M14 Forum banner

Alternative to affixing the F/S--NY guys in here!

4027 Views 8 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  tokiwartooth
So, here in NY, and AW must be registered and we don't get any free features. A suppressor or a barrel threaded to accept one counts. So I've been thinking of ways to not have to register.

It would also need to be CMP legal:
"No alteration or modification may change the external configuration of the rifle."

I have a polytech dummy suppressor coming and I will fit it to where it takes a mallet to get it on. But I'd need to take the threads off the muzzle and still hold the nut in place. I don't mind altering the barrel; it's a consumable item in my book and it's already a long way down the road.

I'd like to pin the suppressor or nut in place, and then lok-titing the non-functional castle nut but I can't figure a way to do a pin/screw without it being evident. Thoughts?

ETA: Maybe drill a hole under the front sight that goes through the nut and into the barrel.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
50 Posts
Hi 30 Caliber;

Why not contact CMP with the question of how an M1A or Garand can be made a NY legal "non-AW" yet still be legal for competition? I'm sure that you're not the only NY based competitor and the question has to be of importance to them.

Just a thought.
Good luck,
Grumpy

· Registered
2,807 Posts
I sent them an email earlier to ask about the options. I think if I run a screw under the sight, I'll be in the clear.
30, I've already starting testing this.

I bought 2 Polytech solid FHs, and tapped them right underneath behind the bayo lug. I tapped it 6-32 NC, bought some set screws from the hardware store. Yes, they are tight. or you can try drilling/tapping the castle nut. That's my next live fire test.
As of now, I grinded the threads off of the interior of a castle nut.

What I may do with my barrel threads is silver solder over them, instead of grinding them off. Then, one day, I may be able to rethread the barrel.

Now, I'm not going to destroy the threads on my USGI barrels, so.. I'm going to get a few commercial barrels and use those until I get flee this state, or this communist legislation gets tossed.

We have a year to figure it out. I emailed Lou @ LRB my proposed process and he said WAIT, don't do nothing until we see what happens with this law.

· Registered
3,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi 30 Caliber;

Why not contact CMP with the question of how an M1A or Garand can be made a NY legal "non-AW" yet still be legal for competition? I'm sure that you're not the only NY based competitor and the question has to be of importance to them.

Just a thought.
Good luck,
Grumpy
I asked CMP about putting a pin through the castle nut or suppressor; they said if it's visible, it's a no go currently. They're discussing rules for 2013 next month; he said he'd bring it up.

· Registered
2,807 Posts
I asked CMP about putting a pin through the castle nut or suppressor; they said if it's visible, it's a no go currently. They're discussing rules for 2013 next month; he said he'd bring it up.
We may have a technicality. The m14 barrel is not threaded to accept a FS. It's threaded for a castle nut. Drilling and tapping the FS and using a set screw failed on me. The area of the FS is not thick enough to accomodate enough threads. So... I need to tap it by a spline so there is more meat for threads, or tack a castle nut to the FS, and then drill/tap through the flat where the bayo lug used to be, all the way through.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.