M14 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting closer to building my m1a. It's really an experience deciding what I want to achieve with it.

I would love to have a match grade rifle built but I don't see myself shooting in any matches, at least seriously competing. My SA M1A standard outshoots me. It'll average well under 2in. groups at 100 yds. with good loads and the flute 1in. or so groups are getting more common. But that's not what I enjoy about the m1a. I enjoy attempting to shoot offhand with it. So that is why I've mostly decided to go with a standard grade and another chrome lined barrel.

I'm leaning very heavy toward a LRB barrelled receiver with their chrome lined barrel.

I'm thinking about doing the build myself. What are some of the things should I look out for and be aware of?

Also, should I ream the flash suppressor or leave it the way it is?

The parkerizing on some of the parts I have are different shades ranging from grey to almost green. Should I have them refinished or leave them as they are.

Who's a good source for the small parts (rear sight, bolt stop, gas plug, etc.) and would be able "to fill my bag"? What searching I've done shows that a lot of sources may not have all of the small parts.

Any comments or advise would be appreicated.

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions, It's killing me. Help! (But I'm enjoying it)

Thanks

Joe A.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Joe A.,

Sounds like a fun project. If it were me, I'd leave the flash hider alone unless it showed signs of bullets hitting it. Parkerizing is up to you; all the same shade is nice to look at, and might help rust resistance. There are a bunch of vendors, some on this forum, who have good reps. I've had personal experience with Orion, Fulton, and Bill Ricca. You'll probably have to shop around for everything. HTH.

Liftrat22

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.