M14 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm going to place a large (for me) order of ammo for my M1a. I was hoping to get some input on what to buy.

Most will be for target, some will be for pig hunting and I want some for when the zombies come over the hill a several hundred yards away.

If you have the time and want to give some advice... I'm also going to buy a heavier load for my Remy 700 sniper set up and I am open to any advice here as well. These will be used as above but instead of just pigs let's just say really Big Pigs!

Thanks!

·
Registered
249 Posts
For target plinking and thug, most surplus NATO ammo will do. Check the stickies up above the ammo thread for current best prices and places to buy. You can probably expect 2-5" groups at 100 yards with mil-surp stuff.

For hunting, I'm guessing you'll want some type of expanding bullet. I've shot 150gr soft points at around $14/box from local shops without issue, though the powder charge that the factory uses may not be optimal for the M1A. I would guess that SMKs are probably ok for pigs, but I hear mixed things; some people hunt with them, most don't.

For accurate plinking or maybe pig/thug hunting, Federal Gold Metal Match (FGGM), which uses a 168 grain Sierra Match King, is usually considered the standard of accuracy for the 308 for about up to 600 yards. For longer range, loads that use the 175 grain 308 SMK are better (such as the GM308M2 or surplus M118LR ammunition).

Jon Wolf has a decent deal on FGMM going on here (about $20 a box or $1 each): http://www.shop.m-14parts.com/Federal-Gold-Medal-Match-308-Win-168-gr-Sierra-MatchKing-GM308M.htm

He also has bulk German DAG ammo, which is milsurp NATO spec that I first mentioned.

A lot of saving can be had in the long run on match ammo if you load your own and shoot a fair amount. Plus, you have the option of designing a load around your rifle, getting the best accuracy possible.

hope this helps

·
Registered
226 Posts
I just bought 1000 rounds of German DAG 7.62x51 in battle packs of 200 for $400.00 plus S&H.

That's the best price I have found anywhere. I purchased the ammo from Widener's.

Check them out, I think you'd like this ammo.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks big help I'll check both places. I never check the stickies for some reason... Thanks again for info!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts