M14 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping Bill or someone else knowledgable will chime in.

I thought I read somewhere online that the "AN" marked M6's were NOT actually issued, but possibly made as a small number of prototypes.

I just scored a decent(for the $) Aerial M6 that cleaned up nicely, with a virgin blade bevel. Already have a MilParCol and Imperial. So should I now even be looking for the "AN" version, or would I be chasing a ghost?

BTW, the Imperial's with the late 68 contract dates are still readily available NIW, and they are a SWEET battle blade that takes a very keen edge. I even bought a second one to put away still NIW for our first grand kid due in Sept! It will eventually make a great 14th birthday gift, when the kid is 14 or so, the knife will be 50!

Paladin

the picture shows the Aerial M6 as part of my living room coffee table "display", the buttstock was left over from my recent M14 folder project, just a few trinkets I enjoy having around like the Paladin wallet card I owned in the 50's :D

·
Registered
846 Posts
like you i've read about the AN marked bayonets but have never seen one for sale. and have wondered the exact same thing. anymore i would be skeptical of someone importing a cheap bayo from china and stamping AN on it and charging $200 for it.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
There is speculation as follows:

• AN stands for Anniston - I have serious doubts about that

AN stands for Army/Navy - This abbreviation has been used in some designations of items simultaneously standardized by the Army and Navy. It has something to do with funding, I am not sure.

AN stands for an unknown contractor.
No matter who made them, they are probably very early limited production and probably not prototypes. The prototypes were designated T12 and if the past holds true, would be marked as such.

Until I see documentation I haven't any idea who AN is.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.