M14 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just watched American guns on Discovery channel and the owner bought a Bar brought back from Korea for 10k plus 10oz of silver. That seems like a good price, I've only seen them around 20k, which was the org. asking price and the guy got him down to 10k?! That's a deal for that rifle right? Wish I had that deal

·
Registered
231 Posts
So...does the military still own it ?
While the story may sound a little fishy (korean war bring back BAR) there is a scenario or two where this could be true.

Upon return to the States, the weapon my have been deemed damaged beyond repair, made a DEWAT per the reg's, given to the present owner, registered as a DEWAT (Deactivated War Trophy) during the 1968 amnesty period and made a REWAT (Re Activated War Trophy) at a later date.

Or, the weapon could have been made a DEWAT upon return to the U.S. unlawfully made a REWAT and registered as a lawfully owned Machine Gun during the Amnesty period of 1968, no questions asked (except for those on the registry paperwork).

There are many U.S. Military Machineguns in the registry who's history followed this path (DEWAT to REWAT).

The price he got for it falls in line with what a REWAT would sell for and it's certainly plausible that it's history rings true with what the owner says.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.