M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a series 80 Colt Commander. So far I have only fired ball ammo. I am looking for a good hollow point load that will reliably cycle in this pistol. I don't really want to buy a bunch different ammo to try. Anybody have any suggestions on ammo that cycles reliably in a 1911?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I'd say Hornady Critical Duty or Defence will certainly work if it shoots ball without a hiccup.

I like Golden Sabers myself. My Commander doesn't seem to mind anything it gets feed. I'd hope yours would be just as agreeable.

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
I second the Rem Golden Sabre 230 Gr. It feeds like ball and is a Good SD Round.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Never really had much luck with anything other than ball or good ole lead RN in any 1911.

I know there are others out there that have had good luck with HP stuff. I have shot a house payment of HP through my 1911s and never have got it to function like ball or RN stuff.

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
Never really had much luck with anything other than ball or good ole lead RN in any 1911.

I know there are others out there that have had good luck with HP stuff. I have shot a house payment of HP through my 1911s and never have got it to function like ball or RN stuff.
What kind of 1911 do you have?
I remember Springfield's in the lat 80s that needed Ball to cycle.
My Colt always fed anything from 155 SWCL through 240 and 260 Gr SHPs.

The Rem GS has a profile more or less like ball but is a true HP.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
What kind of 1911 do you have?
I remember Springfield's in the lat 80s that needed Ball to cycle.
My Colt always fed anything from 155 SWCL through 240 and 260 Gr SHPs.

The Rem GS has a profile more or less like ball but is a true HP.
A few…various ages. Only commander type is a Baer. And it has it's own issues by design-so lets not go there, but shoots fine with RN stuff (never had a misfeed), and iffy with Rem GS or Gold dots.

I have mostly tried GS or Gold Dots…they shoot well, but don't feed 100% like what I want…so I just have stuck with cast and a generous helping of bullseye or 231.

Others-S70, NM, Nightforce, and a series 80 gold cup.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I have a series 70. It eats anything. I have black talons for a carry and defense load. Critical defense not duty by Hornady should be fine. any name brand 230gr JHP should work. These Colts are not as fussy as the new breed. Run a box of your choice through to be sure is a good practice session.
If there is any problem have it throated and polished and you can shoot anything.
I reload Hornady 230 gr XTP, but I don't know if you can get that in a cartridge or not.
Don't know your proficiency. Carrying in condition 1 is not for everybody.

·
Registered
7,072 Posts
Another one for Remington Golden Sabers, the olgive of the bullet is very much like ball and they feed reliablely in all my 1911's.
May not be the most modern of the defensive rounds but it will work.

Also Wally World sells a box of 100 Remington 230GRN JHP.
(They are not GS, they area a conventional copper jacketed bullet.) However the bullet Olgive is identical and they are good for practice and testing and in a pinch carry if need be. I've also never had a feeding issue with these either in my 1911's.

·
Registered
6,577 Posts
Golden sabers run in mine.

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
I'm patial to Fiocchi 235gr. ball in my 1911's

Shoots clean and plenty of oomph!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the info. My Kimber shoots the 185 gr XTP the best, but the commander looks like the ramp on the barrel is much smaller. The kimber also seems to feed anything. I will go out and buy a box of 230 gold dot to try. I also have part of a box of the federal guard dog in 165 gr. Thanks again for the input.

·
Registered
871 Posts
My Series 80 officers eats 200 gn. Gold Dots like M&M's . It's my primary carry, I also load 230 gn. XTP's and don't have any problems from my other Colt 1911's.

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts
I have a series 70. It eats anything. I have black talons for a carry and defense load. Critical defense not duty by Hornady should be fine. any name brand 230gr JHP should work. These Colts are not as fussy as the new breed. Run a box of your choice through to be sure is a good practice session.

If there is any problem have it throated and polished and you can shoot anything.

I reload Hornady 230 gr XTP, but I don't know if you can get that in a cartridge or not.
Don't know your proficiency. Carrying in condition 1 is not for everybody.
This. Likely as not to be The Problem!

A guy can go through a lot of boxes of various expensive ammo and still have 'doubt's...

CAVman in WYoming

Reactions: Seventh Fleet

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Back when I was a night shift cop working the streets I carried Remington +P 185 grain JHPs because they had a muzzle velocity of around 1100 fps and they fed reliabily in my Series 70 Government Model. Years later I changed over to Federal 230 grain Hydra Shocks and that's what I still carry in my Glock 30 but be advised they aren't cheap.

7th

1 - 20 of 21 Posts