M14 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my setup is a aimpoint comp c3 and the standard m14 ultimak rail. does anyone know how much weight this is going to add to my rifle? it looks light but weight seems to add up fast when it comes to rifles.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Weight of the ultimak is 12.4 oz
Weight of comp c aimpoint is 7.1 oz or 7.8 for the ml
Weight for a mount is usally between 2-3 oz

Min weight 21.5 oz
max weight 23.2 oz

·
Registered
1,541 Posts

JEEPGUY,
THE RAIL IS RELATIVELY LIGHT WEIGHT. IT DOES GIVE YOUR RIFLE A BIT OF HEFT THOUGH, COMPARED TO THE STANDARD PLASTIC HANDGUARD. THE ULTIMAK IS GREAT BECAUSE WHEN I HAVE IT ON MY GI WALNUT STOCK THE GUN STILL RETAINS IT'S CLASSIC LOOK. NOT AN OVERLY FANCY RAIL. IT ALMOST LOOKS AS IF THE GUN SHOULD HAVE BEEN ISSUED WITH THAT RAIL FROM THE BEGINNING.

I SIGHTED MY AIMPOINT IN TO SHOOT DEAD ON AT 100YDS BECAUSE THAT IS AS FAR AS I LIKE TO USE IT. IT CAN BE USED TO HIT OUT MUCH FURTHER, BUT WHY? IT IS NOT A SCOPE AND IF I HAVE TO HIT 200YDS + THEN I FIND IT EASIER TO GO TO IRON SIGHTS (CO-WITNESS IS A BIG PLUS W/ THE ULTIMAK!). THE 2MOA DOT IS ONLY A 2MOA IN LOW LIGHT.....WHEN SUNNY YOU HAVE TO CRANK THE BRIGHTNESS AND IT BECOMES MORE LIKE A 3.5 -4 MOA DOT AND SMALL TARGETS PAST 150YDS BECOME COVERED BY THE DOT MAKING IT HARD TO SEE. THAT IS WHY I SET UP MY OPTICS THE SAME AS YOU - SO I CAN USE THE FAST AIMING CAPABILITIES OF THE RED DOT AND ALSO BE ABLE TO TAKE SLOWER SNIPING SHOTS WITH THE IRONS SIGHTS IF NEED BE. I CAN ALSO QUICKLY DIAL MY IRONS TO WHATEVER RANGE I AM SHOOTING.

I MUST SAY THAT THE AIMPOINT ON THE M1A IS REALLY FUN! IN MY OPINION IT DEFIES WHAT THE M14 PLATFORM IS ALL ABOUT BUT THAT IS WHAT MAKES IT SO COOL! I WAS INSPIRED TO PUT AN AIMPOINT ON MY M14 TYPE WHEN I SAW THE BLACKHAWK DOWN MOVIE. THERE IS NOTHING MORE DEADLY THAN A SEMI-AUTOMATIC .308 WITH A 1X MAGNIFICATION RED DOT! TALK ABOUT MASSIVE LEAD SLINGIN' !GI6. I LIKE TO SET UP ABOUT 20 MILK JUGS FILLED WITH WATER..... I SET THEM OUT 50-150YDS AND THEN I SEE HOW FAST I CAN BLAST EM' DOWN.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Jeep guy,

PS

YOU WILL BE IMPRESSED W/ THE QUALITY OF THE ULTIMAK. IT DOESNT REALLY HEAT UP AND I HAVE NEVER LOST ZERO WITH IT.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Site in distance is a personal thing.
Some like 50 yds
Some like 100 yd

Best is to figure out a max range you plan on shooting and figure out the range you need to site in to get that max point setting.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
i find it easier to compensate my aim at closer ranges (i aim a tad lower) and then know the bullet will be dead on at 100yds where i cant see the target as well. the red dot will not be pen point accurate and the .308 is flat shooting....so you will find that whether you sight in at 50, 100 or 200 yds, you will hit your target regardless.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so im looking at almost 1.5lbs, not to bad. i have also bought a uscg muzzle brake for my bush rifle. i think this will be a nice setup, not cheap but nice. i will have to try setting up 10 or so milk jugs and see how fast i can knock em down sounds like a fun challenge. thanks for the help guys.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts