M14 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I see these "mystery" fiberglass oversize stocks come up for sale from time to time. Look like dead ringers of mcm m1a stocks. Owners never know what manufature they are. Only info I can turn up on makers is mcm, usgi. Anyone have an idea? Thanks and sorry if this has been postedbefore.

·
Registered
Custom service rifle builder
8,108 Posts
Other synthetics

Besides McMillan, Brown Precision produced oversized fiberglass stocks. They are no longer in production.

·
Registered
997 Posts
So I see these "mystery" fiberglass oversize stocks come up for sale from time to time. Look like dead ringers of mcm m1a stocks. Owners never know what manufature they are. Only info I can turn up on makers is mcm, usgi. Anyone have an idea? Thanks and sorry if this has been postedbefore.
I have a stock that fits that description; I picked it up from someone who did not know where it came from. I stripped the paint off and refinished mine. The Stock is Fiberglass construction, and it appears to have 3-layers of fiberglass in the shell. This is a very sturdy stock. I don't think it's a McMillan because it did not appear to have a gel coat, and the interior looked like it was molded with fiberglass cloth in the inletting rather than CNC'd like the McMillan's Iv'e seen. Mine was inletted for a Double-Lugged Receiver and previously bedded. I removed all of the old bedding, resurfaced the top to fit a Sprinfield Loaded model and filled in the rear lug recess.

Mine looks and feels like a Boyd's Type II, but in fiberglass.

Seems to fit the MPI construction description and pictures, but I have never knowingly handled an MPI stock so I am only guessing and comparing pics and info on their website.

Also, It does not seem to fit the Bell & Carlson construction description, but I have not handled one of theirs either.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Have three MPI stocks that are of the heavy McMillan type. First two were very good quality. The last one I received was very poor quality, there was a defect in the back of the receiver area that caused a drooping in the stock. I returned it as defective and MPI cut out the drooping area and replaced it with an insert of new material. When the gunsmith tried to bed it, it cracked.

I returned it and the stock sent as a replacement cracked too. The material used in the receiver area was a very brittle type of plastic. Since I was tired of returning the stock, I just removed the plastic and put in some PC7 epoxy. I will not buy another MPI stock.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
The MPI Stocks I have are of the standard McMillan heavy match type. Do not know about the thumbhole types.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
The MPI Stocks I have are of the standard McMillan heavy match type. Do not know about the thumbhole types. Not sure if MPI made any thumbhole type stocks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts