M14 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the salesman at work wanted to do something to thank me for putting together a multi million dollar estimate and proposal for one of his customers that had just won a purchase order for our company, he knew that I was into shooting so he invited me to join him at the shooting club he belongs to, Pearland Shooting Center, to do some plate shooting. He knew that I had M14 clones and asked if I could bring one along for him to take a look at. After shooting 4 -500 rounds of .9mm, .40 and .45 ACP at plates we went over to the rifle range. We only had about a half hour before shooting stopped so just some off hand at paper at 50 yards. He had his M1 Carbine with him that he has been shooting 3 gun with, I think that he also has a half dozen AR's. I had my Rock Ola and my Springfield Standard. He said that when he was in the Army back in the late 70's, that they drilled with M14's but had never shot them. I let him fire a magazine out of the Rock and he had a smile on his face. He did a good job keeping them on the paper too. We stopped shooting at 7:30 cleaned up our brass, talked a bit and then left.

This morning at work he comes to my desk and says that my M14 clone was one of the most enjoyable rifles that he had ever shot and asked all about models, pricing and availability. I am more then happy to answer any questions that he has, but really all it takes is once to get bitten by the M14 addicition!

·
Registered
131 Posts
addiction

One of the salesman at work wanted to do something to thank me for putting together a multi million dollar estimate and proposal for one of his customers that had just won a purchase order for our company, he knew that I was into shooting so he invited me to join him at the shooting club he belongs to, Pearland Shooting Center, to do some plate shooting. He knew that I had M14 clones and asked if I could bring one along for him to take a look at. After shooting 4 -500 rounds of .9mm, .40 and .45 ACP at plates we went over to the rifle range. We only had about a half hour before shooting stopped so just some off hand at paper at 50 yards. He had his M1 Carbine with him that he has been shooting 3 gun with, I think that he also has a half dozen AR's. I had my Rock Ola and my Springfield Standard. He said that when he was in the Army back in the late 70's, that they drilled with M14's but had never shot them. I let him fire a magazine out of the Rock and he had a smile on his face. He did a good job keeping them on the paper too. We stopped shooting at 7:30 cleaned up our brass, talked a bit and then left.

This morning at work he comes to my desk and says that my M14 clone was one of the most enjoyable rifles that he had ever shot and asked all about models, pricing and availability. I am more then happy to answer any questions that he has, but really all it takes is once to get bitten by the M14 addicition!
And rimfire 22 lr is the gateway. That is why we have to keep it away from children!

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No time cards for me, my good deeds for the year are added up and come back to me at years end, it's all good!

Reactions: Bgrafsr

·
Registered
408 Posts
First time

It didn't even take once for me, I bought my M1A without ever firing one. Hell, I had only seen one for the first time the day before at a gun show. Saw it on a Saturday and bought it the next day after thinking about it all night.

One of the best purchases I've ever made.
The first time I thank it was in the 70's I saw an add in some rag for a BM 59, I want one. I did not know about rebirth of M14 clone's was into Trap guns and 1911s. Never paid any attention to the military racks, one day in 2003 when I went in too pick up my 4" 629 I saw my first M1A bought it on spot I had been in the dog house before but not like this, still no regrets.

Vern

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
18,075 Posts
all it takes is once to get bitten by the M14 addicition!
+1, Good show for bringing in another guy into the fold. Make sure you show him the forum too.
It only took once for me too, I was 13 years old in JROTC and I was one that was selected to be able to fire an instructor's M1A at a hunter safety training weekend. I had fired guns before but I knew this was the one. I didn't think I could afford one and the love stuck with me until I got one at age 30, it never went away. You're right, it only took once!
m14brian

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'd always admire3d the M14, but was into FALs and L1A1s. One afternoon at a gravel pit in Northern Idaho, a couple of men came and set up their lead sled next to where my wife and I were shooting our pistols, and they pulled out an M1A and Garand. After I stared enough, I got to shoot the M1A and hear a few Vietnam stories as well. They then even insisted that I use their lead sled to sight in my hunting rifle.

You're right. Once is all it takes!

I finally ended up selling my prize LEO import L1A1, which gave enough to fund having an L1A1 and an M1A. I still can't tell you which is my favorite!

And thanks to all who are kind and ready to share - which I find encouragingly common in the gun world. I hope I can pass that on.

·
Registered
177 Posts
My gateway was the Garand. Love those guns. So classic.

But wait, I can get a product improved Garand? It takes a magazine? The op rod is a little more squared away? Sign me up! (No plans to sell my beloved CMP Special .308 Garand though!)

So now, I've got a SOCOM. It's great but I put an older Springfield NM setup on layaway. Now I am day dreaming about some builds on a Rock Ola M21 receiver with USGI parts.

I am bitten.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.