M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
Let's face it. Buying an AK is troublesome.
Should I get this one, should I get that one, are the few I am looking at worth a darn?

Now, think of it like this...
Do you want one that will not give you trouble down the line? Yes. Of course you do.
I'm not saying that one manufacturer won't have more problems than another...I'm simply saying that there are good manufacturers of The AK and their are those manufacturers that try to provide a "value" for the weekend shooter who just want's and AK.

Buying an AK is not like buying an M14. It's not even like buying an AR.
It is it's own deal....what is it with the word Deal anyway....and why do we use the word that way. lol

Century Arms makes a decent AK.
Will you have problems with it? maybe.
Will the front sights be canted? Maybe, maybe not.
Is the bolt going to deform after 2-5000 rounds? Some do, some don't.
Are the rivits in the trunnion going to work out? Depends on who put it together.

Older wasr's...junk. New wasr's...decent

If you do buy an AK, please look at it first. I would not order off the interwebs.
Pay attn. to front post cant and rear sight cant.

Arsenal now offers a new entry model. It's the fixed stock 107slr. A wonderful deal.
They make a great AK. Bulgarian receivers...Kalashnikov himself said the Bulgarians make the best AK's. Chrome lined barrel.
The only bad rep Arsenal has is the paint they use on the rifle. It bubbles when it gets really hot.
Now, could you get a bad Arsenal?...yes...but it's more rare and not as often as an AK from Century Arms.
How will you use it?

A great place to watch videos on which AK's are good and which are bad...
AK Operators Union
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-nZ9dKQroaCr2MuAXeqyg
Click on videos...scroll till you find the AK you want to know about.

The Shooter knows what he is talking about.

Remember, it's your money.
Other's will post what they think is the best AK. I just like Norinco prebans, mak90's and Arsenal. I own a 104SLR, 107SLR, and a SAM7SF. My favorite is the 107SLR. I have had Norinco's and Mak90's...got rid of em during the craze 5 years ago.
Do as much research as you can. If I were to buy an AK right now...I would get the Fixed stock Arsenal 107. I think it's like 850.00msrp. so, cheaper on the street.

Dutch

G

·
I have an older preban Norinco type 56s AK47, imported by Sile N.Y. before they came in by the boatloads, sights are dead on, and I can keep them in the black on a standard NRA 100 yard target with crappy steel cased ammo from Herter's, Tula or Wolf.

Wouldn't sell or trade it for anything...

·
Registered
658 Posts
I'd honestly stay away from the RAS47.

If you want to dip your toe into the AK world, but don't want to commit a lot of a cash to the experiment, then I'd start with a WASR10. They're decent, solidly built, AKM pattern guns that will allow you upgrade as you go. At the moment, you can pick one up for less than $700 from Atlantic Firearms

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/com...-wasr-10-7-62x39mm-rifle-detail.html?Itemid=0

·
Forum Jester
8,444 Posts
buy a galil ace

·
Registered
547 Posts
Let's face it. Buying an AK is troublesome.
Should I get this one, should I get that one, are the few I am looking at worth a darn?

Now, think of it like this...
Do you want one that will not give you trouble down the line? Yes. Of course you do.
I'm not saying that one manufacturer won't have more problems than another...I'm simply saying that there are good manufacturers of The AK and their are those manufacturers that try to provide a "value" for the weekend shooter who just want's and AK.

Buying an AK is not like buying an M14. It's not even like buying an AR.
It is it's own deal....what is it with the word Deal anyway....and why do we use the word that way. lol

Century Arms makes a decent AK.
Will you have problems with it? maybe.
Will the front sights be canted? Maybe, maybe not.
Is the bolt going to deform after 2-5000 rounds? Some do, some don't.
Are the rivits in the trunnion going to work out? Depends on who put it together.

Older wasr's...junk. New wasr's...decent

If you do buy an AK, please look at it first. I would not order off the interwebs.
Pay attn. to front post cant and rear sight cant.

Arsenal now offers a new entry model. It's the fixed stock 107slr. A wonderful deal.
They make a great AK. Bulgarian receivers...Kalashnikov himself said the Bulgarians make the best AK's. Chrome lined barrel.
The only bad rep Arsenal has is the paint they use on the rifle. It bubbles when it gets really hot.
Now, could you get a bad Arsenal?...yes...but it's more rare and not as often as an AK from Century Arms.
How will you use it?

A great place to watch videos on which AK's are good and which are bad...
AK Operators Union
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-nZ9dKQroaCr2MuAXeqyg
Click on videos...scroll till you find the AK you want to know about.

The Shooter knows what he is talking about.

Remember, it's your money.
Other's will post what they think is the best AK. I just like Norinco prebans, mak90's and Arsenal. I own a 104SLR, 107SLR, and a SAM7SF. My favorite is the 107SLR. I have had Norinco's and Mak90's...got rid of em during the craze 5 years ago.
Do as much research as you can. If I were to buy an AK right now...I would get the Fixed stock Arsenal 107. I think it's like 850.00msrp. so, cheaper on the street.

Dutch
Follow the AK Operator's Union. Rob is my go to channel for AK related content. Dutchman has good tastes in AKs.

·
Registered
23 Posts
As others have said, AK Operators Union is one of the go-to sources of info on AK's.

The Century RAS47 has a VERY poor reputation and many say they are downright dangerous. The Century C39v2 has a better reputation but is still not a rifle that serious AK shooters consider. Both seem to be geared towards the uninformed American consumer and are Century's attempt to cash in on the huge demand for AKM style guns.

Watch the AK Operator's Union video series on stress-testing the RAS47. The final verdict was that head spacing was NO GO and the rifle could potentially blow up in your face.

Be wary as you research the RAS47 - there is a HUGE amount of internet drama surrounding this rifle. The people who own them are considered by some to be "fanboys in denial" and the people who don't own them are considered by some to be "parrots" just repeating internet hype. Rob Ski from the AK Ops site is one of the few people out there actually testing and documenting.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Century MAKES the Ras47 and C39 rifles, but they IMPORT the WASR rifles. WASRs are built in Romania and modified by Century to meet import restrictions.

I have an old Norinco pre-ban AK that I purchased new in 1989, and a brand new WASR 10 that I purchased new this year. Love them both. The new WASR's are nice and affordable. If you're buying an AK out of curiosity and it will be a range gun / plinker, get the WASR and learn about the platform. If it captivates you, then go get yourself an Arsenal / Saiga / VEPR high end gun.

·
Registered
9,745 Posts
I've bought from Century , once.

[/URL][/IMG]

Whatever Century assembles I'd leave alone,
as has been mentioned Century does import complete rifles ,
these complete rifles they import are certainly worthy of a look.
I had no problem with the quality of their parts, just the quality of craftsmanship on their assembly line.
I could do better blindfolded , wearing mittens .

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I call it like I see it. Check out the AK operator unions youtube page. none of those century arm or any US made AK's have made it to 5000 rounds with out having some sort of issue. Combloc AK's all they way.
I agree. A generally good thumb rule to follow (especially if you're just getting into the platform) is to stick with factory built guns. They were built by people who do that all day every day with factory tooling instead of being parts kits pieced back together, so your far more likely to get something that was built right. (but let's not talk about vodka special S12s!)

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.