M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I have heard a million different opinions on the matter, but all I want to know is if Windex will work to clean the bore after shooting corrosive ammo, I shoot it through my Mosin, and my Mauser. I know the the hot water works and all that, but if the windex works just fine, please tell me so, because it is really easy and fast to clean it. Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have done this with a few of my AK's and yes it works. However, my process is to do this at the range and then do a quick clean back home with either M Pro or EWL Slip 2000 on the bore. Every now and then with Hoppes on the gas piston.
I like to stay up on the maintenance but don't spend the time on cleaning like I do on my M1A.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Windex is mostly water so it will work....

HOT water is better because it flushes the salts then evaporates quickly leaving no water hiding in corners to start rusting.

Moot point as LONG as you FLUSH the salts with a "water" solution THEN clean with normal solvents...and oil when done...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just spray windex down my mosin barrel and mauser barrel, no worries about rust, and I just clean the bolt with windex and dry it off after, oil then done. I decided not to use corrosive ammo in my ak, i want to never have to worry about cleaning it that well :)

·
Registered
407 Posts
It's not that hard...pull the hanguards off...pour hot water down the gas block and bore then clean normally....put handguards back on....takes about 10min to completely clean an AK after corrosive ammo....

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
cleaning after corrosive ammo= hot water, hot water, hot water. spend money on windex if you want, but its the water that disolves the corrosive salts. the amount of ammonia in windex is so little as to be virtually worthless in cleaning copper fouling.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I don't use any water or windex or anything else. I only use Hoppes #9. I've been using it for years on corrosive ammo in bolt guns & Ak's with no rusting issues at all. I clean all my weapons the same whether I've fired corrosive ammo or non-corrosive. Never had any issues.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I don't use any water or windex or anything else. I only use Hoppes #9. I've been using it for years on corrosive ammo in bolt guns & Ak's with no rusting issues at all. I clean all my weapons the same whether I've fired corrosive ammo or non-corrosive. Never had any issues.
+1

It doesn't matter what you use. The point is that it has to be clean. You can use whatever you think will "dissolve" the salts, but until they're no longer in the bore, they're still a threat (you have to scrub them out and there are a lot of products that are better at removing the carbon build-up that's holding them in, than water, which will only dissolve what's on the surface). I clean with Hoppe's and follow with a light coat of CLP. No problems, as long as it's clean when I put it away. The majority of the ammo that I shoot is corrosive and I don't have corrosion issues.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Well Windex with Ammonia D does not have any Ammonia. It is their brand name for alcohol.

Here is the MSD sheet for it.

Material Safety Data Sheet
according to ANSI Z400.1- 2004 and 29 CFR 1910.1200
WINDEX® AMMONIA-D®
Version 1. Print Date 01/06/2009
Revision Date 12/08/2008 MSDS Number 350000004304

1/7
1. PRODUCT AND COMPANY IDENTIFICATION
Product information
Trade name : WINDEX® AMMONIA-D®
Use of the
Substance/Preparation
: Speciality Cleaner
Company : S.C. Johnson and Son, Limited
1 Webster Street
Brantford ON N3T 5R1
Emergency telephone : 24 Hour Transport & Medical Emergency Phone (866) 231-
24 Hour International Emergency Phone (952) 852-4647
24 Hour Canadian Transport Emergency Phone (CANUTEC)
(613) 996-6666

2. HAZARDS IDENTIFICATION
Emergency Overview
Appearance / Odor : blue / liquid / pleasant
Immediate Concerns : Avoid contact with skin, eyes and clothing.
Potential Health Effects
Routes of exposure : Eye, Skin, Inhalation, Ingestion.
Eyes : None known.
Skin : None known.
Inhalation : None known.
Ingestion : None known.
Aggravated Medical
Condition
: None known.

3. COMPOSITION/INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS
Chemical Name CAS-No. Weight %
Water 7732-18-5 90.00 - 100.00
Isopropanol 67-63-0 1.00 - 5.00
Ethyleneglycol
Monohexylether
112-25-4 0.10 - 1.00
4. FIRST AID MEASURES

·
Registered
600 Posts
i have tried the hot water and immediate got rust on one of my mausers, i think they call it a hot flash or something, anyways cleaned it with a mixture of water windex and ammonia and i would take the rifle end of the rifle and stick it into a bucket with a few paper towels down there, fill the barrel up with this solution and then grab a 30cal brush and slowly scrub from end to end, did the scrubbing part 20 or so times, then i would let it sit some more, then lift the rifle out and let the fluid out, then i would rinse with some water and windex mixture, and then run patches through it till it was dry and clean, then i would take some copper bore solvent and scrub some more.

Then i would run some more windex, ammonia, water mix again.

I would dilute the water this way.

1/4 container of amonia, to 1/2 cup of windex, which was all added up to about 1/4 cup of water.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Read the above MSD sheet on Windex with Ammonia D. Ammonia D is nothing but a trade name for the alcohol in it. NO AMMONIA !

3. COMPOSITION/INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS
Chemical Name CAS-No. Weight %
Water 7732-18-5 90.00 - 100.00
Isopropanol 67-63-0 1.00 - 5.00
Ethyleneglycol
Monohexylether

·
Registered
544 Posts
I been using only the orginal G.I. Rifle bore cleaner in all my surplups with corrosive ammo and in 30 years+ haven't lost a barrel yet.

I also made a mistake by not cleaning my barrel for 6 months after shooting it with corrosive ammo. Nothing happened to it so that tells me its how much moisture is in the area where we store our guns matters too and how wet the weather is in your area matters too. Corrosive doen't just happen by itself it needs moisture too and lots of it.
Bill

When i learned about the corosive ammo/salts i thought i would see a dump truck load of salt come out of the bore when i first cleaned it. Then i realized as a kid the corrosives/salts is in the primer so there really isn't that much in the bore. I think its a combination of time and how many rounds of corrosive ammo we actually shoot plus how we clean it that matters.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Wanna know what I do? And this has worked for me so far with zero issues-

Take the rifle home.

Put a pot of water on the stove, and bring it to BOILING

Disassemble kalashnikov pattern rifle

Drop parts into pot

Pour water down barrel and gas block

Lay out parts on towel and hand dry while still hot (the rest will evaporate)

When cool, spray down with lubricant/CLP of your choice.

Punch barrel with a few patches of clp.

Reassemble.

No rust, no issues yet. This is my SOP for these weapons with all MILSERP M43/N76 ammunition.

Blast away :D

K.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have been using glass cleaner after shooting corrosive ammunition through various guns (including my AK's), and I do not have any issues with rust. Of course, it is a bit time consuming on an AK, as one has to field strip the weapon and get the glass cleaner into every nook and cranny, but again, it works for me. After using the glass cleaner, I use Birchwood and Casey Bore Scrubber to clean the bore and I use Break Free CLP to clean the internal parts of the gun. I also leave a thin coating of Break Free CLP on all of the internal parts and in the bore just to be safe.

Of all the 7.62X39mm ammunition I have fired, I think the Yugoslavian M67 surplus is the best, so I do a fair deal of cleaning AK's after using corrosive ammunition.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.