M14 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone use this sighting system on their M1A?? I have been giving the Aimpoit some serious thought - This will be going on a Scout size gun and be used for "three gun matches"....

Thanks for your time and opinions...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Try it first

I love standard Aimpoints (have 2). They are heavy duty, fast and reliable. I feel they missed the boat on their 2X models. The field of view is terrible. I was hyped up to get one for my scout but went with the standard instead. Definately look through one before you buy it.

Cheers
Jaycat

·
Registered
19 Posts
I strongly agree with Jaycat, they surely must have been drinking over at Aimpoint the day they approved the 2x. The field of view is downright horrible and if you put it on a scout type mount it's almost a no-go. Eotech series is much better in that application.
Enjoy

·
Registered
19 Posts
P.S. I actually owned the 2x for a few months...got tired of fighting with the field of view and went Eotech. I've had the M2 also and really like that one mounted close to the eye.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Interesting...

One of our guys has a 2x on the way for T&E. He's excited about it, but I was dubious.

Just sent back a Loopy CQ/T that I had for T&E. That thing sucked! 14mm objective and the fov at 3x was like looking through a drinking straw.

I have a MR/T M2 1.5-5x20 Illum. on the way. I think this'll be the one...

·
Registered
137 Posts
Harley Rider,
There have been similar threads on the Brian Enos forum. (www.brianenos.com)

I went with a Simmons Pro Diamond 1.5-4 power for my heavy metal setup. I'm cheap and Benny Hill uses this scope. He is pretty well known and successful-that's good enough for me.

I haven't even zeroed it yet. Weather and honey-do's have ruined opportunities.

I did get out last night and plink with it. I had an 8" plate set set up in the pasture at ~80 yds. Once I figured out where it was shooting, I was able to hit it offhand fairly regularly. I suspect once zeroed, it will be great.

Good luck,
Dave

·
Registered
403 Posts
Re: let us know

1911_Mitch said:
I'm considering the Aimpoint vs EoTech also.
Please let us know about your conclusions from the Shot Show.
Thanks.
For the Scout I would consider the EoTech...no additional mounts needed:

For the "Bush" or full size...Aimpoint:

Triggerman

·
Registered
35 Posts
Stay away from the 2x aimpoints. If you are thinking about getting an aimpoint I suggest waiting till after the shot show. The M3/ML3 will be released with better battery life and a 2 MOA dot option. Also the 3X unit will be released at the same time.

Pic:

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
;) Guys I am going to move this Thread to Scopes and Accessories, That is where it needs to be :!: :eek:fftopic:

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just got back from the Shot Show and spent two days walking / looking and learning. There are more makers of "Red dot" than you can shake a stick at. I kept my focus on Aim point, Eotech, Bushnell and Millett. All of these will get the job done very well. The Aim Point is nice but Pricy, the Millett is actually very nice - it has 4 dot sizes to switch between and very easy to use. The Eotech and Bushnell are just about the same. The new Bushnell "low profile" was at the show and this is the one I am going to try (won't be out until about March/April. The Retail price is $199. I really like the 65 MOA outer ring with small red dot center - very fast and the Low profile should work nice on the M1A - I went back and forth between the Aim Point booth and the Bushnell booth. I just liked the Low Profile - Granted the Battery life on the Bushnell is shorter (100 hours -AAA) - but the cost of batters is cheap and easy. The Aim Point also looks to be tougher built but at almost double the Cost. The Shot Show was a great place to play with them all. I am starting to shoot "Three gun" and Bushnell is making the same site with a built in Mount for the 870 - having the same sight on booth guns is also a great advantage - same learning curve. These are only my thoughts.

I believe the batteries are AAA - but do not quote me on the battery size.

I also agree with seveal forum members - the 2X power Aim Points are not easy to use. I tried them at the show and did not like the field of view - with both eyes open - it was confusing for my eyes - may be able to get used to???? but Not for me...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.