M14 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some may know from previous post's, I just rec'd my rifle back from SAI. I had an occasional bolt, failure to go to battery. This is a 4 month old (from new) standard M1A that I had put aprox. 1000 rounds through. Sent it back to SAI on their dime.
Got it back yesterday after one month at the SA shop
They re-barreled the weapon with a new receiver as well.
M-25 gas cylinder with band, new gas cyl, lock & plug. New extractor with new spring and plunger. New FP. NM sights. and had them do a trigger tune. Now to head space. According to SAI. my head space measures 1.631. Because I'm old and or dyslexic, this is a bit tight isn't it?
Yeah, I've done the search, but want to know if I'm OK for both .308 and &.7.62 Nato. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
You should be okay, mine's at 1.632" and runs NATO ammo just fine. When I talked to Krieger they recommended 1.631" - 1.633" to run either with.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
You should be okay, mine's at 1.632" and runs NATO ammo just fine. When I talked to Krieger they recommended 1.631" - 1.633" to run either with.
Yes to the above. Either 7.62x51 Nato or .308 commercial can be used in a 1.631 chamber. dozier

·
Registered
558 Posts
You are perfectly safe with a 1.631" headspace. 7.62 NATO and 308 Winny are externally dimensionally the same, and as long as the ammo you are shooting is not pre-70's (which a thinking person might want to check) or made in some third world back alley, you are good to go....

But do be sure you know what kind of port and chamber pressures (what powder is the ammo loaded with and at what weight) will be generated with the ammo you are using....

If these things cant be determined, then just shoot known quality stuff.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
as long as the ammo you are shooting is not pre-70's (which a thinking person might want to check) or made in some third world back alley, you are good to go....

??? The third world part (even second world thinking about that bad Chilean stuff) I'm in agreement with. But what is it we need to know negatively about pre-70's?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes to the above. Either 7.62x51 Nato or .308 commercial can be used in a 1.631 chamber. dozier
Thanks dozier. That's what I was lookin for.
I mainly shoot either the Portuguese or the Radway green Brit stuff but got a deal on a small amount of Federal 168 gr.super match .308. Many thanks to all who replied.MCORPS1

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds like except for bedding you now have close to a national match. Good going, enjoy!
Bedding and a NM barrel. I'll wait until I wear this barrel out. With as much as I shoot, that should be this time next year!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts