M14 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, Ive been debating for a while now whether I should start a build or not. And after finding a good deal on a H&R trigger group I decided that was enough reason to start. The next step is to find a USGI bolt and op rod at a decent price. I'll be browsing gunbroker and the PX alot in the next few weeks GI1

Im going to try and build this with all USGI parts, except for the receiver and barrel. Ill most likely go with the LRB M25 receiver so I dont have to worry about a scope mount, but I can still switch to irons if I want to later on. Once I have the receiver and everything done then I'm going to find a nice piece of walnut to put on there.

Any advice for a first time M1A build? Also I know 7.62mm Firearms has a great reputation but how are their bolts and op rods compared to USGI parts?

I will try and keep this thread updated as I get parts and eventually have pics of the build. Thanks to everyone here, this site has a wealth of knowledge that has helped me get to this point and decide what I want from this build.

·
Premium Member
21,964 Posts
Congratulations. You will enjoy building you own. LRB M25 is an excellent decision. I have a couple of them. One built by LRB with heavy Kreiger barrel and USGI parts. The other I nailed together myself with all USGI parts. The M25 is a beautiful peice of machinery. If you are confident in putting it together yourself , great. If not the fellows at LRB are more than willing to put it together for you and supply any parts that you might need. Looks like the trigger group was just enough to start the addiction. Next time it might only take a front sight or a sling. Gotta have it. Need it. My precious. Every time I finish a rifle I tell myself its the last. Since I first told myself that I have purchased 3 new safes. Whata way to go.

Semper Fi
USMC 66-72 RVN 67-68

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I think I will order the receiver with the barrel installed and headspaced with the bolt. Everything else Im confident I can assemble myself. Im just in the middle of planning before I start spending too much. I found the spreadsheet in the reference section and its been a huge help in organizing this whole thing

Does anyone know if SEI's gas cylinder comes complete with the spindle valve? Just curious because Ive seen some being sold with and without the valve.

·
Premium Member
21,964 Posts
Sounds great. Don't know much about SEI. Just that their reputation on a few boards is in the mud. You could always call and ask about spindle valve. They may just sell it either way. I have gotten many of my parts from Claude at RA Parts,he is a sponsor of this forum. Nice fellow and he is alway glad to answer technical question. LRB is also fast on sending out any parts you might order. I usually get a couple of orders from them a month.

Semper Fi

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Sounds great. Don't know much about SEI. Just that their reputation on a few boards is in the mud. You could always call and ask about spindle valve. They may just sell it either way. I have gotten many of my parts from Claude at RA Parts,he is a sponsor of this forum. Nice fellow and he is alway glad to answer technical question. LRB is also fast on sending out any parts you might order. I usually get a couple of orders from them a month.

Semper Fi
Don't know about their reputation being in the mud, but their parts are beyond reproach. Their web site does not show the spindle valve, but pretty sure that you can order as a complete assembly.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok thats all I was curious about with SEI. Im sure its nothing a quick phone call can't solve. As for their reputation Ive never heard that many complaints on them other than the fact that they have government contracts so Im sure that can affect their civilian sales.

I just found RA parts today so thats good to know. I may be getting the GC and flash suppressor set from them. Just planning and trying to find good deals right now, and buying any good ones I find

·
"Death From Above"
12,410 Posts
Look up a dude cepilot MIke Harlow for SEI parts. Email him at [email protected] if that does not work try yahoo.com. He can and will hook you up. He typically has complete SEI gas cylinders already unitized on hand. He does an outstanding job on welding them up. Good luck with your build.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
82nd, Thanks for the reference. I received a PM from another member about him. I have heard him mentioned a few times. Not to say I doubted the guy in his PM but its good to see a reference. Ill get in touch with him very soon.

Thank yall for the help so far

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.