M14 Forum banner

AMU CMP Armalite SDM Rifle

7352 Views 20 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  Bamban
Here is one for those of you familiar with the M16 SDM rifle dreamed up at AMU, and with about 300 deployed with a particular unit. To support the training needs AMU, CMP, and Armalite teamed up to produce the training rifles.

Here is a message sent to all the CMP civilian instructors who helped AMU with the SDM training. I personally helped in 4 training sessions at Benning, with SDMs using these rifles through the course.

"Gentlemen,

CMP is offering for sale 12 of the CMP SDM AR-15 rifles exclusively to the Military Rifle Instructors. These are the rifles we used at Ft. Benning for the SDM classes the past six years. The rifles were originally built by Armalite and then later rebarreled by the AMU. They are unique because of the CMP and AMU logo on the lower receiver. Rifles come complete with the Trijicon ACOG scope. Price is $1200 plus shipping. The rifles have been inspected and are considered in good shape, with the normal wear and tear on the rifle and scope. Since the rifles have been used extensively since the last rebarreling, they should not be expected to be as accurate as new rifles.

I expect more responses than there are rifles. Therefore to make it fair to everyone, 12 names will be randomly drawn from all interested MRIs. If you would like to purchase a rifle, I need your response by midnight, 1 September, 2011. Your response is your commitment to buy if selected in the drawing.

Thanks again for all your assistance.

Steve
Marksmanship Coordinator
CMP"

Well, the drawing has finished, I am one of the lucky ones who got drawn. In a few weeks I should have the rifle in my hands. In the meantime here are a couple of pics on these rifles. These are zeroed with both the TA01 ACOG and the detachable handle.

5 shot group at 500 I shot with one of these rifles. I remember holding the vertical rerticle off the right shoulder, just ripped off 5 from the magasine at rapid fire cadence. My partner took the picture.

SDM in the 300 meter indoor range at Benning. It was raining and cold, AMU moved the session to the indoor range
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
5,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think a couple of years ago Tom Kirby had one of these guns at Rio (or it was built the same as an SDM - it looked the same).

I shot it at 200 - 10 shots rapid fire prone - It was impressive!
That was Kirby who took that picture of the group I shot at 500.

· Registered
5,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In the classes I helped in at Benning, on the average every SDM student fires about 2K in a week. As stated these have been re-barreled by AMU. I will pull the original barrel and stick one of my take off barrel. Intend to save the original barrel for historical accuracy. Or maybe I'll run into an AMU barrel someday, you'll never know.

· Registered
6 Posts
Gentlemen, forgive me bumping this up from the depths, but during my pre-purchase resale of one of these rifles, I found this thread, and figured you may appreciate the end result:

I had the opportunity to purchase this rifle in an estate sale and took it. I'm glad that I did.

I was only able to put 18 rounds of 67 (IIRC) of JSP through it at 100 yards today, but it picked off the rocks that I was aimin' at. As you can see, the rifle is well used, but appears to be in excellent mechanical condition. ACOG is clear and illuminates, and the trigger is smooth and light though I did forget to weigh it today. It's pretty well balanced for a 20" HBAR.

· Registered
5,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice grab.

Those TA01s are tough, almost GI proof. Of the Ks of rounds and many hundreds of students who used them in the SDM classes, I only saw one broke down on Easley Range. It did not hold paper at 600 yards.

Did you get the carry handle with it? The students were required to get zeroes for both the ACOG and irons.

· Registered
6 Posts
Ah, ok. I have one with a LaRue quick disconnect that I use at work, so I slapped it on the Armalite and it worked very well.

I have requested any information on the rifle from CMP and am crossing my fingers for some records maintenance.

· Registered
5,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good luck, those rifles were under AMU care, and stored in their arms room until the SDM program was shut down. Then rifles were transferred to CMP then. To my knowledge they were never used again in classes from that point on. I doubt if any maintenance was ever performed on them by CMP.

· Registered
6 Posts
Good luck, those rifles were under AMU care, and stored in their arms room until the SDM program was shut down. Then rifles were transferred to CMP then. To my knowledge they were never used again in classes from that point on. I doubt if any maintenance was ever performed on them by CMP.
Thank you for that, I didn't know that. This rifle was bone dry but clean, so it definitely hadn't been shot in a long while and whoever shot it last cleaned it, which is a good sight. Everything feels tight, as it should.

The things I would do to get my hands on one of those..
Heh, I didn't even know they existed just a few months ago, and I had to sell something to come up with the money for it. I'd love to know where all of the others are.

· Registered
2,782 Posts
Number 34

So, here is a picture of a group fired prone slow-fire with a sling at 200 yards on the reduced 300 rapid-fire target. X ring 1.9 inches. I sighted in with ball ammo on a target to the right. Then I used 69 grain handloads on this target. First shot was on the 10 line at three. I adjusted the ACOG left, then shot ten more, calling one high and one low (they went a bit left as well).

SDM CMP rifle NO. 34

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.