M14 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is the best section for this, but maybe. When I was in the Coast Guard, we had an ammo storage box, which was basically just a big metal box, with a secure lid on it. Depending on price, I may not need something quite as substantial, but I'm wanting to find some type of container to store and secure my ammo. I was thinking about getting a cheaper safe, but I'm trying to see what's out there, and what other's have found they like, and why. If anyone could give me some recommendations, I would appreciate it. I'm thinking that it might be nice to have a few units, which are each a little smaller, rather than one large one, but I'm open to suggestions. Thanks in advance for any input.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I use Ammo cans, but you can find the big Military type metal chests etc for around $130or so through Cheaper than Dirt, Sportsmansguide or Major Surplus, shippings gonna hurt though

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Storing ammo in the gun safe may not be a good idea. I was recently told that in a fire, if the ammo gets hot enough it can cook off, releasing very hot propellant gases and the resulting fire inside the safe will destroy everything. I am moving my ammo to a separate, cheaper safe, and reducing the papers I keep in there as well. CC

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Col. Colt - That's more along the lines of what I was thinking. A safe for my guns and other valuables, and a separate safe for the ammo. I have ammo cans and all that, but I'm thinking of a large, lockable container, for all of those to go in. Maybe they have an explosion proof container of something, and I can store primers, powder, and the rest of the ammo in it. That is the kind of thing I had in mind, but a safe seems like a waste. I would think there is some type of heavy duty, plain, metal container suited for this, with a means to lock it.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Col. Colt - That's more along the lines of what I was thinking. A safe for my guns and other valuables, and a separate safe for the ammo. I have ammo cans and all that, but I'm thinking of a large, lockable container, for all of those to go in. Maybe they have an explosion proof container of something, and I can store primers, powder, and the rest of the ammo in it. That is the kind of thing I had in mind, but a safe seems like a waste. I would think there is some type of heavy duty, plain, metal container suited for this, with a means to lock it.
Not a good idea to store powder and primers in the same place. For secure storage without fire protection a good quality job site type tool box is a good choice. I like the features of the Knaack boxes they are tough and also low profile.

http://www.knaack.com/index.php#

·
Rest in Peace
2,058 Posts
'Explosion proof' containers usually means that the container has large vent holes in it or has weak areas designed to break away easily. Modern powders won't explode unless they are stored inside a container that allows pressures to build up rapidly - like a safe. In a proper container, you may get a hell of a fire but no explosion. I've seen some commercial cabinets for powder storage that look more like cages than containers. If you were looking for security and explosion protection, a wire cage might be the easiest way to go.

My powder is in an old metal filing cabinet with the drawer latches filed off. For my ammo storage, I use metal ammo cans. Some are spread around in closets and some are locked inside one of those $100 metal 'gun cabinets' they sell at WallyWorld. I'd like to see somebody carry that thing off, even if it wasn't bolted to the wall. I keep my primers the same way. I guess technically the gun cabinet full of ammo could explode if it was consumed in a fire, but if things got that bad then I'm looking at a total loss anyway. Plus it's hard to imagine all the ammo in all the various ammo cans going off simultaneously.

·
Registered
8,680 Posts
30cal, 50cal, and SAW ammo cans. Few dessicant packs in each as well. I do not store ammo in a safe, but rather my wine cellar. Put it to good use. About 50k rounds in it.

Reactions: stevegun 1

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Ok I ave ammo and Ammo
I will always Keep a small reserve in my Fire Rated Safes. Which I Think is More than Adequate from fire and Explosion
However the Majority of my Ammo is in a Box Like this
http://www.labsafety.com/greenlee-2...870/?CID=9PP001&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=104870
To Help fire proof it . I lined it with 2 layers of 5/8" drywall and used a foam caulking spray.
Now it is Full I have No more Room . But What I do Have is Secure
I got it from Craigslist cheap

Reactions: stevegun 1

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Not sure if this is the best section for this, but maybe. When I was in the Coast Guard, we had an ammo storage box, which was basically just a big metal box, with a secure lid on it. Depending on price, I may not need something quite as substantial, but I'm wanting to find some type of container to store and secure my ammo. I was thinking about getting a cheaper safe, but I'm trying to see what's out there, and what other's have found they like, and why. If anyone could give me some recommendations, I would appreciate it. I'm thinking that it might be nice to have a few units, which are each a little smaller, rather than one large one, but I'm open to suggestions. Thanks in advance for any input.
Coffindancer, your question needs to be a little more refined as to your concerns for securing the ammo. Are your concerns small children having access, thieves, or fire concerns. All will have different levels of security. dozier

·
Registered
1 Posts
Left over boxes

Being a firefighter for over 46 years, I have found Refrigerators do not burn or at least the contains do not burn in a normal fire. I store my ammo in old refrigerators with a pad lock on them and also store ammo in stack it safes. Place Cordless Dehumidifiers in them and check them regularly.

·
Registered
290 Posts
....ammo cans dude, BulkAmmo had a pretty good deal not long ago. Cans were marked Blackhawk!....don't forget the desiccant...

·
Registered
145 Posts
Would suggest using a couple of job-site storage units. The large ones are 24 X 24 X 48, and the smaller ones are about 15 X 15 X 36. I know they are available at home depot and the larger ones are usually around 250.00. I know you can stack a bunch of 50cal cans in one.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Being a firefighter for over 46 years, I have found Refrigerators do not burn or at least the contains do not burn in a normal fire. I store my ammo in old refrigerators with a pad lock on them and also store ammo in stack it safes. Place Cordless Dehumidifiers in them and check them regularly.
That's what I have always heard.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.