M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys let me have my say here before you go after me.

AK-47's are nice but they just didn't trip my trigger (okay except for the preban underfolder I got to shoot in Missouri one year - first time I had ever fired a semi-automatic rifle in my life). And before you say well you should own one (AK-47 that is) before you say anything...let me state I did.

Hungarian SA2000. Nice rifle, admittedly only 10 round mags but nice all the same. Hated it, and I mean hated it. So much so that I gave it away (it cost him shipping) to a gentleman in -- oh dang somewhere back east/south or something.

Now, if we're talking AK's that are sweet - give me an AK-74 and I'll make it talk - and I mean it'll hit where you aim at and function 110% of the time.

I admit it isn't as pretty wood wise as the AK-47 was (but heck I've yet to even take it apart to clean it let alone detail it).

This makes any AK-47 I've shot seem like well I'm not going to use bad words.

Don't get me wrong I'm assuming some are nice but I haven't found any post-bans that were decent.

So for the money I'd got with a SAR-2 or SAR-3. You definitely get the most bang for your buck.

Flames and attacks are welcome :lol:

·
Registered
141 Posts
that hungarian deal is fugly, but the other one is beautiful. I agree with you on that. However, a friend of mine has a very nice 47 with great wood. I dont know where it was made, but he says it shoots great.

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
I bet that AK you had was a stamped receiver. I've shot a variety of stamped receiver AK-47s & not as good as a milled one. That's why I wouldn't consider letting my underfold Norinco go except for maybe a 14.

I think its the same with the sks rifles. Get a Russian milled receiver sks & outperforms the stamped ones.

HH

·
Registered
4 Posts
I like mine

Hey, I'm new here but I noticed the forum for AK guys.....THATS ME!

Anyway I picked up this Bulgarian version a few years back I LOVE IT!! I keep it in pretty good shape unlike the way I would with a russian made one.

I know I know it's a post ban but its a nice post ban. It's actually called an SLR-95 but when I tell people I own an SLR-95 all they give me is that deer in the headlights look. So I say AK-47 and they go, Oh yeah, those are cool.

Anyway, she shoots awesome and if the war started today it's what I would be carrying.
:p

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Nice lookin' Ak there sir and the black furniture sets it off nicely.

Only one I have left at this time is a Polytech Preban (stamped). I wish it was the Legend but it gets the job done ... :wink:

"Welcome Aboard" and stop by often. Theres always room for more here by the campfire.

Six

·
Rest in peace
1,399 Posts
Tlynn, you're a bolt gun girl. Accuracy from an AK is more minute of tractor tire than minute of angle. Look at who was supposed to use them, and you'll soon see why pinpoint accuracy wasn't required.

I own an original WUM-1 Romanian. The first ones, with the laminated stock that looks like somebody shrank an SVD stock. It has the nicest trigger I've ever found on that type of weapon. Also have an NHM-91, and an Egyptian Maadi. Looking at a Polytech pre-ban, pistol grip stock, muzzlebreak threaded on, and bayonet lug. Might just have to "inquire" about the price. Older man, in his eighties, just diagnosed with Alzheimers is letting his collection go. I don't think he ever fired it. There isn't even the line all AK rifles leave when moving the selector lever. I'll give it a good home. :D

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JR said:
Tlynn, you're a bolt gun girl. Accuracy from an AK is more minute of tractor tire than minute of angle. Look at who was supposed to use them, and you'll soon see why pinpoint accuracy wasn't required.

I own an original WUM-1 Romanian. The first ones, with the laminated stock that looks like somebody shrank an SVD stock. It has the nicest trigger I've ever found on that type of weapon. Also have an NHM-91, and an Egyptian Maadi. Looking at a Polytech pre-ban, pistol grip stock, muzzlebreak threaded on, and bayonet lug. Might just have to "inquire" about the price. Older man, in his eighties, just diagnosed with Alzheimers is letting his collection go. I don't think he ever fired it. There isn't even the line all AK rifles leave when moving the selector lever. I'll give it a good home. :D
Heck yeah I'd go for the Polytech as well and sure don't blame you for that.

But your right I'm a bolt action rifle type of gal. So much so that I just got a new mauser today (well new to me). I may not sporterize rifles but I don't say no when a lovely one comes my way - and it's lovely.

·
Rest in peace
1,399 Posts
There's absolutely no reason to sporterize a rifle unless you want to. I have several Milsurp bolt weapons of my own. I also collect AK variants, and SKS variants, as well as the occasional SVD. I make it a point to use the weapons as they were meant to be used. Pin-point accuracy isn't the reason for an AK, so I don't expect it to shoot MOA.

Admit it, even a precision buff likes to just rip off thirty at least once in a while! :lol:

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes JR once in awhile I like shooting my semi's.

I just hate taking them apart and cleaning them. :lol:

·
Registered
615 Posts
Six a German mauser - all matching made in the 30's.

http://pic5.picturetrail.com/VOL92/795862/1446782/32168632.jpg
http://www.photobucket.com/albums/0603/GulfBreeze/07fcd58b.jpg
http://pic5.picturetrail.com/VOL92/795862/1446782/32168622.jpg
Now if I could just go and shoot him *sigh*

Well worth the Yugo 24/47 I traded for it in my humble opinion. While I'm extremely sorry somebody took an original all matching Model 98 and sporterized it they did a gorgeous job (the pictures do not do it justice).

I truly can not wait till my feet heal enough to go shooting (maybe next month on my birthday).

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
WOW! 8O

That is one "clean lookin' Mauser ... I like it! :wink:

Six

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Six.

Would you believe I walked home (okay I can't walk really yet) with a real Enfield Jungle Carbine today?

I now want to go shoot both and then of course the Enfield will get torn down and spruced up a bit. :D

·
"Staff Alumni"
2,653 Posts
The SA 2000 I thought is a Chech made AK that is now available in Kit form. Ohio Ordinance is building them. T It is hard to believe you didnt like the Hungarian AK. All the ones i have seen and shot are top shelf beautifull blond furniture and milled recievers, and are quite spendy these days. All the AKs you see with the orange looking mags are AK74s. They are pretty cool but then it turns the AK more into a mouse gun. Pretty much the same caliber as the AR. The AK 74 round is 5.45 x39 and the AR is 5.56 x 45

·
Registered
485 Posts
JR, do you recall that project rifle I was talking about a while back across the street? Except for just a couple of add-ons, taper of the barrel, difference in chambering, and stock finish, T just got it. (I was talking about putting an 03A3 rear sight and M14 front sight and flash hider on mine, but the sights on T's is close enough to suit me.)

T, like I'm saying, I like the look of your rifle.

You're saying you can't walk right now. What's going on?

I got my hands on an AK a couple of times. Once was when I was a teenager- the rifle fealt big and heavy and awkward. The last time was last year and it was a Romanian with a stamped receiver and I wasn't impressed enough to buy it. I recall one time at the range last year, there was a guy there- he'd had a gunsmith epoxy a muzzle brake on there and about halfway through his 4th mag rapid fire, the muzzle brake flew about 40' downrange. I couldn't tell if he was hitting his 100yd man target. Like JR said, minute of tractor tire. Give me a K98k, Model 70, M1, or Winchester .30-30 any day.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
mustanger - when you get your rifle done - do take pics and post them. Sounds pretty neat.

As to why I couldn't walk - I had just had surgery on both feet (removing ingrown toenails and a problem spot - now a slowly shrinking hole on the bottom of one foot). Kinda of made it hard to walk without wincing - ah heck the one foot still is a bit hard but it's getting better day by day.

Steve - I guess I was spoiled. The very first AK I ever shot was a preban underfolder - I fell in total love (too bad I can't afford it). The Hungarian SA2000 while nice wouldn't work half the time. And yes I cleaned the gas port and everything and I had like 11 different mags for it and it just wouldn't work.

The SAR-2 shoots everytime, no matter what. Besides I needed a small caliber rifle my mom could shoot as well besides the little .22lr I got her. Unfortunately she got to shoot a Howe .223 and now I need to save up for one of those - sigh...

·
Registered
485 Posts
When I get it together I'll be sure and post 'em, soon as I can figure how to get 'em scanned. I gotta find a barreled action to suit me first though. I'm thinking of either a K98k or a Model 70 Winchester. It could be a 8mm or a .308 either one. I'm thinking of a plain slick dark walnut stock with a straight comb which is not unlike what already comes on a M70, but I was thinking of the round forend instead of the schnabel deal on the Classic Compact. The problem with the Model 70 is I'll have to take a file to a peice of steel to make a clip guide.

Hope your feet get a lot better real soon. I recall in another post you said you're a secretary and you hate dressing up? Them high heels'll get you.

What's a Howe? Don't you ever wish your Mom could've shot a good Mini-14? :) They can still be had for under $400 depending on where you find 'em.

·
Rest in peace
1,399 Posts
There was a company called Griffin & Howe that built high-end bolt guns. There is also a currently imported, quality, bolt rifle sold here called a Howa. T probably is talking about one of these. :D

·
Registered
485 Posts
Good possibility, JR. I'll have to look into the Griffin and Howe; I'll run a search. I've heard of the Howa across the street. How do prices compare with the M77 short action in .233?

·
Registered
608 Posts
JR said:
...as well as the occasional SVD.
JR, I didn’t know there were enough to warrant occasional

Speaking of AKs and minute of tractor. A couple of weeks ago I picked up a Hungarian SA 85M, weapon looked NIB, didn’t come with a box though.

http://www.photobucket.com/albums/0603/JTR8541/AKs/96f565ab.gif
Took the noob to the and it was shooting about two and a half to three feet left and about a foot high at 100 yards. Took it out a second time with some tool to adjust the front sight and wound up having to push it all the way to the left to get it on target.

http://www.photobucket.com/albums/0603/JTR8541/AKs/6b37567c.gif
The front sight looks goofy but the rifle hits where I aim and it’s down under MOT, I can get about a six-inch group at 100-yards using Wolf FMJ ammo.

I picked up a Bulgarian SLR-100H about a year or so ago and it is completely opposite. From the get go it has been right on and about two inches at 100-yards. Excellent rifle.

Best regards, T

1 - 20 of 42 Posts