M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aloha Everyone!!!

I had a few moments free and wanted to wish all of you a warm Aloha from a small, no, more like a tiny speck in the Pacific... called Pohnpei. This is connection to the Internet is not fast and not always available so I can only chime in when I can... :cry:

Miss you guys!!! Man, being away from the board is like having "withdrawls"... Looks like I will have a lot to catch up with when I get back... :lol: Take Care!!!

Aloha and Best Wishes!!!

Tom O.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Aloha Tom ...

Wanna trade places ... ???

Have fun on them warm tropical beaches ... :wink:

Six

·
Banned
10,629 Posts
Aloha Thomas! Hope you are mixing some pleasure with your business, Just thought you would like to know....I received a e-mail from Les Tam and he put my new Sling in the mail today...I can't wait. I will post a pic as soon as it arrives. Thanks again,,,Mahalo Hawk

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Tom,
What kinda connection do you have on Phonpei? Satallite or other?
Yes you are going to have a lot of catching up to do. Question. Are guns allowed on Phonpei?

Regards

Ox

What!!!, This is a firearms forum, I had to ask about the guns. :)

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Everyone...

I got to play on an open link today, so I thought I would send a quick "howdy" your way... :lol:

Our group is providing a satellite data link to Pohnpei and it is working well, but since we are doing some technical training for the System Operators, I don't get a chance to use our own system...

In this case, I am using a local link that gets me about 10 Kbps transfer... and while better than dial-up it is just barely better... but beggers cannot be choosers, and I am happy to at least get connected...

I will save the catching up for when I get back, but I did want to drop in see how things were going...

Pohnpei is a beautiful tropical Pacific island with lush green mountains, sparkling waterfalls and some (believe it or not) good food!!! The people here are ALL friendly and will "talk stories" or help anyone and everyone... so it's been fun while still being a lot of work that needed to be accomplished. I've let my guys goof off on the "off" hours and they have been sight seeing and trying out the local "adult beverage" called Sakau (a narcotic drink derived from a pepper plant root growing everywhere here) and its LEGAL! Anyway, while interesting, I've been here many, many times in the past and will change place with SixTGunr in a heartbeat! I saw an old CNN telecast and it showed heavy snow in the North East sector of the USA and that looked awesome!!! I would love to play in snow for a week or two... :lol: Ok, OK, I know the grass is always greener on the other side... :lol:

Ah, I miss you folks, so I need to hurry up and get home and on-line!!! :lol:

So, I hope I am on-line soon!!! Take Care everybody and god bless!!!

Aloha,

Tom O.

·
Registered
498 Posts
dighawaii said:
Hi Everyone...

I saw an old CNN telecast and it showed heavy snow in the North East sector of the USA and that looked awesome!!! I would love to play in snow for a week or two... :lol: Ok, OK, I know the grass is always greener on the other side... :lol:

Aloha,

Tom O.
Tom,

I spent my last 2 years in the Air Force at Grand Forks ND :( . Never trade sunshine and warm weather for snow and cold :!: You can always look at pictures or videos of snow and not be freezing your @$$ off...Brrrrrrrr :wink:

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Guys!

I'm back and trying to catch up.... just pulled in about 1/2 hour ago and already on the computer checking things out... it's 5:13 am in Hawaii...

Wow, I had some serious "withdrawls" from being away from the boards and my guns!!! Yikes! 8O

Glad to be back... :lol:

Aloha,

Tom O.

·
Registered
498 Posts

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Aloha Maze:

Sounds like a sweet deals all around... I really wish I coulda jumped on the Devine... it might have been a consecutive number to my Devine... #709 or #711 would have been sweeeeet!

Did you get your Smith yet? Send some pics so we can see what she looks like.

I am also working on a pre-ban NM from my dealer for $1500. So this deal was beginning to cook before I left.

Let me know, anytime, if I can back you guys up... don't want any of us in the "dog" house... :lol:

Ah, Great to be baaaacccccckkkkkk!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Aloha,

Tom O.

·
Registered
498 Posts
dighawaii said:
Aloha Maze:

Did you get your Smith yet? Send some pics so we can see what she looks like.

Tom O.
Won't get to take her home 'til Friday :( (Calif 10 day waiting period). I'll post pic this weekend :p . She is to be delivered to my FFL tomorrow. I hope I'm not getting shafted again :oops: .

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Maze:

I got my fingers crossed for you... How did you get burned the last time?

If you posted, I don't seem to remember what happened...

Aloha and Best Wishes,

Tom O.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
dighawaii said:
Hey Maze:

Aloha and Best Wishes,

Tom O.
It was billed as a Match rifle built by Marine Corps Smith, but name unknown. The guy who sold it to me got it used and knew nothing about the rifle. He was really shocked when I called him and gave him the run down on the condition of it.

1/2" MOA: barrel shot out gaged 5-6, Mcmillan stock: not but looked like it in photo, all TRW parts: H&R hammer in TRW housing and TRW op rod worn out due to lack of lube in bolt roller cam area. :evil:

I'd paid $1500 for it because it was a pre ban and at the time there were not to many being listed for sale. After talking to the seller he agreed to refund $500.00 or accept return of the rifle. I agreed to the $500 and spent $800 to make it the beauty it is today. Shoots 1.5" from G.I. stock after trip to Smith Enterprise 8)

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Welcome back Tom.
I'm still curious. Are the Islanders allowed any type of firearm?

Regards

Ox

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
"Welcome Back Tom" ..... :wink:

Been hectic around my place anyway .... Would have traded for the warm tropical beaches in a heartbeat .... :wink:

Six

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oxmix:

The islanders are allowed to have firearms but the laws change from island to island... in Pohnpei, the could purchase long arms in .22 cal or .410 and use them to shoot pests and fruit bats...

The people in the islands are so friendly and giving that crime is almost non-existant, well, at least as we view crimes today. There is usually NO thefts or burgs because the islanders would give you almost whatever they have. The biggest problem I see is "infedelity". Sometimes, wives would see greener pastures on the other side of the fence and that will cause problems amongst villiages and families... 8O

I asked around to see if anyone might have stashed M1 Garands, Arisaka rifles, etc. but it seems that there is no need for high caliber rifles and most did not even know about war rifles. A BAR would have been cool!

There are many war memorials and evidence that a big war was fought there... many cave fortresses and in some places helmets can still be found but no much more, with the humidity, heat and rain, most metals rust like crazy!

Well, it looks like I missed out on two gorgeous "tiger stipes", huh? Wished, I got my hands on some of that... awesome wood.

Aloha and Best Wishes,

Tom O.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Tom,
The next time you travel to the Islands where battles were fought or troops were garrisoned, you should bring along a metal detector and see what historical remnants you might find. Provided there is any intrest.

Did I understand earlier posts that firearms have to be registered with the local police in Hawaii?

Regards

Ox

·
Registered
498 Posts
Anonymous said:
dighawaii said:
Hey Maze:

Aloha and Best Wishes,

Tom O.
It was billed as a Match rifle built by Marine Corps Smith, but name unknown. The guy who sold it to me got it used and knew nothing about the rifle. He was really shocked when I called him and gave him the run down on the condition of it.

1/2" MOA: barrel shot out gaged 5-6, Mcmillan stock: not but looked like it in photo, all TRW parts: H&R hammer in TRW housing and TRW op rod worn out due to lack of lube in bolt roller cam area. :evil:

I'd paid $1500 for it because it was a pre ban and at the time there were not to many being listed for sale. After talking to the seller he agreed to refund $500.00 or accept return of the rifle. I agreed to the $500 and spent $800 to make it the beauty it is today. Shoots 1.5" from G.I. stock after trip to Smith Enterprise 8)
That was me :oops:

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
dighawaii said:
Well, it looks like I missed out on two gorgeous "tiger stipes", huh? Wished, I got my hands on some of that... awesome wood.
"See what happens when you go trompin' through the tropical isles?

I figured that being I was'nt invited the least I could do while you were gone was to pick up some goodies but to be honest with ya I would have traded that tiger for those beaches any day ... :wink:

Only problem is ... I probably would'nt come back ... :D

Six

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi MsgtMaze:

I am really happy you were able to resolve that one and I hope this one comes exactly as you imagine it to... :lol: Sounded like you did alright in the end and that is GREAT news! Don't forget to take some pics so we all can take a peek at your new acquisition.

SixTGunr:

Dem "Tigers" looked AWESOME and then some!!! If ya gave me a "911", I might have dumped the training for one of those beauties!!! :lol: The good news is that the sunny days and beautiful beaches are exactly as I remember them over the last 10 years of traveling to them... and will always be there when you're ready!!!

Oxmix:

A metal detector would really be fun! Most of the islanders are "happy go lucky" people and would never consider what "might" be buried just beneath the surface... Most times, if they can't see it with their eyes, they're not interested. One can only imagine what might be there... I might just take one on my next travel... Who knows?!?

As for Hawaii, each firearm must be registered with the Honolulu Police Department. Permits for long arms are good for one year with NO limit on the amount that can be purchased, but each rifle must be registered with HPD upon receipt (usually 3-5 days). Each and every handgun must be applied for individually with a mandatory 2 week wait. Which invariably requires three trips to the HPD not including the back and forth run around to the dealers... Its a drag, but its the law.

I've considered going to Arizona or other states that allow purchase with only ID's and just bringing them back to Hawaii and registering them... Man, I have a hard time competing for firearms sold in the mainland with a 2-5 hour lag in time... it always looks like I snoozed and lost in many transactions. I know, I know, put some cheese with the "whine"... :lol:

This is what motivates me to get when I can, whenever I can... Gee, that sounded pretty good as an excuse for my addiction... :lol:

Sorry, for the rambling... I just missed being here and trying to make up for lost time...

Aloha,

Tom O.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts