M14 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9,055 Posts
Buy a complete AR upper.
Buy a complete AR lower.
Put them together and boom Shaka laka. Go shoot and gave some fun. Don’t take on an M1a for your first. Too many special tools you won’t use again unless you intend on building more if the first goes well. Then there is the inexperience factor that could lead to undesired consequences.

·
Registered
9,055 Posts
If anyone is wanting to build an M14 from scratch - you will need some essentials. A lathe, set of headspace gauges, clamping tools, torquing tools, knurling tools..the rest are just the usual parts.

You estimate the headspace as described in the Kuhn ...book. if it is lacking ...or too much you most def need a lathe to take off or add material but swagging. Other than timing the barrel for the proper torque draw...there is nothing else. If you time the barrel and receiver to the specs....the receiver and bolt will pass any damn tilt test. The fine-tune comes when there is some kind of discrepancy of the test. then you need to tweak.
I am sorry but there is not a whole lot of tech stuff into these rifles - a moron can put this together and shoot fine. With the AR platform, you can even be dumber and put one together.

This rant may anger a lot or few...but that is my opinion. Take care.
I’m going to take a swag that most people, the average Joe 6 pack, don’t have a lathe sitting around the house. Just curious tho, how does one “add material” with a lathe. That’s a new one on me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts