M14 Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Your thoughts are appreciated.

My point was only that he needed to find some source of clips, ammo alone for the M1 is an incomplete answer :).

And certainly clipped HXP works as clipped HXP even thought the clips may not be usable in other settings as you are so right to remind us.

All the best.
Yep, I agree. Garands without enbloc clips are single shot rifles. Rather than collect HXP enblocs, I would suggest buying directly from the CMP.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Interesting article on the Garand and Garand ammo in the newest GCA magazine.
Some of it goes against what has commonly been accepted.
I take great exception to that article. The writers suggest that there is no significant difference between the various types of ammo even though the spread in bolt velocity is 26%. That is huge! Stay tuned for the next edition of the Journal.
I found it interesting that 10 USGI loads exceeded 2800 fps, and 2 USGI loads exceeded 2900 fps.
Even had two AP loads that exceeded 2800 fps.

·
Registered
7,693 Posts
As a reminder about ammo. I asked Federal directly if they recommended their Gold Medal 168gr Match load for an M1. Answer was no, not a good fit.
As I note above its loaded with 54 grs of what is a relatively slow powder on the order of 4350 but exactly what it is remains an unknown.
I have been buying the PPU M1 load a box or two every time I go to the LGS. Its more available and much less expensive than the AE M1 ammo.
It shoots and functions well in one of my M1's, haven't tried it in the other.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sellier & Bellot has M1 specific ammo also. I have used both S&B and PPU. I had some issues with PPU but that may have been because I was using new CMP clips. I bought some older GI clips and had no issues.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Any SAMMI spec 148~165 grain .30-06 ammunition will function and fire just fine in a Garand. The bullet shape, (flat vs. BT), will have no effect on function.

And for those who say the Garand was not designed to shoot anything over 150 grain, you need to check your history.

Many thousands of competition shooters have used the 168 gr Match bullets for years, (myself counted among them, having fired many hundreds of 168 gr HPBT in my Garand), and I knew a few who were shooting heavier [173~175] grain bullets in unaltered Garands for years, with no problems or damage to the firearm.

Mind you that we/they knew what we/they were doing when we/they loaded those heavier bullets and did not exceed safety margins.

·
Registered
7,693 Posts
I don't think anyone said it wasn't OK to fire heavier bullets in the M1, most do. I used to shoot 185 Lapua's in prone matches with mine.
As to saying ANY Sammi spec ammo is fine for the M1? Don't think so. Much if not most 06 ammo is not designed to the specs the M1 likes. Maybe you didn't read the post I had above about how Federal told me that their 168 Gold Medal Match load was NOT good for the M1, wrong type and weight of powder, might bend the op rod. Now I know some have said they have done so with no problems, but if the maker says no, that's good enough for me.
The M1 uses the same basic components the M1A does. Medium burn rate powders and similar bullet weights, though the M1 is better suited for the broader range, up to 200 grs is fine.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Thanks for your advice.

Guess what?

I was at LAX Ammo today just poking around ( I got there early to beat the crowds desperately trying to get Ammo here in LA) I was eyeing the 30-06 ammo they had trying to find something that would work for my coming M1 Garand. I asked the overworked sales guy there If he had any M1 safe Ammo cause I didn’t see any and then he reached down and pulled up a whole case of 500 rounds of Privi Partisan A-612 30-06 Springfield FMJ 150 gr For M1 Garand it says For M1 Garand on the metal Ammo can and on the boxes of Ammo.

So I went for it. Cost about $365+tax for 500 rounds.

Doing my research for M1 Garand safe 30-06 ammo i was under the impression the Privi Partisan 30-06 was also too Hot for the M1 Garand So I went to their website and downloaded the catalog of ammo they sale to check the specs and I was surprised to find that it’s about were M2 Ball ammo should be

Privi Partisan A-612 30-06 Springfield FMJ 150 gr for Rifle M1 Garand.
Muzzle Velocity - 2749.34 FPS
Muzzle Energy - 3398 (J) 2499 PSI

30-06 Springfield M2 Ball FMJ 150 gr.
Muzzle Velocity - 2805 FPS
Muzzle Energy - 2656 PSI
According to M1 Garand-rifle.com

So if the manufacturer spec for the Privi Partisan 30-06 ammo is correct I think I lucked out.

What do you think?
Consistent with the other comments, I have gone thru a ton of this stuff. I buy in 500 round cans from SG Ammo.com. Next time get online and save money, unless the local guy is someone you want to take care of, which I def get. It has been good enough for two bronzes and a lot of "close bronzes." They really jumped in fast and well when all the mil surp HXP CMP ammo dried up.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
PPU M2 ball is good, plus a ammo can and the brass can be sold or reloaded

The CMP/Creedmoor stuff is great and the Creedmoor stuff with lapua brass you can darn near get 1/2 your money back for the brass to the right buyer.

·
Registered
126 Posts
If anyone is really concerned Garand Gear sells a gas plug for $40 that has a hollow base that softens things a hair. I bought one for peace of mind / I'm an addict and haven't had any function issues. Also allows you to shoot commercial non-specific Garand ammo if ever the SHTF

Well tested http://www.garandgear.com/ported-gas-plug.html

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I found the adjustable gas plug a waste. You waste ammo setting it for the particular lot of ammo you have. Also I dont see 30-06 selling for the same or less than the available "M1 safe" options.

my only regret with the PPU M2ball stuff was not buying a boat load when it was actually cheaper than CMP HXP!!

Now HXP issues: there are some like anything else when manufactures "change" things.

From my HXP use.
I bought a 4 tin case when they shipped in the wood crate. 1972 the clips in that lot where all trouble some no matter the ammo. Tumbling them in the polisher helped about 30% of them. The rest are slowly being converted to single shot clips.

i did not have any other issues with any other lots of HXP. IIRC i have run 67,68,70,72,74,77. The 77 year I form into 7.7 jap

Here is my list of issues and non issues
1. USGI ammo does not play well in post extractor change enblocs
2. HXP clips (non USGI ) heavy park on many some just dont work well( 1972 in particular) no matter the cartridge used.
3. The non usgi clips in the HXP seem to have some problems in the first lots that you see less and less USGI clips coming in the tins
4. So far all HXP has worked in USGI clips

5. HXP seems to have a flyer in each enbloc.

I think the PPU is the best non match grade M1 ammo you can get . Get it when you can.

Just to add: I could get $15 for the ammo can with out trying hard and i had a regular buyer for the brass at .25 each. So I could get $125-150 back per 500 can when I wanted to sell.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Any SAMMI spec 148~165 grain .30-06 ammunition will function and fire just fine in a Garand. The bullet shape, (flat vs. BT), will have no effect on function.

And for those who say the Garand was not designed to shoot anything over 150 grain, you need to check your history.

Many thousands of competition shooters have used the 168 gr Match bullets for years, (myself counted among them, having fired many hundreds of 168 gr HPBT in my Garand), and I knew a few who were shooting heavier [173~175] grain bullets in unaltered Garands for years, with no problems or damage to the firearm.

Mind you that we/they knew what we/they were doing when we/they loaded those heavier bullets and did not exceed safety margins.
The M2 AP Black tip was predominantly used as a combat round in Western Europe 1944-45 was a 168.5 grain round (to add and emphasize your point - which is spot on)

·
Registered
310 Posts
Im Also waiting on an M one from CMP I’m about to buy Schuster plugs in case I can’t find the ammo but I do reload Hope this helps good luck
You don't need to buy one. grease the rifle properly and ensure the oprod spring is in spec(orion 7 makes great ones). You won't have any issues.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts