M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings!

I just ordered my CMP Special Garand, and I'm extremely eager to own my piece of American history!

I did have a question about ammo.

After looking at the previous threads regarding blanks damaging the garand, I was wondering if there is any live ammo that I should look out for?

I intend to use the rifle, but am concerned that some of the newer powder formulas may burn too hot, or have too much pressure for the weapon.

Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply!

Ordering ammo might be okay, but being able to buy locally is better.

Basically Im wanting to know if I can go into any wal mart and buy 30-06 ammo and not have to worry about damaging the rifle.

·
Registered
49 Posts

Basically Im wanting to know if I can go into any wal mart and buy 30-06 ammo and not have to worry about damaging the rifle.
No,

You need to make sure it is listed safe for the Garand. Federal and Hornady make M1 safe ammo. Boxes are well marked.

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
PMC makes M2 ball-compatible ammo also.

If you choose to reload you can make your own ammo that is as good as or better than commercial. And you can play with bullet weights also, and use any type, such as soft points, ballistic tip, etc.

As I'm sure you've discovered by using the "search" dunction, the issue is the type of powder used, not the bullet weight. M72 match ammo uses 172 graiin bullets, and you can easily go to 180 grain, but your powder choice is critical.

Commercial hunting ammo is probably not acceptable for the Garand.

JWB

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I didnt order ammo with the rifle for 2 reasons.

1 - I just about tapped my funds acquiring the rifle.

2 - I never really considered any restrictions on ammo until I read the thread about blanks damaging the rifle (another post). That got me thinking that there have been a lot of changes in powder technology since the Garand was introduced.

·
Registered
7,375 Posts
Thank you very much for the link. I have fired Seller & Bellot 150 grain ammo in my Garand with no problems and the information on this site confirms it does not produce excessive pressure.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts

Local ammo = CMP ammo marked up an additional 50%.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Any commercial or Milsurp in the 150GR. range will be fine, but stay away from the hopped up premium stuff like what Hornady calls "Light Magnum".

Also, stay with medium burn propellants and don't use heavy bullets, say above 168gr.

The damage you describe is warping the operating rod, this is very bad!!

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Yes it is corrosive. After firing you need to do a complete tear down and clean, barrel, bolt face, remove gas cylinder clean under it, end of Op Rod, etc, etc. Then relube with grease
Its not worth it, save corrosive ammo for a bolt rifle

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.