M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Id like to think i have a lot of experience in this realm, but all my experience is with military grade equipment. there seems to be a lot of crap out there on the civilian market, and to get anything decent you have to take a second mortagage out on your house.

anyone here dabble in the realm of civilian night optics? im talking about rifle scopes, or monoculars (that you can strap to a head harness, helmet or rifle).

Again, im spoiled. i ran around with PVS14s, PAS-13V's, PVS-22's etc so on and so forth. I know that ill never able to afford the gen III stuff, but i hear gen II isent all that bad.

Whats good for the money?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I to would like to know a good answer to this question.

I have tried 2-3 different gen 1 NVG's and as u already know they aren't all there cracked up to be.

I scooped a Gen 2 monocular system from my step father that is an older Russian design. Optics are a better than the US gen 2 but not by much.

I'm in the process of trying to modify a PVS-14 rail mount to tryn mount the best Gen 1 monocular I have infront of a Swarski (sp) day scope I have. Isnt coming along real well as the eye relief sucks on all the Gen 1+2 stuff I have seen or own.

Thought I had come up with a reasonable set up a d showed it to a cop buddy of mine and he was less than impressed to say the least. Oops! I dodnt know such a thing was illegal in California! Guess I should have figured since everything else is.

5,445 Posts
Nightvision devices, within the State of California, are not illegal per se. They're illegal to possess and use when one is hunting mammals, birds, fish, and/or amphibians.

Thus, NVGs are only illegal when used to hunt with.

P.S. If its not taxed, it's illegal. Welcome to California!

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I'm not getting into another pissing contest about what is and isn't illegal in ca.!

As I stated, I mounted a night vision device on top of and in front of a day scope on a rifle.

Now again you and every other person can read the law however you like.

I believe that doing that is not legal in California. Now this set up I built looks beautiful in my safe and it will stay there until I leave the state.

Possession is not against the law and I never said or implied that it is.

A PVS-14 would by def be illegal in the state of California as it would be classified as a "sniper scope"

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Ca pc 468

Ir illumination and electronic magnification are illegal if they are or can be mounted to a rifle.

Says nothing about hunting. The hunting clause comes from 2005 case law and is not the same thing.

Although both laws suck and are poorly writen just like every other such law in PRK.

As stated I'm not getting into another pissing match. But for those who wonder I have given the Ca penal code pertaining to "sniper scopes." great wording ha!

As stated in prior post possession of NVG's or night vision devices is not illegal in PRK. But having night vision that has IR illumination AND electronic magnification AND are adaptable to be mounted to a rifle is illegal. Hence a PVS-14 that has a weapons mount made and designed for it is illegal in PRK wether it is mounted on a rifle or not.
The cheep POS I own is not designed to be mounted to a rifle therefore it is not by def illegal in PRK. I believe that now the one I have is illegal because I have modified the mount and the night vision device and it has both an IR illuminator and electronic magnifiacation

Therefor I shal destroy said device as soon as I get off work this morning. Don't need the NVG police locking me up!

·
Registered
5,751 Posts
I want a NV setup too... I read it's the IR illuminator that gets you in trouble in CA. Starlight setups are legal. Could be wrong. If I'm right in what I read I'd run a starlight NV setup with a detachable IR illuminator for outside of CA. Probably something like a dbal.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I too am looking into this because my tax return was wayyyy more than I expected. Time to stimulate the economy.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Fwiw, i know these are older but still do the job.

I have two anpvs-4's and one anpvs-7 nvd gen 3.

For shtf they will do just great!

I have seen a lot of commercial products, mostly russian or made with russian intensifiers, they imo they are all junk.

If you read the promo's for them, none tell the most important thing which is light amplification ratio.

Imports that i have seen are in the range of about 10-20 thousand and need an ir boost.

US 4's and 7's are in the 80k range. 7's have more noise than 4's because of light gathering fall off.

Have seen newer US Nvd's the only advantage is they are smaller.

On a budget, get a pv-4.

See my pics to see one 4 setup.

Let me add, you can get a ballistic reticle for 7.62 or 5.56 swapping is like changing a bulb. Also, AA battery adaptors are available.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Is true, good for finding kids in the dark. Not an invalid statement.

Again good marketing.

And I can't understand why y'all don't want to hear what legal in PRK and what's not. (sarcasm) I agree boys, bit remember someone out their is trying right now to do the same thing to you. Stay vigilant!

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I bought the Yukon 1X24 from Amazon for about $250. They're about as effective as the old PVS5s, similar distortion at the edge of the picture.

Not bad. I think they're worth the money. Not PVS14s, but better than a candle.

Hey that's one of the systems I tried to adapt to mount in front of day optics.

Didn't work to well, eye relief is crap!

As an NVG I agree with ya it isn't bad for the price. Definitely worth the money and better than being stuck in the dark. But this Yukon doesn't have a reticle and in my experience nit able to mount in front of day optics. So as for being a weapons mounted Night vision device IMO it doesn't work.

But if you figured out a way to make this work please tell!

·
Registered
999 Posts
I don't even know what to say.

That's the best price I've seen for that model so far though.
those are made in china, that is why cheap price and quality. mine are us made by itt.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Hey that's one of the systems I tried to adapt to mount in front of day optics.

Didn't work to well, eye relief is crap!

As an NVG I agree with ya it isn't bad for the price. Definitely worth the money and better than being stuck in the dark. But this Yukon doesn't have a reticle and in my experience nit able to mount in front of day optics. So as for being a weapons mounted Night vision device IMO it doesn't work.

But if you figured out a way to make this work please tell!
Put it on the headmount in front of your eyeball. It's not a weapon mounted NVG.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.