M14 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Crisco candle thread has me wanting to post about the nuclear equivalent to candles and regular wick lamps: Aladdin oil lamps. For those as don't know, these are non-pressurized mantle lamps that silently give off a very bright light equal to a 60-75 watt lightbulb, while actually being easier on fuel than a regular wicked lamp. Family members who were out on the farm before electricity used to rave about how wonderful it was when they first got an Aladdin, and they are still wonderful indeed when the power goes out. Thing is, they're being forgotten and parts how have to be ordered from companies like Lehman's and Amazon. Anyway, despite the high starting price of around $100, every prepper should have at least one Aladdin, if only to help keep off SAD in the winter. They add a fair bit of heat to the room, too.

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Was a time in our history when the rich had oil lamps & the poor had candles. The oil lamps do require daily mantenance of cleaning the inside of the glass stack.

·
Registered
751 Posts
The Aladdins burn very cleanly, as long as you're using their brand of lamp oil, or an equivalent; if you fuel them up with ordinary kerosene or diesel fuel, they require more wick trimming and chimney cleaning. The Aladdin fuel is also fairly odorless, where the kerosene smells like kerosene. I have a couple of them for use during hurricane season, and I stocked up on spare mantels and fuel the last time I was at the Mast General Store up in NC.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I collect the original Aladdin lamps with the iradiated glass fonts and the B-Burners. Have about a dozen or so. On high, they are the equivelent of a 50 watt bulb and put out 30 btu of heat. A must have imo,in case of no power. Good tip on the crisco though.

·
Registered
751 Posts
One tip to make them burn even brighter is to stack another chimney on top to increase the draft. It can even be a cracked or chipped chimney, which is not uncommon to have due to the thin glass used.

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I collect the original Aladdin lamps with the iradiated glass fonts and the B-Burners. Have about a dozen or so. On high, they are the equivelent of a 50 watt bulb and put out 30 btu of heat. A must have imo,in case of no power. Good tip on the crisco though.
I know a youngish woman in the city who has an impressive collection of the antique versions, with the glass shades and all. Never really understood where the heck she was finding them and she ain't volunteering much info other than there's a club. Anyway, I choose to remain with the simple modern shelf lamps, which are expensive enough in themselves.

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One tip to make them burn even brighter is to stack another chimney on top to increase the draft. It can even be a cracked or chipped chimney, which is not uncommon to have due to the thin glass used.
Lehman's is selling modified chimneys that require a special adaptor base and which are supposed to be less susceptible to cracking, which L's says is due to overtightening at the base. It would be nice to know if that pays off, altho I have a pretty good supply of spares laid in and I've had good luck with them in general.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Lehman's is selling modified chimneys that require a special adaptor base and which are supposed to be less susceptible to cracking, which L's says is due to overtightening at the base. It would be nice to know if that pays off, altho I have a pretty good supply of spares laid in and I've had good luck with them in general.
I'll have to check that out. One little turn too many and the regular chimney and they crack immediately.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I grew up with the these lamps and we used kerosene all the time in them. Work great and very bright.

I am trying to get up several pressurized kerosene lamps. They are bright and they can be used outside as well.

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Do not fill those kerosene lamps more then half full. When they heat up you will have kerosene leaking if you do.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts