M14 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK, I was researching the PPS-43 "handgun" and went to AR-15.com to check out a problem someone had with one of them.

This is NOT so much about the gun but about the site. I could not believe the language those "gentlemen" were using in their posts.

While doing other research I heard most on here have no use for that site, but had no idea it was this bad.

Sure... we get smacked occasionally for an oversight, but that is the difference. HERE it is an oversight, there it seems to be rule of thumb.

One member said it is mostly composed of boys that outgrew their Xboxes and bought rifles. After this I can believe it. Especially posts 6, 8 and the last one number 13.

Take a gander and appreciate the maturity of (most) of the M14 Forum members.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1448591_.html

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
OK, I was researching the PPS-43 "handgun" and went to AR-15.com to check out a problem someone had with one of them.

This is NOT about the gun but about the site. I could not believe the language those "gentlemen" were using in their posts.

While doing other reserarch I heard most on here have no use for that site, but had no idea it was this bad.

Sure... we get smacked occasionally for an oversight, but that is the difference. HERE it is an oversight, there it seems to be rule of thumb.

One member said it is mostly composed of boys that outgrew their Xboxes and bought rifles. After this I can believe it. Especially posts 6, 8 and the last one number 13.

Take a gander and appreciate the maturity of the M14 Forum members.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1448591_.html
I counted 3 swear words and one offensive sentence. I guess you're not a big George Carlin fan?

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
RnS,
When I first got online and looked for forums covering my favorite rifles, one of the first I found was AR15.com. After reading a few threads and saw how people asking serious questions were being treated I deleted the site's bookmark. If anyone moderates that site, they ain't doing their job!

I've repaired, built, modified ARs from bone stock to highly customized for over 30 years and have never seen more BS, incorrect, illegal and downright dangerous information being spewed from that site. And lord help you if you run afoul of one of their self-proclaimed "experts"...the idea of having a civilized discussion is totally foreign to that site. Total waste of time and webspace.

·
Banned
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I counted 3 swear words and one offensive sentence. I guess you're not a big George Carlin fan?
actually, I love George Carlin, also Chris Rock and several other examples of "blue" comedy.

I just do not think it reflects well on their website or on them that they use that kind of language in public and committed to all eternity on the internet.

·
Banned
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RnS,
When I first got online and looked for forums covering my favorite rifles, one of the first I found was AR15.com. After reading a few threads and saw how people asking serious questions were being treated I deleted the site's bookmark. If anyone moderates that site, they ain't doing their job!

I've repaired, built, modified ARs from bone stock to highly customized for over 30 years and have never seen more BS, incorrect, illegal and downright dangerous information being spewed from that site. And lord help you if you run afoul of one of their self-proclaimed "experts"...the idea of having a civilized discussion is totally foreign to that site. Total waste of time and webspace.
That is what I was alluding to, Albud3. The language used DOES reflect on ones inner self.

We all can "loose it" in intense anger, but in a normal conversation?

Ikeman...I was a squid for over 15 years, and a contractor for three. I also spent one season on an oil rig. I am not exactly a prude, but I DO have manners, and DO know anything and everything I type on any website can be kept and recorded FOREVER. Not everyone is going to love me, but I DO want casual observers to know I DO have some refinement and manners long after I am gone.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
We are much more refined here and most of the time actually give answers that mean something and are helpful to the OP.

I have one of the IO PPS 43C pistols. It is as well made as other Polish Warsaw Pact weapons, it works well and is a blast to shoot. It is a fun gun that represents a time in history.

·
Banned
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We are much more refined here and most of the time actually give answers that mean something and are helpful to the OP.

I have one of the IO PPS 43C pistols. It is as well made as other Polish Warsaw Pact weapons, it works well and is a blast to shoot. It is a fun gun that represents a time in history.
Leave it to a fellow Houstonian to have one of the toys I am lusting after.

I was REALLY looking for a PPsh-41 but they have become impossible to find.

My desire kinda got slackened a bit when I found out the folding stock is permanently folded.

oh, well....carned sarned it and fudgesickles (as proper to say)

I went ahead and bought over 2,000 rounds of 762x25 in anticipation...

now I just have a WHOLE BUNCH of ammo for my M57

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
They really are a fun gun to shoot, with the stock in it's folded position it looks like the SMG that it was. Can you SBR one where you are? The stock is not really welded, the push button is welded/deactivated so you can not unfold the stock. I bought a chopped kit to study, easy fix if you where into that sort of thing?

·
Inquisitor
11,356 Posts
The language used DOES reflect on ones inner self.
Is that like your comment about outward appearance reflecting the true self while some of the most vile people in the world are the best dressed? Well, I must be a terrible human being then. I often swear during the course of regular conversation. If this forum allowed swearing, I would do it. I don't have to do it, I like to do it. I have no compunction about it and I'm not trying to quit. I picked up the habit in the Army, and swearing is part of that subculture, which I still belong to. If that makes me a bad person, so be it. I'll take a foul mouth over smoking, infidelity, or alcohol abuse any day of the week.

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts
Is that like your comment about outward appearance reflecting the true self while some of the most vile people in the world are the best dressed? Well, I must be a terrible human being then. I often swear during the course of regular conversation. If this forum allowed swearing, I would do it. I don't have to do it, I like to do it. I have no compunction about it and I'm not trying to quit. I picked up the habit in the Army, and swearing is part of that subculture, which I still belong to. If that makes me a bad person, so be it. I'll take a foul mouth over smoking, infidelity, or alcohol abuse any day of the week.
Hit A @#$%^&*&%#[email protected]$% Nerve, Did He ???

GI5

I prefer 'creative cussing', rather than 'taking the Lord's Name in vain'...but there's also times and places where swear words are just Not Appropriate...
As with you, the Army 'refined' my skills' in employing curse words...but when I came home, My Dad made it clear that some things were better left 'on base'!

GI2

Seems like..

·
Inquisitor
11,356 Posts
Hit A @#$%^&*&%#[email protected]$% Nerve, Did He ???
Not at all. I'm just trying to provide some perspective. This thread is turning into a bunch of 'we are better than them' and patting ourselves on the back because we think we are so refined. The only difference between this forum and that forum is the rules and the moderators. Without those two things, this place would be just as bad as arfcom.

Reactions: CAVman

·
Banned
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Not at all. I'm just trying to provide some perspective. This thread is turning into a bunch of 'we are better than them' and patting ourselves on the back because we think we are so refined. The only difference between this forum and that forum is the rules and the moderators. Without those two things, this place would be just as bad as arfcom.
I have to disagree, I think WE ARE BETTER THAN THEM. The gentlemen and ladies on this forum ARE better mannered than what I have observed on those other sites. They also unselfishly and politely answer some really dumb noob questions with finesse and tact. Those questions would get someone else attacked mercilessly at those other sites from what I am told.

Another judge of character I use is how someone behaves in a world without rules. Emails and postings are a pretty good indicator of a world without rules. Hence the inner person coming out.

As far as a foul mouth is concerned. If they use that kind of language around someone's mother or young kids....well then if someone does not see anything wrong with that, then I just need to bring the word " REFINEMENT " and " MANNERS " back into play. That kind of behavior is nothing to be proud of or brag about.

I am NOT going to make this personal and can see that you are trying to do so. I am NOT biting the bait.

I am "better" than that.

·
Inquisitor
11,356 Posts
I have to disagree, I think WE ARE BETTER THAN THEM. The gentlemen and ladies on this forum ARE better mannered than what i have observed on this other sites.
I have seen some pretty bad stuff here. The difference is that it doesn't stay up long enough for most people to read it because our moderators delete it and ban people.

Reactions: CAVman

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Well, they certainly wouldn't offend any sailors USN2

But, maturity is earned and swearing doesn't pay any dividends as far as I've been able to tell...just ask my wife USNA

My son tells me that that's how it is in his age group (he's 27) and how it was going though school...I never condoned it at home and corrected him a few times when he lived there, but it didn't stop the "social" aspect of it.

I am thankful that he speaks his mind, but I've grown to a better vocabulary when discussing anything except a$$head drivers, fn snzobtchz but% weasels....USN2

Reactions: RetiredNSmilin308

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I joined the AR15.com forum around 2002 and seldom visited the site until about 18 months ago when I decided to trade off my SP1 and build a current model Stoner platform. I think the changes in the forum are a reflection of our society. If you read the archives from 12 years ago, the members did show respect, just as they do here on the M14 Forum today.

I was surprised by the way one of the AR15.com moderators addressed me because one of my Equipment Exchange ads was listed. Fortunately, I had the email address for the owner of the board and exchanged some communication with him.

I view the M14 Forum as "Graduate School" while viewing the AR15.com board as "Kindergarten". Take notice of the new members here who came up from the AR world.

I frequent the AR15.com site and review the Build it Yourself and Troubleshooting forums simply to learn by other's mistakes. There are a few knowledgeable guys who post some good information. There are many "moles" who attempt to steer the tacticools towards the online stores selling the Chinese stuff. The rest is made up of the "want to be" owners / shooters.

The sponsors on that site know that at any one time there is several thousand people logged onto the site. They have no interest in the conduct of the board, who is giving bad advice or anything else. They are there to sell a product. Plain and simple.

When I visit AR15.com..... I keep things in perspective. I will say that every Equipment Exchange transaction (even during the frenzy) has been with good people. No complaints there.

I just take it for what it's worth.

Hobo

1 - 18 of 18 Posts