M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys so ive dropped a few deer with my M1A using Remington core lokt PSP 180grain. I was curious if Lake City 7.62 nato 149 grain FMJ would drop a deer as well with no issues?

also, let me know what ammo your using for game. whether its deer, bear, coyotes, whatever it is. just say what game animal and what ammo you use. thanks guys

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
I don't know where you will be hunting but I'd go with the heaviest and best terminal performance you can get.

The core lokt 180 may be a bit hard on your rifle.

I like the 168gr amax. You can get that in the Hornady zombie .308 ammo

·
Registered
469 Posts
I've killed plenty of Whitetails with 150 grain soft points, plain old Federal classic's in fact. Usually only takes one round in the right spot.

FMJ dose not tend to expand and might not kill as fast or as clean. You can't use it for hunting in Wisconsin. I don't know about the other states.

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
FMJ is not legal for hunting in most states.

I used reloads in my M1A. Either 150 grain Sierra BTSP or 165 grain BTSP bullets.

One shot stops/drops. Bullets in the right place (neck/spine/heart/lungs).

How big are the deer where you hunt? Mine went from 185 to over 200 lbs. field dressed, not sure what they weighed with the guts in them. Except for one, the bullets went all the way through.

Reactions: SGT John SWF

·
Registered
656 Posts
in your opinion, why would FMJ be your last choice for deer hunting?
Check your state's hunting laws; some states prohibit FMJ ammo for hunting. They don't expand, so they are less likely to make a clean kill unless you hit the animal perfectly.

Reactions: SGT John SWF

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
A FMJ sucks for Big Game Hunting! A 150 grain plain old .308 SP Hunting Bullet will bring home the Venison .
You are not shooting Brown bears! Even a 180 Grain is over kill for a Whitetail.
The Little old 30-30 Winchester has taken more Deer than any other round.
Enjoy the tender loins!

·
Registered
871 Posts
If you shoot an animal the size of a deer with a FMJ it will run off and unless you are a very good tracker you won't find it. Saw it done with a .303 Brit and what should have been a perfect side through the ribs shot. It ruined the day and we never did find it, it was raining. You need an expanding bullet that upsets with enough energy to cause massive damage to the organs and nerves, with a FMJ it zips right through. After shooting deer for the last 30 plus years with shotguns, rifles,pistols,muzzle loaders and arrows and seeing many more, I can say sometimes you won't believe the punishment it will take before going down. I don't hunt with my M1A because we can't but I do use the .308 and have gravitated to a load with a 150 grain Nosler Partition for all my big game. It works from 20 feet to + . Oh...the same can be said for varmint loads, saw a guy shoot a deer at about 250 yards with a 7mm ultra mag and V maxes and all he did was blow shallow holes in it and we had to kill it after about 6 shots. Leave the varmint loads to small cridders. Most hunting ammunition has posted on the box what it is designed for. If a guy was so hard pressed that he couldn't get a box of 150 grain soft points from Walmart I would shoot for the shoulders and back. After you start in on one don't stop untill it's down.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok guys I appreciate it. I think I will stop using the 180 and start using 160ish or so. I'll save the FMJ for plinking.

Also are you guys scarred of having a slam fire? Every time I release the bolt with the remington core lokt I'm always nervous about a slam fire. You guys feel the same way??

·
Registered
151 Posts
With M1 Garands and M1A I like to Mexican Match my ball ammo and replace the FMJ with a 150gr Nosler BT. Very effective for deer and hogs. Use a 150 gr Partition if you want more penetration.

Here is a deer killed with the M1A and a Mexican Matched load

M1 Garand with Mexican Matched HXP got this one

·
Registered
255 Posts
In 2004 my hunting buddy brought his boss hunting with us in the Hill Country of Central Texas and the first night the boss shot a buck in the middle of a wheat field in the neck and knocked it down. Probably about a 175 yd shot and walked out to it without his rifle. About 20 yards from getting to the deer, it lifted its head and jumped up and ran off, jumping the nearest property fence.
Later that night we got permission to look for the buck but never saw any blood. Around the fire that night the guy mentioned he was using some full metal jacket. Hmmm.
The next morning it was my turn to have breakfast ready after the morning hunt but first I walked down to the creek to retrieve a stool I had been sitting on the night before. There were two bucks feeding in an opening, one having a red spot on either side of its neck. The bullet never hit anything vital and didn't expand.
Another guy in Alabama at a camp I frequented was using FMJ in anticipation of an African safari he was going on. Over two days time he shot at 4 deer but they all ran off. The second night the owner asked him what ammo he was using and he said he was just practicing on the local deer to see if the ammo would work. He was asked to leave that next morning and we ended up finding 3 of his deer later by following the circle of buzzards.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
For .308 a 150gr. Hornady Interlock is a good bullet for whitetail deer. Even better is the 150gr. Sierra Game King - makes a hole you can throw a cat through! I use the 165gr. SGK in my 7mm Rem mag also, instant death on whitetail deer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I can positively say I will not be using FMJ for hunting.

Are you guys scarred of having a slam fire because your using commercial grade ammo? I am deffinetly always nervous when I send the bolt forward with commercial ammo.

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
The reciever bridge prevents slam fire by slowing the pin down.

If it went hunting now I'd use 200 gr nosler partition in .30 or .323

So I wouldn't use my m1a. I'd use the r700 or mauser.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.