M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m waiting for my CMP SPECIAL GRADE M1 GARAND and I wanted to start shopping for Ammo for it but naturally I choose a bad time with this run on Ammo because of COVID-19 crisis.

I can’t find any M2 Spec Springfield 30-06 150 gr FMJ Flat base Ammo right now but the local ammo store does has American Eagle Rifle 30-06 Springfield AE3006N with a 150 gr FMJ Boat Tail Bullet.

https://www.laxammo.com/rifle/30-06-sprg/american-eagle-30-06-sprg-150-gr-fmj-bt-ae3006n-detail

The specs on this ammo is almost similar to M2 Ball ammo and I want to know it it’s safe to use in a M1 Garand?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Check in the BX here, sometimes you'll find a good deal on HXP (Greek mfg 30-06) & it works well in my M1 --- I know XXIVCorps has a great thread on ammo 7.62x51 (.308) & may have something on the 30-06 (7.62x63).

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
The specs on this ammo is almost similar to M2 Ball ammo and I want to know it it’s safe to use in a M1 Garand?
That ammo is too hot for an M1 Garand, you want the AE3006M1 (on bottom).
The ammo you listed is the box on top - its for bolt-action rifles, not M1 Garands:

M1 spec ammo has medium rate powder and lower velocity (see specs on right: 2910 fps vs 2740 fps - same 150gr bullet)
The gas port diameter on the M1 Garand barrel was designed around a certain pressure level and medium burn rate powder (I4895):

Boxes on top is full power ammo for bolt action, whereas the AE ammo for an M1 is more moderate in power, and it has a Garand pictured on the box:

..even the headstamps are marked "30-M1" - just an fyi:

Unfortunately CMP shut-down all operations from March 20 until I think April 6th due to pandemic, but when they re-open you could
consider this M1 safe Creedmore ammo for your Garand (I think they were offering a discount too with the purchase of an M1):
https://estore.thecmp.org/Catalog/Item/4C3006CS150-200

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
I've got one of those M1 headstamped cases in my collection, I thought it was pretty neat. It's curious... they plaster M1 all over the ammo for it, but I think they should put a disclaimer on the regular ammos (i.e: 'not for use in standard M1' or some such.)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
M1 Safe Ammo

The ammo you listed is the box on top - its for bolt-action rifles, not M1 Garands:

M1 spec ammo has medium rate powder and lower velocity (see specs on right: 2910 fps vs 2740 fps - same 150gr bullet)
The gas port diameter on the M1 Garand barrel was designed around a certain pressure level and medium burn rate powder (I4895):

Boxes on top is full power ammo for bolt action, whereas the AE ammo for an M1 is more moderate in power, and it has a Garand pictured on the box:

..even the headstamps are marked "30-M1" - just an fyi:

Unfortunately CMP shut-down all operations from March 20 until I think April 6th due to pandemic, but when they re-open you could
consider this M1 safe Creedmore ammo for your Garand (I think they were offering a discount too with the purchase of an M1):
https://estore.thecmp.org/Catalog/Item/4C3006CS150-200
Thanks for your advice.

Guess what?

I was at LAX Ammo today just poking around ( I got there early to beat the crowds desperately trying to get Ammo here in LA) I was eyeing the 30-06 ammo they had trying to find something that would work for my coming M1 Garand. I asked the overworked sales guy there If he had any M1 safe Ammo cause I didn’t see any and then he reached down and pulled up a whole case of 500 rounds of Privi Partisan A-612 30-06 Springfield FMJ 150 gr For M1 Garand it says For M1 Garand on the metal Ammo can and on the boxes of Ammo.

So I went for it. Cost about $365+tax for 500 rounds.

Doing my research for M1 Garand safe 30-06 ammo i was under the impression the Privi Partisan 30-06 was also too Hot for the M1 Garand So I went to their website and downloaded the catalog of ammo they sale to check the specs and I was surprised to find that it’s about were M2 Ball ammo should be

Privi Partisan A-612 30-06 Springfield FMJ 150 gr for Rifle M1 Garand.
Muzzle Velocity - 2749.34 FPS
Muzzle Energy - 3398 (J) 2499 PSI

30-06 Springfield M2 Ball FMJ 150 gr.
Muzzle Velocity - 2805 FPS
Muzzle Energy - 2656 PSI
According to M1 Garand-rifle.com

So if the manufacturer spec for the Privi Partisan 30-06 ammo is correct I think I lucked out.

What do you think?

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
PPU 150 gr. for M1 Garand is what I buy and shoot for my Garand. I have had zero problems with it and save the brass to reload some day. I think you are good to go........

·
Registered
528 Posts
So if the manufacturer spec for the Privi Partisan 30-06 ammo is correct I think I lucked out.
What do you think?
It's decent ammo and not a bad price....considering the current conditions.
This has been a favorite of many Garand owners, not match grade ammo.
If you should reload, the cases are good for that too!

Good choice, you did well!!

·
Registered
714 Posts
Here's some basic M1 info you may find helpful - http://www.garandgear.com/m1-garand-tutorials/

This link has tests of different .30-06 ammo with velocity and pressure curves -

http://www.garandgear.com/m1-garand-ammunition

As you can see by comparing the graphs, powder burn rate has more affect on pressure than velocity and bullet weight.

Many people use the PPU 150gr, and it typically performs well, but it does produce slightly more pressure than standard M2 Ball.

There are a few safe choices for factory ammo based on this data.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts

What do you think?
I think that Privi ammo for the M1 is fine, and under the circumstances perhaps the best alternative to the Federal M1 ammo or the CMP/Creedmore M1 ammo.

(I will reiterate what jvk45 noted, its not the velocity specs that matter per se, its the burn rate of the powder that matters with respect to the M1 Garand (and M1A) action. I suspect Privi is using an appropriate medium rate burn powder for that ammo - since its advertised as safe for M1 Garands).

I hope you get to enjoy your new M1 this summer once business are adjusted accordingly.

·
Registered
336 Posts
On the CMP forum you will find members with HXP ammo for sale.

So if you want to be more for your Garand, it's there for purchase at rates commensurate with the current times.

I would suggest that you buy some HXP with clips or consider buying clips from another vendor as, while the ammo you bought is fine, without clips it still leaves your M1 a single shot rifle save for the one clip that came with its purchase.

All the best.

John

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Many people use the PPU 150gr, and it typically performs well, but it does produce slightly more pressure than standard M2 Ball.
I planning to get a adjustable Gas pug anyway for my M1 so if there are any potential issues with Privi Partisan ammo I’ll, be covered.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
I would suggest that you buy some HXP with clips or consider buying clips from another vendor as, while the ammo you bought is fine, without clips it still leaves your M1 a single shot rifle save for the one clip that came with its purchase.
John, I found out the hard way years ago that the enbloc clips that come with the HXP ammo are incompatible with USGI ammo. The extractor cut on the HXP cases is like that on 7.62 NATO ammo cases. It is not like the cut on USGI cal .30 ammo cases. I suspect that the USGI cut is the same as standardized by SAAMI.

Some folks love HXP ammo. After I had problems with the issued HXP 77 ammo at Camp Perry many years ago, I swore I'd never use any HXP again. I have kept my word.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Nice score on the priv ammo. Save the cases, reload it. Better groupings and then you can find what your gun really like.

Also if you need some clips, I have a box and would be willing to share some if you
Don’t have any. From a follow SoCal gent to another.

If you aren’t reloaded, never a better time then now to get into it. I happy to help if needed as well. I can walk you through it in my shop.

Good luck,

-Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here's some basic M1 info you may find helpful - http://www.garandgear.com/m1-garand-tutorials/

This link has tests of different .30-06 ammo with velocity and pressure curves -

http://www.garandgear.com/m1-garand-ammunition

As you can see by comparing the graphs, powder burn rate has more affect on pressure than velocity and bullet weight.

There are a few safe choices for factory ammo based on this data.
At target Sports USA.com where they sell Privi Partisan 30-06 M1 Garand ammo it’s says this.

Prvi Partizan 30-06 Springfield M1 Garand Ammo 150 Grain Full Metal Jacket ammo review offers the following information; This 30-06 ammo features a 150 grain lead core non-magnetic copper plated full metal jacket bullet, a non corrosive boxer primer and brand new never fired virgin brass casing that can be reloaded several times for those high volume 30-06 ammo shooters that love to reload their 30-06 bulk ammunition. This Soft point bullets feature a soft lead exposed nose that create controlled expansion and a uniform mushroom.

This 30-06 Springfield ammunition is specifically designed and tested to ensure flawless functioning in surplus M1 Garand rifles. Loaded to slightly less pressures than most commercial 30-06 cartridges, this ammunition will not damage the operating rod of these older firearms.

Prvi Partizan 30-06 Springfield M1 Garand ammunition offers muzzle velocity of 2723 feet per second and muzzle energy 2499 ft. lbs.
https://www.targetsportsusa.com/prvi-partizan-30-06-springfield-m1-garand-150-gr-fmj-pp348-p-95.aspx

So I dunno. It LOOKS good to me. I don’t think the Manufacturer would make false claims about their product and leave themselves exposed to the liabilities inherent with doing that.

What do you think?

·
Registered
336 Posts
John, I found out the hard way years ago that the enbloc clips that come with the HXP ammo are incompatible with USGI ammo. The extractor cut on the HXP cases is like that on 7.62 NATO ammo cases. It is not like the cut on USGI cal .30 ammo cases. I suspect that the USGI cut is the same as standardized by SAAMI.

Some folks love HXP ammo. After I had problems with the issued HXP 77 ammo at Camp Perry many years ago, I swore I'd never use any HXP again. I have kept my word.
Your thoughts are appreciated.

My point was only that he needed to find some source of clips, ammo alone for the M1 is an incomplete answer :).

And certainly clipped HXP works as clipped HXP even thought the clips may not be usable in other settings as you are so right to remind us.

All the best.

·
Registered
653 Posts
At target Sports USA.com where they sell Privi Partisan 30-06 M1 Garand ammo it’s says this.
https://www.targetsportsusa.com/prvi-partizan-30-06-springfield-m1-garand-150-gr-fmj-pp348-p-95.aspx
So I dunno. It LOOKS good to me. I don’t think the Manufacturer would make false claims about their product and leave themselves exposed to the liabilities inherent with doing that.

What do you think?
I've shot just over 800-rds of the PPU 'Garand-Safe' ammo through my various M1s.

Never had one problem, and I thought that accuracy was pretty good for what is basically generic, non-'match grade' range ammo.

Plus, it's priced cheaper per round than what guys are wanting now for their HXP ammo (trying to unload what they bought over the years from CMP).

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Interesting article on the Garand and Garand ammo in the newest GCA magazine.
Some of it goes against what has commonly been accepted.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Interesting article on the Garand and Garand ammo in the newest GCA magazine.
Some of it goes against what has commonly been accepted.
I take great exception to that article. The writers suggest that there is no significant difference between the various types of ammo even though the spread in bolt velocity is 26%. That is huge! Stay tuned for the next edition of the Journal.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts