,now,about those headaches..." They'd send me for a test that would be inconclusive and I'd feel like a hypochondriac. I'd finally go again,different test a little later down the road. Did this for about a year and a half.
Finally pulled my head out of my ass and went to a real ear,nose and throat doc. (Civilian)She ordered re tests,then a biopsy; advanced stage 4 head and neck cancer. Already spread out pretty good. Lymph nodes,etc. I'm dead,I just haven't fallen over yet.
If obamacare turns into the equivalent of the va(and it will) I feel very sorry for what the general public is going to end up with.

·
Read Only
3,779 Posts
I think the VA should be in the business of injuries resulting from engagement with the enemy. All the geriatrics and family care should be moved under Medicaid. Then those could select their own healthcare provider.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
I think the VA should be in the business of injuries resulting from engagement with the enemy. All the geriatrics and family care should be moved under Medicaid. Then those could select their own healthcare provider.
Hmmm ...., engagement with the enemy? That's an interesting idea. But what about those servicemen who were forced to take an experimental medication to protect them against this or that and it turns out the medication causes very significant medical problems. Would they be entitled to care? Or those who were involuntarily exposed to carcinogens, would you treat them? Or those involuntarily exposed to high levels of radiation? Would you treat them? Are you a veteran? Would you feel you were entitled to care if you were in one of these groups of veterans? There are a heck of a lot of veterans living diminished lives solely because of what the military did to them, and they are entitled to care. You can take your "engagement with the enemy" idea and stuff it.

BTW, the VA does not treat veterans simply because they are a geriatric, nor does the VA provide "family care."

·
Registered
656 Posts
I had a patient a couple of weeks ago who had been turned down for surgery by the VA hospital he went to. They did an MRI, and told him there wasn't anything they could do for him. He was at the point of not being able to walk and was having frequent muscle spasms from pressure on nerve roots. They gave him a wheelchair and sent him home.

He came to see one of the neurosurgeons I work with, and we operated on his neck, relieving the pressure and fusing two vertebrae. A week later, he's up and about, pain free.

What was it we did in our little community hospital that the great, big VA system was unable to accomplish? We looked at the patient as a person in need, and not a faceless number.

·
Registered
185 Posts
The Va treated me the same way. I had an xray then about 3 months later an MRI. A month later I was told by the doc at the va I have bulging disc. I was told they are not going to do anything with it. I mean what gives, am I spose to just live with the pain.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Carp,sorry to hear that. They offer me pain meds. Trouble is,the ones they offer may well relieve the pain but will probably make my symptoms worse. Swollen tongue and throat (I don't have much room left to swell). Nausea (I puke I'll choke to death or at the very least aspirate the stuff). Possible bowel impaction to the point of requiring manual clearing (I'm good). I asked about medicinal marijuana and was told the va has decided not to prescribe that.
I've been eating ibuprofen gel caps all day for about the past two years now. 400 mg every three and a half hours keeps the pain manageable for the most part. I do that 5 times a day and Tylenol once to stay under the fry my kidneys limit.
They did offer to give me a feeding tube and a breathing tube right after I was diagnosed. And they offered to pay for treatment from other docs. I researched the hell out of this because neither the va nor the two civilian oncologists I went to would actually give me any honest info. It didn't take long to realize I was the only one with my best interests at heart. I've stayed alive this long by avoiding them.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I've been eating ibuprofen gel caps all day for about the past two years now. 400 mg every three and a half hours keeps the pain manageable for the most part. I do that 5 times a day and Tylenol once to stay under the fry my kidneys limit.
Not just your kidneys; the liver is what breaks the drug down, so it can be damaged from chronic high-dose use, your risk of a heart attack goes way up, you run a much higher risk of ulcers and gastric bleeding, in addition to an increased risk of renal carcinoma. Try to limit your daily intake of ibuprofen to 1600 mg/day. Easier said than done, I know. There are times when I eat the stuff like M&M's.

Reactions: oldandtired

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
So any damage from radiation exposure running a reactor on a Navy nuke vessel would not be covered (except for Viet Nam vets Staioned off The Nam during "hostilities") because they were not engaging an enemy?

My understanding is ALL submariners are considered combat vets by the VA, though I have not verified that.

Told the wife long ago I get so bad I'm drooling or shaking or can't get around then take me to the VA: they will kill me in 3 months, 12 at the tops and she gets everything free and clear because she didn't kill me!

Reactions: bigblock

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I really hate the way the VA wants you to mail it in and wait. Why can't you go to the VA and settle claims? I am waiting on my medical records from the Archives to get my claim approved. How long will that take? I guess the VA don't want a long line so the media can film.

·
Registered
9,992 Posts
There are entirely too many clueless people in this world and that includes anybody that agrees with this idiocy.

My wife never served in combat but due to the negligence of military medical personnel she ended up with cancer. It was no fault of hers and it could have been prevented with simple antibiotics but they didn't bother...so the federal government shouldn't be held accountable?

How many of us are injured while training? Spinal and leg injuries are almost guaranteed if you ever trained for ground combat and expected if you were jump qualified. Aircraft maintenance personnel usually always incur severe tinnitus and hearing loss. Those are all chronic injuries that will always worsen with age but you don't think that they should have medical care for their injuries?

Luckily, better informed people understood these issues and made veteran's medical care available to any service member whose injury was caused by or exacerbated by their service.

Even then it's difficult for a lot of deserving service members to get the help that they deserve. The number of service members applying for care is only part of the problem, the biggest problem is that clueless people keep trying to limit the care based on their ignorant view of the problem. They invoke rules and procedures on us that make it almost impossible to qualify for care. It took me 8 years to get coverage for my chronic conditions even though I was diagnosed while on active duty and treated by the military for my issues the last year or so before I retired. My wife worked for the VA as a Veteran's Service Representative for many years and it was difficult for her to get her disability. She has had many arguments over the years with other VA personnel that felt that they had a personal right to decide which veteran should get compensation, most of whom had never served and had no clue about the veteran's circumstances. The problems come from petty little tyrants that think making rules makes them look like they are important; them and those who have never served and don't have an ability to relate to the life that we lived. And let's not forget our dumbed down society that can't function any more; it's hard to find people that are good at processing these veteran's claims if your hiring criteria are based on skin color and gender rather than skills.

Yes, fraudulent claims exist but those should be dealt with individually rather than making sweeping rules that interfere with the deserving veteran's ability to get help.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thanks cockedandlocked. I simply chose the lesser of the available evils,I guess. Using their pain meds will likely put me in their care. If I end up relying on them for anything I'm pretty sure things will go down hill pretty quick. Can't lay on my back cause my saliva goes straight into my lungs. Can't sleep much cause of pain in ears,jaws. No ibuprofen, no function. It's a balancing act to live as long as I can.
If I end up hospitalized, it wont be long before someone leaves me drugged up and on my back either through ignorance,incompetence,whatever. Then it's choke out or pneumonia. Back when I was first diagnosed I went to a hot CENSOREDGI surgeon at Sitemans Cancer Center. This arrogant ass got mad at me because I couldn't swallow my saliva to make his job easier. He got mad when I pulled away when he crammed a scope up my nose. Rough as a cob. The only info he gave me was "operating is your only option". Information is not to be shared with us lowly mortals,I guess.
I'm not very bright,I have to run on instinct. My instincts said stay as far away from that arrogant mercenary prick as possible. Pretty sure I got more fairly quality time this way.

·
Read Only
3,779 Posts
45% of vets leaving the military today are on some sort of disability. This is clogging the system and driving up costs. What I was suggesting was a different approach to the problem which would allow direct payment in the civilian healthcare system and allow the VA to focus on what it should do well, rehab, PTSD, corrective surgeries etc.

·
Registered
9,992 Posts
As long as we are provided with the cost free health care we were promised, I don't care how it's managed, VA, private doctor through medicare, it doesn't matter. What does matter is I'm tired of being lied to. When we joined we were all promised health care for free and for life, then we found out that that was for retirees or combat injured, then congress tried to say that it was never promised to anybody. Then when we do get these services we find out that they are substandard and poorly managed.

The system already has a way to improve the time it takes to get help but most VA medical centers wont use it; they are allowed to send veterans out to local doctors with the VA picking up the cost, they wont use it though because they don't like the cost of the care and the fact that most private doctors will do far more testing and evaluation..and all that costs time and money.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.