M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on the LRB list 4 months of waiting.,Yes LRB is nice forged .SAI also looks good.I've built many garands I know M1A is a different animal!But bieng forged does that mean it will be in spec?At least with SAI I have the lifetime warranty if op rod channel is out of spec.Fulton and 7.62 also are gaining ground on LRB!I know the choice is mine but.It will be tough one to make!I don't know if bieng forged will make it easier!Yes SAI is cast I owned SAI a long time. The xd is fantastic!!
Fulton is marked M14 wait I think LRB IS m14 also. WOW!!! DARN LAWS IN NJ SUCK!!!!!!! If they mark them m25 It will be ok I hope.Darn I never thought of that untill now!Anyway I guess SAI all the way!It will be a time consuming build.I have all the tools I will need.The TRW barrel is .5 te me0. Any thoughts on the build will help.I have too many toys shh don't tell wife.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I will gladly take them off you're hand.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
If you need to spread them around to confuse the watchers, send some out this way. Just trying to help. (ps: I won't tell your wife.)

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
ALL TRW parts what to do with them???

To start with thank the good Lord that you've even got those TRW parts. There's nothing better under the sun than TRW when it comes to US GI M-14 parts...

7th

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
I'm going to tell her if you don't send them to me......extortion,...thats my game,....blackmail......Look, I am just trying to help you out here and save your marriage.DI5

I have been doing some real critical testing on the 762MM receivers, and a fair amount of spec work since their beginning. When I say critical, I mean shooting the tar out of them. I have sent a 17 point review to Chris and a follow up on the next two batches of receivers. I have gotten examples from all batches produced to date. I will have examples from next upcoming batch as well. All the points I covered in the first one and the second one of six points, have been examined and they are getting the ball rolling as far as I am concerned. Likened to a ball rolling downhill, a snowball if you will, that gains momentum, mass, and speed, with each revolution. I honestly feel it will eventually roll over any and all other manufacturers in the way. Just my humble opinion, but I would highly recommend a receiver from 762MM. Forged receivers just have that thumping sound like a BAR when fired, instead of the pinging sound of an SAI cast receiver. There is no waiting time usually, to speak of, when compared to buying elsewhere either.

·
Registered
166 Posts
... Forged receivers just have that thumping sound like a BAR when fired, instead of the pinging sound of an SAI cast receiver....

Is there proof of this documented somewhere?
How can you separate the sound the receiver makes from the sound of the cartridge firing?

I'm sorry, but all the bad mouthing of Springfield Armory is getting a little "unbelievable".
I need to start seeing some proof.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Trw

As I'm the self nominated TRW test person, please send them to me so as to complete my testing.ICONSMILE

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
Is there proof of this documented somewhere?
How can you separate the sound the receiver makes from the sound of the cartridge firing?

I'm sorry, but all the bad mouthing of Springfield Armory is getting a little "unbelievable".
I need to start seeing some proof.
Badmouthing of SAI ?....Is that what I did ? Thats news to me. I was under the impression that I simply made a recommendation for a receiver to buy or use in his build, and made a sound comparison between two makers difference. I didn't say there is anything wrong with SAI, just that I like the sound better.

As for proof, you will just have to do it for yourself. If you can't hear the difference yourself, then you have severe hearing damage, and shouldn't be shooting in the first place. There is a resounding ring ,during and after the cartridge is fired. If you can learn to listen for it, it's easy to hear, but of course, you have to have actual experience in shooting, and a good bit of time behind the trigger of one of these, or many, like myself. maybe it's a God given talent ? Perhaps with all the members we have on this forum, someone out there knows exactly what I am talking about, and has heard it. But if they posted yes, would you even believe them, or accuse them of bashing SAI, even though they own many of them, and LRB's, which incidently, have a nice ring too. Have you ever shot a real B.A.R. ?...If not, you couldn't possibly understand what I am trying to convey.

·
Registered
135 Posts
LRB Receivers are marked M14SA, not just M14. There is a difference. You should be able to get an LRB receiver in NJ. I don't see why you couldn't do it. I used to live in Komifornia, if I can get them there, NJ shouldn't be too hard.

If you need to dispose of your parts I will give you $50 for the lot. Better than all the other "free" offers you have getting so far!! GI7

·
Registered
166 Posts
....As for proof, you will just have to do it for yourself.

If you can't hear the difference yourself, then you have severe hearing damage, and shouldn't be shooting in the first place.

... If you can learn to listen for it, it's easy to hear, but of course, you have to have actual experience in shooting,

...and a good bit of time behind the trigger of one of these, or many, like myself.

...maybe it's a God given talent ? ...

... Have you ever shot a real B.A.R. ?

...If not, you couldn't possibly understand what I am trying to convey.

Thanks for setting me straight.
I had no idea I was that unqualified with firearms.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I don't think it's bashing when you're telling it like it is. Sometimes some people just don't want to hear the truth. But the truth is forged is better then cast as far as receivers go. Take what you want from it from there...

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Well, now that all that is out of the way, in answer to the original post the 7.62 receiver is marked 7.6 MM M14 NM. I don't know if that is legal in your state, if it's not that seems just as stupid as some of the laws passed here in CA. I own a Springfield and will never part with it. Just a passing point of interest, I don't ever remember seeing a Springfield receiver sold alone. You will be fine with any of the choices you are contemplating. Keep us posted and remember, it didn't happen without pictures.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
I have an SAI receiver now and would like to get an LRB or SEI soon. I love my SAI and it seems to be in spec, it's very smooth. It's so smooth that if the wind blows it cycles a new round (that can be annoying). I have not seen SAI's for sale separately which is a good reason to go with LRB or SEI.

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
, I don't ever remember seeing a Springfield receiver sold alone. .
I have not seen SAI's for sale separately which is a good reason to go with LRB or SEI.
The reason most people have not seen just SAI receivers for sale alone, is because there is only one retailer in the entire United States that has the exclusive right to sell them, and until just recently, they have been out of stock, due to back orders from the SA factory. I like SAI pretty good too, and had three up until a few months ago. I like them enough that I am not so sure I should tell you guys where to buy them, because then they will go out of stock again, and there won't be enough for me, should I decide to buy another one or two.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I have an SAI receiver now and would like to get an LRB or SEI soon. I love my SAI and it seems to be in spec, it's very smooth. It's so smooth that if the wind blows it cycles a new round (that can be annoying). I have not seen SAI's for sale separately which is a good reason to go with LRB or SEI.
I believe Champion's Choice sells SAI receivers.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I'll take em? LOL. I own 2 SAI M1A's. One pre ban 1990 and a 2009. There is a big difference in the two. The 1990 is all GI. The 09 is whatever they put on it. Sorry Capt America. Not gonna bash SAI, but I won't toe the line and say they are the cats meow either! I know better. They just are a victim of supply and demand, and current business practices. The only reason I have a new M1A is I needed one to shoot the heck out off, and not worry about a scratch or a ding.
P.S.
The 09 got all USGI parts. Now it is a great rifle.
JMPWNG2ARMY1CIB3

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for helping me make my choice of rec.I'm on LRB's waiting list.Gives me time to look into 762 for a third build.I know I wont stop at 2 or 3 rifles.Iplan to build them myself. I have all the tools needed.Building an m1a cant be much harder than a garand.I'v built many of them.Hardest thing I see is lapping the bolt.I have 12 garandsI bought one when I got the TRW parts!Next build will be HRA! They are my favorite garand.Maybe M1As too.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
I've owned and shot SAI and LRB side by side...When they're working you can't tell the difference. Either one of them can throw fits and cause you issues. Either one can be a bad one. I've personally never actually seen a bad SAI rifle, and I've owned 13 over the years (since 1978) They all have been good. Both my LRBs were spot on as well.

I don't drink the KoolAid wether it be LRB flavored, USGI flavored or TRW flavored. I'll save that for the folks that pay double what a part is worth just to have "all TRW"....On that note my SAI is "all TRW"...It simply came that way.GI2
It shoots, and I'll put it up against ANY service grade stock rifle made by LRB, 7.62, Fulton or whomever .

If I took a blank SAI receiver and stamped LRB on it 99.9% people would never know the difference.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts