M14 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. Just because they say it's all Mil Surp...ain't so.
2,Just becaused they say "cleaned and swagged "...ain't so.
3.JUst because they say "LC brass.once fired" ain't so.
4 Just because they say "500 + pieces" ain't so.

findings;
17 different headstamps in one batch...even one from 'TZ 58" (Israel 1958) some from Argentina, Mexico, 5 different Olin Winchester, win., WWW, etc.
Had to reswag all because found many not swagged in first batch. Found Remington and other civilian brass (not NATO) about 45-50 pcs. in all. Also found about 10 pcs with unfired primer(pulls ?)..and unless Winchester can't count holes in the primer packaging properly, I had nearly 40 primers left when the brass ran out.
Lessons learned;
Find a brass source that is reputable and stick with them. (I had been "stock-piling) over a period of 16-18 months and used probably 5 or 6 separate dealers.
WONDERFULLY GOOD STUFF;
I found an order from Bartlett ( I had squirreled away) that had 500 match 30-06 cases and they are freaking beautiful. I also found another 250 "match" .308 LC brass. (have no ideaa where I got them!). Interestingly, they are all marked "match", but some do NOT have the crennalated marking on the base.

Just so you know what I been doing...loading over 3000 rnds takes lot'sa powder. also used 155 smk, 168smk, 175smk long target stuff and 145 (pulls?),147 pulls, for plinking...and now for the carbine and M1 Garand.
DI2

·
Registered
656 Posts
There are two places I buy my brass on-line, one is for 300BLK; I always get several more cases than I ordered (anywhere from 5-10 per 250 order), and the only time I get anything other than reformed LC brass, they tell me up front there may be a few odd brand cases in the pile. The other place, I get my 7.62 brass, and it's been the same way. I did have issues on my last order that the primer pocket swage wasn't removed; just made a bit more work, but all 500 cases were LC. I have to assume they were once-fired, since the swage was still there after depriming.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
My experience with processed 'once-fired military' brass is a bit jaded. There was a lot of LC04 cases, 3 of which the heads blew out on and one separated. I had to cull through 2K cases and pull all the LC04 out. It was all NATO, but a number of different headstamps including some '60's and '70's era stuff.

Once I work through these cases, I think I will stick with my 'once-fired' brass, although it may cost me more up front.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Used Brass

1. Just because they say it's all Mil Surp...ain't so.
2,Just becaused they say "cleaned and swagged "...ain't so.
3.JUst because they say "LC brass.once fired" ain't so.
4 Just because they say "500 + pieces" ain't so.

findings;
17 different headstamps in one batch...even one from 'TZ 58" (Israel 1958) some from Argentina, Mexico, 5 different Olin Winchester, win., WWW, etc.
Had to reswag all because found many not swagged in first batch. Found Remington and other civilian brass (not NATO) about 45-50 pcs. in all. Also found about 10 pcs with unfired primer(pulls ?)..and unless Winchester can't count holes in the primer packaging properly, I had nearly 40 primers left when the brass ran out.
Lessons learned;
Find a brass source that is reputable and stick with them. (I had been "stock-piling) over a period of 16-18 months and used probably 5 or 6 separate dealers.
WONDERFULLY GOOD STUFF;
I found an order from Bartlett ( I had squirreled away) that had 500 match 30-06 cases and they are freaking beautiful. I also found another 250 "match" .308 LC brass. (have no ideaa where I got them!). Interestingly, they are all marked "match", but some do NOT have the crennalated marking on the base.

Just so you know what I been doing...loading over 3000 rnds takes lot'sa powder. also used 155 smk, 168smk, 175smk long target stuff and 145 (pulls?),147 pulls, for plinking...and now for the carbine and M1 Garand.
DI2
Ok so where did you get this brass. Vern

·
Super Moderator
11,174 Posts
Interestingly, they are all marked "match", but some do NOT have the crennalated marking on the base.
DI2
Match Brass without the crenulated markings is from M118NM ammo, this used the USGI 173grn bullets. With the crenulated marking its from M852 ammo, this ammo was loaded with the Sierra 168MK.

Reactions: 1100 tac

·
Rest in Peace
908 Posts
At first, I thought it was a good-old-boy word, like dayum. But it's for real. I'll bet that Bob is the only guy in SC who has ever used it. I can't wait for a chance to use it on some of my cartridge collector friends.

Ray

·
Registered
311 Posts
I was lucky about 4 years ago and was able to acquire 5000 pieces of new LC bras 07/06 completely unprocessed crimped primers still present,....this is the only way to buy once fired military brass, with the crimped primers there you know has only been fired once.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
I was lucky about 4 years ago and was able to acquire 5000 pieces of new LC bras 07/06 completely unprocessed crimped primers still present,....this is the only way to buy once fired military brass, with the crimped primers there you know has only been fired once.
+1. I will only buy processed brass from professional suppliers - people that I have done business with before and trust implicitly. I much, much prefer to buy unprocessed brass just so I can see what I'm getting.

·
Registered
35 Posts
There are two places I buy my brass on-line, one is for 300BLK; I always get several more cases than I ordered (anywhere from 5-10 per 250 order), and the only time I get anything other than reformed LC brass, they tell me up front there may be a few odd brand cases in the pile. The other place, I get my 7.62 brass, and it's been the same way. I did have issues on my last order that the primer pocket swage wasn't removed; just made a bit more work, but all 500 cases were LC. I have to assume they were once-fired, since the swage was still there after depriming.

Will you share where these two places are that you buy brass from?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts