M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

After a year of "thinking upon it", I've decided to go for an AK-47, a must in the collection. From what I can tell, all authentic Russian-made/Norinco's are very hard to find and go for a hefty price (the pre-bans). I really would prefer not to buy a WASR GP model, but considering how the authentic Russian models are almost two-fold the price, I may end up getting one.

So heres my question: Is there a source of authentic, possibly surplus, Russian-made, AK-47's/AKM's/AKMS's for decent prices? I've weeded through so much riff-raff on the internet with no clear answer. I just want a real, wood-stocked AK-47 DIEVIL

Thanks so much!

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Now, there is a difference between an AK & an AKM. Original AKs were milled receivers. AKM is riveted panels for the receiver. Probably the closest you can look for toward an original is an 80s Norinco or Polytech Legend.

HH

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
WASR-10s are good. IMHO you wont really benifit from buying a russian made AK vs many of the others. Just make sure you get a quality chrome-lined barrel and youre pretty much good to go. Stamped or milled, who cares. The whole kalashnikov system flexes and whips like crazy no matter what. A good CL is all you need. I have a WASR and a NDS-2. Both are good- except for i burned the barrel out on my non-CL NDS-2.

I shoot the crap out of both, short drills, bump fire- all of it.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
The closest thing you'll find will be a preban Chinese Legend AK-47 which has a milled receiver. The later models have stamped metal receivers and are called AKM's. The original AK-47 had a forged and milled receiver. You will likely pay a hefty premium for one but they're the best of the best.

Check out the links for more details...

http://stores.polytechparts.com/-strse-template/productintel/Page.bok

http://www.firearmstrainingandtactics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=690

http://www.hk94.com/hk/topic/24906-polytech-legend-ak47s/

7th

·
Registered
999 Posts
Get a wasr, they are cheap and you can cut your teeth on it.

With the compliance parts and us barrel you do not have much east block left.

The milled rcvrs such as the poly legend (have 2) bring 3 times the price of the romanian. They are cheap and made to be disposable.

You can play while looking for what you realy like and trade or add to collection.

Reactions: Whatsinaname181

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So what would guys overall suggest, in terms of "most authenticity" (I know, not much, but you know what I mean)

Polytech AK-47S or WASR GP 10/63

Again, I am no expert on these firearms and can use all the info I can get.

·
Registered
999 Posts
A preban poly or norinco will be the most accurate representation.

·
Registered
130 Posts
If your looking for a real Russian AK then Saiga is what you want. Made at the Izhevsk factory alongside the military AK's.
They are plentiful in the U.S. & you have your choice of a few different calibers. 7.62x39, 5.45x39 , 5.56x45, 7.62x51 (308) or 12 gauge or .410 shotgun.
Arsenal inc sells them & is the importer of these or you can find them on gunbroker. They run around $700 +.
As much as I love the Chinese AK's ( I have several) the Russian Saiga's or Bulgarian AK's are superbly built rifles.
Wasrs, well, they work most of the time if you can find one without issues but why by a bottom of the barrel AK just to find out you could have had a much better one for a little more money.
For authenticity ( as close as you can get) A Polytech legend is what you want. $ 2000.00 minimum.

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
mine is an Arsenal SGL20. they are built on SAIGA receivers and are very solid quality. i was able to get mine before they jumped $200-300 in price a couple of years ago. i traded out the plastic furniture for a wood set and added a red dot(not shown). i love this gun, but im not sure i would do it over again with today's prices.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
mine is an Arsenal SGL20. they are built on SAIGA receivers and are very solid quality. i was able to get mine before they jumped $200-300 in price a couple of years ago. i traded out the plastic furniture for a wood set and added a red dot(not shown). i love this gun, but im not sure i would do it over again with today's prices.

Charlene- VERY COOL. you ever wanna sell that peice... call me bro GI2

·
Registered
839 Posts
If you cant find a PreBan Norinco get an Arsenal, they are great AKs

I wish Id kept my Pre Ban Norinco, it was beutiful

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.