M14 Forum banner

Aircraft carrier USS Kitty Hawk departs Bremerton for Texas dismantling

1312 15
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
Scout Squad AA9126
1,485 Posts
It's sad to see our history being dismantled and thrown away. I worked very hard trying to keep the USS Saratoga (CV-60) near her only home port (Mayport) after she was decommissioned back in '94. Matching funds were promised to the S.O.S. (Save Our Sara) Foundation by local city government, but the politicians eventually fell under the spell of the NFL and reneged on the deal reallocating the funds to football, and we ended up with the worst team in the NFL instead of the last Forrestal class carrier- a real shame seeing as how the history of Naval aviation in Jacksonville (birthplace of the Blue Angels) was planned to be displayed on her flight deck.

It's a sin, really. Absolutely shameful.

· Registered
2,952 Posts
Hello, That is a shame.
Heck, I remember as a kid.
When, the Kitty Hawk would come into port at Subic Bay the base would be on high alert because of the race riots. It got pretty intense at times with the Shore Patrol all deck out in their riot gear. My parents would tell us 4 boys to stay away from the rec. halls, gyms and the phone & music exchanges. Yet, we where safe living a block from the UDT barracks...
The Kitty Hawk, Saratoga, Coral Sea, Hancock, Ranger, Oriskany, Midway and Enterprise would all come into Subic Bay. Some, for repairs at SRF, refueling and supplies restocking. And, of course, R&R for the crew members...

We lived right down the street from the docks, across the street from the O'Club and BOQ. I could see all the ships coming into the bay, rounding Grandy Island. We lived there from 72 to 75. At first, off base 1/2 between Olongapo and Subic City(WhiteRock Beach)... Then, on base down next to the beach in Officers family quarters. My father was a GS-15 by then(sorta officers ranking), and connected with NASU at that time.
Never, a dull moment at Subic Bay as a kid... What a childhood.

· Registered
744 Posts
I sure could use some of the iron from the flight deck to build a fence. Shipping and delivery might be a PITA though.

I'll have to get a newer welding machine to make that many passes. Those decks should be around 3" thick; no?

Jarhead

· Registered
6,360 Posts
I sure could use some of the iron from the flight deck to build a fence. Shipping and delivery might be a PITA though.

I'll have to get a newer welding machine to make that many passes. Those decks should be around 3" thick; no?

Jarhead
1-1/2 thick STS (Special Treatment Steel - It's very good as a structural steel and reasonably good as armor plate.)

· Registered
1,568 Posts
It's sad to see our history being dismantled and thrown away. I worked very hard trying to keep the USS Saratoga (CV-60) near her only home port (Mayport) after she was decommissioned back in '94. Matching funds were promised to the S.O.S. (Save Our Sara) Foundation by local city government, but the politicians eventually fell under the spell of the NFL and reneged on the deal reallocating the funds to football, and we ended up with the worst team in the NFL instead of the last Forrestal class carrier- a real shame seeing as how the history of Naval aviation in Jacksonville (birthplace of the Blue Angels) was planned to be displayed on her flight deck.

It's a sin, really. Absolutely shameful.
Sara wasn't the last Forrestal carrier. Both Ranger (ex-CV61) and Independence (ex-CV62) were sold to the scrappers long after Sara's final keel plates were being lifted out of the water. The Forrestals would have made excellent museum ships (all had been through SLEP) but for one fact: they were all pillaged of useable parts to keep both Kitty Hawk and JFK at sea until they were finally decomm'd

· Registered
Scout Squad AA9126
1,485 Posts
Sara wasn't the last Forrestal carrier. Both Ranger (ex-CV61) and Independence (ex-CV62) were sold to the scrappers long after Sara's final keel plates were being lifted out of the water. The Forrestals would have made excellent museum ships (all had been through SLEP) but for one fact: they were all pillaged of useable parts to keep both Kitty Hawk and JFK at sea until they were finally decomm'd
Correct. What I meant was if we had kept our Sara at home where she belongs- she'd be the last Forrestal-class carrier still alive. But now, tragically, they're all gone.

Our consolation prize is the destroyer USS Orleck which arrives tomorrow to become the centerpiece of the Jacksonville Naval Museum...

Sky Cloud Watercraft Boat Water

Water Boat Building Sky Water resources

· Registered
5,860 Posts
Here in Texas we have kept the USS Texas, a WWI Battleship out of the scrap yard.

108 years old.

Served in both WWI and WWII.

She's been docked on the Houston Ship Channel since 1948.

Been on board several times, even got to spend the night on her with my nephew's Boy Scout Troop.

She has some hull problems and is being moved to the shipyard for repairs.

Once repaired she won't be returned to the berth on the Ship Channel, she'll be moved to one of three cities here in Texas that are competing for her.

Navy photographs.

· Registered
1,568 Posts
Correct. What I meant was if we had kept our Sara at home where she belongs- she'd be the last Forrestal-class carrier still alive. But now, tragically, they're all gone.

Our consolation prize is the destroyer USS Orleck which arrives tomorrow to become the centerpiece of the Jacksonville Naval Museum...

View attachment 475682
View attachment 475683
Forrestal would have been a good choice as well. She and Sara were both stationed at Naval Station Mayport (I was on both numerous times while my youngest uncle was Chief Bos'un's Mate {Sara} and Ship's Bos'un {Forrestal}) the majority of their service lives. IMO, the Navy screwed the pooch by NOT letting Forrestal complete her service life as a training carrier to replace Lexington. It would have saved the Navy millions of dollars over time by not requiring a carrier outbound for deployment to make a detour to the Texas Gulf Coast so "nuggets" could earn their carrier qualification.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.