M14 Forum banner

AK-47 Upper Hand Guard

2865 Views 4 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  33-805
I am getting ready to send the wood (stock, upper and lower hand guard) and pistol grip off my AK to Whamo Camo to be camo'd, however I noticed when stripping the original finish from the wood, the upper handguard covering the gas tube is cracked. I'd like to remove it without breaking it, but can't figure out how to with each side held by the metal pieces. Do those metal pieces come off? It looks like they have been punched to the gas tube. If I get a new wood upper hand guard, how do I go about putting a new gas tube and metal end pieces back on???

Can you buy an upper handguard with the gas tube already installed from anyone?

Has anyone ever dealt with the Ironwood Designs folks who sell complete walnut stock sets?

Look forward to your replies, thanks for looking,--------Scott Lyons
1 - 1 of 5 Posts
The wood can be removed. Spray the forward band with a lubricant like WD40 & with a drift punch drift it forawrd . It should be able to go forward atleast an inch. Once that is done the wood is easily removed.
1 - 1 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.