M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Sorry, if I offend anyone.
But You Suck...
YOU GUYS, even "censor" private messages between members?. I thought, they "were" PMs= PRIVATE.
I'm not sure, too be more pissed off at you guys(new and improved - M14 FORUM) or Frick'en Pay-Pal(I'll get too that).
So, PMs; As we used too know them, are now even censored before sent for profanity? I hit preview...
And, I can't say too another member in an "private message" that, pay pal is full of "FECAL MATTER", now. For asking for "copies" of my SSN and Birth Certificate. And, that they PP, could go "FUK" themselves. If, I wanted too accept his payment/funds?. Heck, What the hell is going on here?.
NOW, We can't even converse in a normal adult "American" conversation too express ourselves with a fellow forum member?. In an private message?.Those are common words in the American language... FOLKS.
Just, as I was getting used to the "new format". I find something else, that confirms this new system SUCK.....

So, that's my feedback on the new M14 fourm site. Again, sorry if I hurt any feeling, NOT.
This is only "my personal opinion" excuse my rough side... But, two invasions on my privacy within an hour, kinda has my tiddy whities in a bundle.....
Smile face too you guys. But, you suck, IMHO.

Self edit:
Wow, I,see on the preview . I can at least say Whities, Hum, bias? ya think. I don't tempt to write the other word.... Starts with a "D".
Hell, let's try it. Naw, just joking. I'm not the racist.
And, again. These are only my observations...Progressive Pansies, or just the system used?....not.
Yes, I'm testing the 1st, here....the "freedom of speech" part...
Remember: my tiddy whities would be in such a bundle, if your nose wasn't in my stool. ie; friendly PMs between friends.

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
Don't take it personally. It all sounds like software, the details of which probably sounded great when run around a table of people who don't use it (and probably don't use colorful language either.)

Don't worry, my feelings aren't hurt.

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
16,080 Posts
Yes boltaction,
It makes me wonder if there is much of a freedom of speech anymore, anywhere. Here is just the latest casualty. Can't say what you want at work, on Facebook, on websites, everyone is going to sue like a bunch of wusses. They can't handle "American" :sneaky:
m14brian

·
Registered
531 Posts
I have to say I've had it up to here with all the politically correct BS going on everywhere.

We are trying to sanitize society to the point where there's nothing left of America. Locally the university is being pressured to remove a statue of Abraham Lincoln that has stood for 100 years. Something about racist comments made at some point. Really?

When they are done, there will be nothing left of America, just a few pages in old history books (that will probably be outlawed at some point). New history books will only cover New America.

One more thing, concerning the forum -

I started a thread in The Geedunk a while ago about continuing protests in my area, and it was moved to a sub forum covering politics. I didn't think it was political.

Comments I made in a thread previously had also been moved to the same sub forum, where you need to request permission to join. I requested permission - and was denied.

Why? About a year ago I quoted a post where the person used the abbreviation of "what the ...?." and I was reprimanded for using the "f" word. I knew I hadn't used it, so I found the thread, sent a link, and told the Administrator that I'd just quoted the abbreviation. My contribution to the forum was also questioned. No response. Didn't matter. So when I went to join the sub forum I was rejected. I can try again in April of 2021.

I cannot even post or reply to a thread I started.

This was before all the changes, but really felt like heavy-handed moderating with no interest in resolving an issue that wasn't as it seemed.

I'm not a huge contributor here, mostly just learning, but like many others I'm questioning continuing to be a member.

·
Premium Member
3,698 Posts
When are we gonna get some answers or fixes for so many of the things that are not working or were eliminated on this forum
Mainly the option to edit posts.The abity to see our old feedback and ratings as well as all of our awards etc
What the %$#@ i guess all the older forum members who have contributed for years and gave tons of info are no longer recognized any more than a new member.
OH WAIT!!!!!! I guess everyone gets a participation award now.Geez what was I thinking 🤔 😅 😳

·
Super Moderator
3,365 Posts
I understand some of the frustration; however, I come here to share M14 information, techniques I have learned, research great information for my builds, make informative posts for members [or I try to make informative posts], buy, sell and trade parts in the PX and interact with friends which I have many here. As far as the censoring it's not really an issue for me as I generally do not use offensive language [although sometimes I would like to use it!]. I realize my position on censoring is not addressing the bigger issue of saying what you want in private conversations, but I guess for me this is not a show stopper.

As far as the changes / bug fixes etc. - well I know everyone would like to see it addressed quickly, but many here many not have been through significant software/system changes. Many times you work on several of the issues before you release the new environment so patience is essential with a system conversion. Don't get me wrong, I would like to see all of the key functionality in the new format just like everyone else here, but we are essentially at the mercy of the programming folks.

One thing that would be nice is if the technical Admin would post a listing of the key items that are being worked on so we can see it in one place along with a status for each item. Once corrected it could be taken off the list [it would be a summary listing that would change as new items come on and old requests are resolved]. I will suggest this as this would at least show what is coming in the next releases of the software even if it is going to take a while.

Meanwhile - I continue to post, read posts/participate, search topics, peruse the PX, BX, have conversations with members and make the best of it. I guess that is just the way I was taught to deal with change I can't control. I have tried to make many contributions to the forum over my time and the awards etc. don't mean that much to me [I was an offensive Lineman in High School and College an essential non-glory position] so recognition was not so much from the press it was from my teammates for getting it done! I think all the folks here that make excellent contributions are appreciated regardless of what your signature may or may not include. Again - I want the old functionality that has been described in this thread [as bad as everyone else] and I am hopeful that over time it will be in the code base.

I am not lecturing here, just providing my .02 which I am sure many will remind me is only worth .02.

M1Army

·
Registered
7,072 Posts
I don't think the censorship has anything to do with the new format.
This has been a very overly censored forum for a long time, all under the banner of being family friendly.
One reason I don't post a lot anymore, can't use a expletive or other word that might be interpreted as one by a moderator and god forbid you express a non
mainstream idea or have a non PC discussion.

·
Super Moderator
3,365 Posts
PM's are now called conversations -> click on your icon in the upper right of your screen just left of the three vertical dots. Once you click on your icon click on conversations and all of your old PM's will be there.

You might want to review the thread below as well as other information regarding how to do certain things can be found [there is a lot of discussion, but it is worth looking at the information].

M1Army

·
Forum Jester
6,919 Posts
Hello, Sorry, if I offend anyone.
But You Suck...
YOU GUYS, even "censor" private messages between members?. I thought, they "were" PMs= PRIVATE.
I'm not sure, too be more pissed off at you guys(new and improved - M14 FORUM) or Frick'en Pay-Pal(I'll get too that).
So, PMs; As we used too know them, are now even censored before sent for profanity? I hit preview...
And, I can't say too another member in an "private message" that, pay pal is full of "FECAL MATTER", now. For asking for "copies" of my SSN and Birth Certificate. And, that they PP, could go "FUK" themselves. If, I wanted too accept his payment/funds?. Heck, What the hell is going on here?.
NOW, We can't even converse in a normal adult "American" conversation too express ourselves with a fellow forum member?. In an private message?.Those are common words in the American language... FOLKS.
Just, as I was getting used to the "new format". I find something else, that confirms this new system SUCK.....

So, that's my feedback on the new M14 fourm site. Again, sorry if I hurt any feeling, NOT.
This is only "my personal opinion" excuse my rough side... But, two invasions on my privacy within an hour, kinda has my tiddy whities in a bundle.....
Smile face too you guys. But, you suck, IMHO.

Self edit:
Wow, I,see on the preview . I can at least say Whities, Hum, bias? ya think. I don't tempt to write the other word.... Starts with a "D".
Hell, let's try it. Naw, just joking. I'm not the racist.
And, again. These are only my observations...Progressive Pansies, or just the system used?....not.
Yes, I'm testing the 1st, here....the "freedom of speech" part...
Remember: my tiddy whities would be in such a bundle, if your nose wasn't in my stool. ie; friendly PMs between friends.
and your point is?

Reactions: XXIV Corps

·
Registered
211 Posts
Do what I did and go to the other forum. Even though I'm not a big contributor (heck, barely a small one) I used to visit at least a half dozen times a day if not more. Now, I'm checking once or twice a day on average.

·
Forum Jester
6,919 Posts
Do what I did and go to the other forum. Even though I'm not a big contributor (heck, barely a small one) I used to visit at least a half dozen times a day if not more. Now, I'm checking once or twice a day on average.
we are all slowing down,comes with old age

·
Premium Member
Token Libtard
228 Posts
Can always use characters from other languages to circumvent profanity filters. Replace 'c' with 'ç,' and I'm pretty sure there's not a filter that would catch it.

Example: çock the hammer of your old SAA

It's obviously still readable, so use at your own risk, or the mods will get ya.

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
I think the forum has some clumsy rules, but please don't confuse the job the moderators are tasked with doing as a reflection on the moderators that do it.

I once got a warning for the use of the letter that goes between 'E' and 'G' in the alphabet. Apparently, you cannot use that letter by itself to stand for anything, even if it doesn't rhyme with word used to describe one of the sounds of a chicken. You can use the abbreviation, 'SHTF', but you cannot break out that last letter by itself to reference the particular blowing device in short hand. I think it is, in fact, ridiculous, but it is (or was) the rule, to the letter, and it was being enforced, to the letter. It is a bit silly, and I think the rule is clumsy, but it is what it is, and so long as it is not used selectively to unfairly target anyone, including me, I have no gripes with the moderators for doing their jobs, for free, to keep this a useful place.

In fact, on the whole, I'm pretty grateful for them for doing the job that they do, as it allows, even if imperfectly, a better framework for discussion.

Censoring private messages, IMO, is kind of over the top, but that may also be simply a feature of a lazy software spec that does not differentiate between types of content, as opposed to any intended persecution.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I think the forum has some clumsy rules, but please don't confuse the job the moderators are tasked with doing as a reflection on the moderators that do it.

I once got a warning for the use of the letter that goes between 'E' and 'G' in the alphabet. Apparently, you cannot use that letter by itself to stand for anything, even if it doesn't rhyme with word used to describe one of the sounds of a chicken. You can use the abbreviation, 'SHTF', but you cannot break out that last letter by itself to reference the particular blowing device in short hand. I think it is, in fact, ridiculous, but it is (or was) the rule, to the letter, and it was being enforced, to the letter. It is a bit silly, and I think the rule is clumsy, but it is what it is, and so long as it is not used selectively to unfairly target anyone, including me, I have no gripes with the moderators for doing their jobs, for free, to keep this a useful place.

In fact, on the whole, I'm pretty grateful for them for doing the job that they do, as it allows, even if imperfectly, a better framework for discussion.

Censoring private messages, IMO, is kind of over the top, but that may also be simply a feature of a lazy software spec that does not differentiate between types of content, as opposed to any intended persecution.
And apparently you cannot quote someone that used it either without getting a warning. Why was the post with the offending abbreviations even still in the thread?

No big deal - didn't think of it at the time, but in my case it meant I was unable to join a sub forum for a year after getting the warning (my first and only one).

A bit over-the-top I think.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts