M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I am looking to buy a new M1A in the near future and would appreciate some guidance. From what i have seen there are multiple barrel choices along with styles(socom, scout squad . . .) and i really dont know where to start. In the end i am looking for accuracy and quality. any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
what do you want to use the rifle for and what do you want to spend? the standard model is pretty accurate but for a few dollars more you can get the loaded model which has a heavier barrel for accuracy. if i were you i would choose between those two models. you can get quite the deal on a used standard.

·
Registered
576 Posts
My advice is to go through the qualified builders of LRB Rifles. I have 2 of their rifles and haven't had a problem with either. I'm not saying any of the other brand names are problematic but you get first quality and the options of a custom build from the start. I have both the 18.5" Tanker & 22" GI M14s with a medium weight barrel for improved accuracy. Either way you go take your time and plan your build. This rifle is a great amount of fun to shoot. I'm partial to my Tanker with the shorter Barrel.

Good luck

Reactions: Etool

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have an M1A scout, and other than premature wear of the bolt roller guide on the Op-rod its been a great rifle. I have 1000+ rounds downrange since Halloween. If i had the money I would have built an LBR.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will be using it for recreational shooting/hunting at a max of approx 500yds and im willing to spend a max of 2000.

Checked out the LRB website and i have to say they are very nice but i may have to wait a while till i can spend that much.

thanks for all the help

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
I will be using it for recreational shooting/hunting at a max of approx 500yds and im willing to spend a max of 2000.

Checked out the LRB website and i have to say they are very nice but i may have to wait a while till i can spend that much.

thanks for all the help

as i said before.....you will be happy with the "loaded" or the "standard". my advise now is: get the standard. it will be lighter weight to hunt with in the field than the loaded model and you can get one for around $1,200. spend the other $800 on a quality mount and scope (that is, if you plan on hunting with a scope). i hunt with my standard and i get 1.5 MOA out of it. i have shot my standard out to 600yds and connected with targets.

there are many options to choose from, and you should consider all of them. you can have something nicer than a standard M1A and you could also do much worse. the standard M1A is a great entry level M14 and you cant go wrong. the loaded model is also still a good choice and it will be more accurate out of the box.......but any M1A needs to be tweeked a little to get the max potential accuracy.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hey thanks charlene32 that sounds like the way i should go. im guessin you were referring to the Springfield Armory's standard/loaded M1A's and are there any tricks to finding a new rifle at a fair price?

thanks again for all the help

·
Registered
977 Posts
You may consider a Scout if you are looking at getting a standard and have some concerns with weight. From what I have read here (cuz about 100 yds is all I have taken mine out to, so I cannot give you real world experience beyond that) the SAI Scout is going to hold its own against a Standard at your distances and perhaps even further.

That said, the standard is cheaper in most instances.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
awt2d:

yes, Im talking about the Springfield line. you have to keep your eyes open, either on the PX here or gunbroker, but you can find either a new or slightly used Standard for $1,100-$1,200. you are going to pay around $200 more for one with a walnut stock. i always sell the stock it comes with and buy a good cheap GI stock.

the M1A standard is a good solid rifle that is affordable and provides an easy entry to the M14 platform. yes, LRBs are good; yes, custom builds are good; yes, the scout-squad 18" is good; yes, the national match is good; but for a noobie with limited funds, limited experience and has limited time to get involved in the multilayered sophistication of the more elite tiers and the options of heavy or short barrels that have certain POUs ect....you can get your feet wet with a simple no fills rack grade 22" barrel Standard. also, Springfield provides you with a lifetime warranty and they will make sure you have a working firearm.

this should give you a good chunk of change leftover for some nice optics, which i think you should shop 'top shelf' right off the bat. when you see what your M1A is capable of, you are going to regret getting cheap glass.......and it is usually easier to resell a rifle for what you paid for than it is optics. but before you do, become one wtih the irons sights first. the M14 has the best sights of any rifle IMO, and the only reason my rifle is scoped is because i hunt with it.

i also recommend that you heed other opinions here, for mine is just one. but i feel that for the money that you could sink into a forged LRB and GI parts and or custom gunsmithing ect...just to get an elite grade/collector style M14 type, you could use that money for a simple yet decked out M1A Standard (or Loaded) with some wiz-bang optics and a collection of magazines and ammo.

·
Registered
8,681 Posts
Loaded. Pretty simple. You want accuracy and quality. The step up to the NM barrel is worth every penny.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I was at the very same point last summer, I went with the Loaded in a Walnut stock. Check GB for a seller called "supohunter", I gave $1375 for mine, NIB.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I would go to your local gunstore and handle as many Springfield M1A models they have. Research here and ask questions on what to look for. Choose your rifle carefully and slowly like a wife.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I wanted my first to be the M21, but I couldn't afford it. I bought a loaded and was never happy. Then I built the M21 and couldn't be happier. Point is, never settle on something because of money limitation. Find away to make it happen even if the project takes years. In the end it is more rewarding plus you'd probably have saved money and time.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.