M14 Forum banner

An AR for an M1--opinions please!

4197 Views 10 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  m14brian
Greetings All!

As many of you are aware, NYS has come down hard on those of us who own "assault weapons." By their definition I own three: an M-14, Ar-15 and my .40 s&w Beretta CX4 storm (yes, a pistol caliber carbine is now an assault weapon because it has a detachable mag AND a thumb-hole stock).

I do not want (for obvious reasons) to register these when the time comes. I can modify the M-14 with a "fake" barrel ornament instead of a flash suppressor to avoid it being classified as an assault weapon but my AR is basically screwed. Therefore, I am thinking of selling my AR (has to be someone out of state) and using the money to purchase a .308 M1 from CMP--as it is not classified as an assault weapon and is ammo friendly with the M-14. What are your thoughts?
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
5,756 Posts
Have you confirmed that with CMP? Last I looked, CMP was seeking legal opinion and advice from NY about where the Garand is going to fit with NY's new 7-round rule.

That said (it'll resolve itself to some outcome), as long as you can still get a Garand from CMP by all means do it, whichever model(s) you want.

If it were me I'd be keeping my AR for the time being as well. Nothing's set in concrete, not even ridiculous new antigun laws. Testimony before Congress right now sez the AR15 and its variants are the MOST POPULAR centerfire rifle in civilian America today! That's hardly weird or unusual or exceptional.

· Registered
1,224 Posts
I wouldn't throw in the towel just yet either.

· Registered
4,131 Posts
Think I saw somewhere that CMP wasn't shipping directly to people in NY now, and that it has to be shipped to, and picked up from, and FFL?

· Registered
2,993 Posts
Yeah CMP wants to ship to a FFL in NY, no biggie, plus The north store is not to far a drive. The 8 round issue is not a problem for the rifle. The ban is on mags over 7 rounds and rifles that are classified as Assault Weapons (The Garand is not because it does not have a detachable mag). You can load upto 10 in it at a range, so loading an 8 round enbloc clip at the range is fine.

It's the enbloc clips themselves that are in dispute. Are they considered a magazine, feed strip, ammunition feeding device, ect, as defined by NY law. If interpreted YES then after April you would no longer legally be able to get them as they are over the 7 round limit (yes you can buy 2 rounders, 5 rounders, or sleds), but any you already had prior to this date would be grandfathered in (CMP sells new ones in packs of 25), as long as you didn't have more than 7 rounds in them while not at a shooting range. (Makes perfect sense to me!). My personal opinion is they are NOT ammunition feeding devices, they are speed loaders. The ammunition feeding device is builtin to the rifle, and that eventually they will not be included in the 7 round limit.

In the end the ultimate goal is to nullify this whole damn thing. BUT I think every shooter in NY should try to wrap their head around it as much as possible though, or they can get nailed for something stupid and cause alot of grief for themselves. (I think that was the idea). The 7 round in 10 is just setting us up for legal problems. Are they going to search our house for enbloc clips loaded with over 7 rounds, doubtful, but if I get pulled over on the way to the range and have a couple loaded in my range bag (Yeah I know they'd have to find them in the car), that's technically a misdemeanor each if the LEO wants to make life hard for you, even if it's ruled they are not mags and 8 rounds in them is ok, do you expect every officer to know and understand that, or will it take thousands of dollars in legal fees before the charges are dropped? The whole damn thing sucks. You want to ban new mags over 10 that alone is infringement, but in that let us put the correct amount of rounds into the ones we have legally acquired before the ban!

Either way I'm stocking up on 10 round mags before April cuz nobody will prob ship them to NY after. I got 50 clips from the CMP too. :)

Justin

· Banned
4,810 Posts
Greetings All!

As many of you are aware, NYS has come down hard on those of us who own "assault weapons." By their definition I own three: an M-14, Ar-15 and my .40 s&w Beretta CX4 storm (yes, a pistol caliber carbine is now an assault weapon because it has a detachable mag AND a thumb-hole stock).

I do not want (for obvious reasons) to register these when the time comes. I can modify the M-14 with a "fake" barrel ornament instead of a flash suppressor to avoid it being classified as an assault weapon but my AR is basically screwed. Therefore, I am thinking of selling my AR (has to be someone out of state) and using the money to purchase a .308 M1 from CMP--as it is not classified as an assault weapon and is ammo friendly with the M-14. What are your thoughts?
-------------------
I like your scripture quote: "I am the way, the truth, and the life; no man comes to the Father but by me." -Jesus (John 14:6)

Put this with it and you will find your way in this situation:
Ephesians 6:12
For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.

Your being "bullied" by the Government ... the same way the Roman's bullied long ago.

· Retired
5,985 Posts
Greetings All!

To sell your rifle out of state,is about the same as having to bury it. I don't recall who actually said it, but I like to quote it... the statement is "When the time comes that we have to bury our guns, it is already too late". I would not comply with such an unconstitutional law, and you might very well need that AR-15 to prevent further government tyranny. Hang in there and fight for liberty and freedom.

Reactions: TheShooter

· Registered
1,388 Posts
I would take a Garand any day of the week if you feel you HAVE to make that decision.fit it with a Schuster adjustabale gas plug and you are good to go .A lot more stopping power with a Garand and it is a lot more socially acceptable : I know this goes against most folks idea of freedom but it is a reality in todays world.Its hard for the most hard corp anti gunner to look at a fellow in WW2 fatigues holding a M1 Garand and think of the word "terrorist"

· Registered
8,353 Posts
Greetings All!

With all do respect Sir, If you comply with these Tyrants your screwed no matter what. Because today they want your AR-15 because it is a "assault rifle" Tomorrow they will want your M1 Garand because it is a battle rifle then they will want your 5 shot bolt action rifle with a scope because it is a "Sniper Rifle" Then they will want your 22 LR pistol because it is a "Assassins weapon" I watched this video and it looks like a lot of people in NY Will not comply with the new laws. [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=BTdhVxva5KU[/ame]

Just my 2 cents.

· Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
18,393 Posts
+1, they will never be satisfied until there are no guns, even BB guns.
Supposedly, all the evil guns were banned in CA in 1989, then not so, there were more again federally in 1994, but wait, somehow in 2000 the rules changed again. So the rules will change again. I want to always ask them were they wrong then, or are they wrong now? It's just incremental encroachment. Just wait and see, then make a decision, or best yet move to a free state if possible. If a majority of us populated a handful of free states, this stuff would likely never happen there.
m14brian

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.